Semi custom Remmy.

baldie

Here's one I finished last week , and it gave pause for thought. More of which later.

IMG_2562_zps7efc1d48.jpg

This was an old rem, used by its owner until the std barrel had gone. It came in with a jewell trigger [ set as heavy as it could be ] and that was about it.

The brief was to rebarrel, restock, bed and paint. Deposit was paid, and work was mapped out. The customer then said he required a 1/2" moa guarantee with factory ammunition. i politely declined and offered to refund his deposit.

After a chat, he was happy to proceed.

IMG_2563_zpsefed75ce.jpg

Firstly, the action was stripped and basic blueprinted. This involves refacing the receiver, cutting the action threads oversize, recutting the abuttments and also recutting the bolt lug faces and bolt face.

Then a Bergara sporter weight barrel was fitted at around 22" , screwcut 1/2" unf and fitted with an A-tec Maxim. The barrel is a 1 in 8" twist .243 calibre.

A manners GAT stock was chosen, and a Third Eye floorplate milled out for and then bedded in. Pillars are fitted, and the action given a proper devcon bedding job, and NOT a bedding block.

The stock was then painted in Danish Flectarn pattern and the metalwork in OD green. A matt lacquer was then applied to the stock to reduce glare...this is a stalking rifle after all.

IMG_2564_zps28956232.jpg

A stainless steel one piece 20 MOA rail completed the set up.

IMG_2565_zpsdd96d472.jpg

Many people would turn their nose up at such a gun. Its built from so called "budget" parts such as..

Remington action

Bergara barrel

Lee dies used to load the ammo.

Remington brass.

These are the first 6 shots out of the gun, shot yesterday at Diggle in wet and blustery conditions, and witnessed by Vince.

The large disc was bore sighted upon. The first two rounds went through the same hole, the third, i think, caught by a gust. This was with some old 70 grain SMK loads I had kicking around.

IMG_2566_zps623f9dce.jpg

The second group was with sierra SMK,s but they are 107 grain, not 105 as i,ve written on the target. Just a mid range powder load, chosen completely at random from the Lee manual and loaded at SAAMI length.

Kinda makes you think how much crap is spoken about what an action, must or mustn't be, or do doesn't it? Same for brass, dies, bullets and fanning around with them.

I,ve always been of the firm belief that an action must have 2 things Al.

A square receiver face and both bolt lugs bearing. After that its so much dick waving.

Make everything square from front to back, and a gun will shoot regardless of what its made from.

Just when things were looking quiet for Xmas.

Nice one ,Dave-this could be lively!

It's likely-I think very well supported,really,almost without a negative-that skilled gunsmithing never does any harm,and generally improves.Premium components likewise,though the two (top components and smith skill) usually go together. Average assembly/average component rifles are available by the million.

Top smith/average components are probably fairly rare ('average' essentially means 'factory',rather than custom.And the last option (custom components/ mediocre assembly ) is hopefully very small.

So don't expect statistical answers(that we can have confidence in),but it could be interesting on one off's....and probabilities and experiences.

Last time I tried it on a relatively small sample of rifles,but large sample of their performance,it was running about £1k for each .1moa gain (starting from 'factory' .5moa ),but that of course is only one measure of precision,and not of satisfaction of other kinds!

gbal

well i don't have a fraction of your knowledge dave but i think all the fanning around with bullets and brass and a good solid custom action will show more at 1000 yards than 100.i damn well hope so after all the money i have spent and time learning brass prep over the years .

sure wasn't dick waving because thats nothing special :blush: and i'm poor .

Nice looking rifle youve put together there Dave.

What more could be expected from a stalking rifle?

Superb accuracy, wonder if the "owner" can achive this level of accuracy as we've seen what it's capable of in your hands.

Looks great Dave

perfect for stalking.

Did you test it with some factory as well - certainly a shooter with home loads

No I didn't Andy...didn't have anything handy. To be fair, both reloads were middle of the range powder wise, chosen from what seemed most suitable, and bullets loaded at SAAMI length. Not a lot different to a factory load really.

5 first shot,cold ,clean bore with hunting bullets that 'group' in 1moa...or..

5 bench rest shot bug bullets in .2 moa bug hole group.....

Some rifles might do both,but if not which one do you want? (does anyone stalk bugs?) :-)

gbal

Archived