what is the best chronograph to buy?

Been using the Magneto today with a mixture of TMJ, Plated and lead .45 ACP bullets shot from 840 - 1700+ fps. Handled all of them with ease, even the slow ones :)

Series 1 Shots: 20 Min 825 Max 869 Avg 844 S-D 11 ES 44 Series Shot Speed 1 1 840 ft/sec 1 2 869 ft/sec 1 3 825 ft/sec 1 4 843 ft/sec 1 5 842 ft/sec 1 6 852 ft/sec 1 7 856 ft/sec 1 8 829 ft/sec 1 9 837 ft/sec 1 10 843 ft/sec 1 11 863 ft/sec 1 12 835 ft/sec 1 13 843 ft/sec 1 14 845 ft/sec 1 15 855 ft/sec 1 16 842 ft/sec 1 17 841 ft/sec 1 18 835 ft/sec 1 19 859 ft/sec 1 20 841 ft/sec ---- ---- ---- ---- Series 2 Shots: 20 Min 1757 Max 1816 Avg 1782 S-D 15 ES 59 Series Shot Speed 2 1 1791 ft/sec 2 2 1816 ft/sec 2 3 1795 ft/sec 2 4 1794 ft/sec 2 5 1774 ft/sec 2 6 1766 ft/sec 2 7 1798 ft/sec 2 8 1792 ft/sec 2 9 1768 ft/sec 2 10 1767 ft/sec 2 11 1786 ft/sec 2 12 1766 ft/sec 2 13 1757 ft/sec 2 14 1798 ft/sec 2 15 1759 ft/sec 2 16 1787 ft/sec 2 17 1781 ft/sec 2 18 1791 ft/sec 2 19 1795 ft/sec 2 20 1772 ft/sec ---- ---- ---- ----

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive used numerous Chronographs.

Oehler 35

Magnetospeed

Theyre the two ive bought and kept.

Id like something that can be used down range near the target to check BC and ajust accordingly with drop tables / electronic software - the acoustic chronographs may be the solution to this .....

Id like something that can be used down range near the target to check BC and ajust accordingly with drop tables / electronic software - the acoustic chronographs may be the solution to this .....

I've an Accoustic one you can try if you like?

This is where the Steinert SuperPro comes into its own - with its acoustic functionality and large sensing envelope it's idea for downrange use.

I've an Accoustic one you can try if you like?

Thanks Andy

What is the "window" area of sensetivity on these - id like to do some tests using a Magneto at the muzzle and another chrono down range (protected) at the target - 100, 200, 300 etcW

Well that was the idea

Thanks Andy

What is the "window" area of sensetivity on these - id like to do some tests using a Magneto at the muzzle and another chrono down range (protected) at the target - 100, 200, 300 etcW

Well that was the idea

I would guess at about half a meter to a meter but i've never used it down range particularity I shall dig out the literature tonight and see what it says and get back to you. I'm that sad i tested at night too and it works still!

Will call later on.

Thanks Andy

Well that was the idea

The Steinert SuperChrono has a fairly large area of sensitivity (see below) - I've used mine at 100m & 200m so far with good results.

75bcdd8b421ff75bf66a007ce76b88fd.jpg

The only problem I've encountered is when using it to measure muzzle velocity, if the unit is too close to the muzzle is can be confused by supersonic gasses and pick up on these rather than the bullet itself - the unit must be 10'/3m from the muzzle. As long as this is taken into consideration, it's very accurate.

• 1 year later...

I have a Magnetospeed V1, and I've found that on Palma profile 308, 223, and straight taper 6mm and 6.5mm barrels, it can affect POI to a small degree.

However, it's purpose is to determine muzzle velocity, and it does this accurately and VERY conveniently.................waiting in the pouring rain for the hooter to go before retrieving one's chrony used to be a pain in the ar*e...............

H/man

I see that the mylabradar is now generally available in the US for pre-order http://www.buymylabradar.com/ But at that price I think I'll stick with my Magnetospeed v3

The makers have taken orders but from posts on the Accurate Shooter Forum, it's obvious that very few have been fulfilled to date and it's still a 'jam tomorrow' situation. Moreover, some of those that have been sent out were quickly recalled for modification. Bryan Litz has given his impressions of an early production example and it generally works well although it failed to pick up FMJ bullets from .223 Rem. This it is surmised may not be simply down to their small cross-section, but also being FMJs have open concave bases which don't offer a flat surface for the radar pulses to reflect off.

The Dolphin Gun Company has signed up as our importer / distributor and has had an order in for some time now, so far with no supply AFAIK.

Andy and Andy, the Labradar gives continuous velocity readouts for the bullet flight up to 100 yards from the muzzle at whatever intervals the user preselects so the BC can be calculated for this (high-velocity) part of the flight anyway. Bryan Litz confirms this works well.

I'm awaiting their arrival here with interest as an intriguing technical concept, but not exactly with bated breath. It may be the way of the future though (or not as the case may be) and cheaper, higher spec, and affordable developments of the type could be the norm 5 or 10 years in the future.

Im with Ronin , on this , have a 35P & have just brought a magnetospeed V3 , had a shooting chrnoy decades ago , absolute rubbish , lasted a very short time , and No , I did not shoot IT .

I will say the labradar looks good , it seems to be having some issues , so to me its not really sorted out yet , so to me even given you cannot buy right now , it may need a bit more time to develope into a usuable mature system .

So right now , I would only reccomend the 2 that I have brought .

Here is the Accurate Shooter link for those interested:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3871199.0

Note that it now runs to 108 posts, 8 pages and 12,000 plus views showing the interest in the device, not to mention the frustration of those who've placed orders and can't get a firm response from the maker on delivery.

• 5 months later...

I have and use a V3, I have tested it versus our indoor Commercial Chrono system and its within 1% of a £20K calibrated system, so I can safely vouch that its a quality piece of equipment. I fact we tested these for the Importer and every one we tested was accurate to with 1%

I have also used a Labradar at 1000 yds and it worked very well, once the triggers had been set and it stopped picking up other shooters next to me

We have 50 Labradar units on order, but now dont even get replies to our emails asking on a delivery date :angry:

personally I would rather wait to see that issues are ironed out in US before we start selling them

Mik

That (the results from your accuracy testing of the V3) is encouraging, Mik. On Labradar, it seems the company is now sending out 40 units at a time with shipments some weeks apart, but there is still a large backlog of pre-orders going back a year or more. Those who received one from the November batch are going on American forums saying the devices work well, and are easy to set up and use .... but they eat batteries.

I spoke to Spud as I only wanted a chrono for .308 and possibly 6.5 creedmore (potential future acquisition) and he recommended I buy the MagnetoSpeed Sporter.

I tried it for load development and was very impressed - it picked up all 50 rounds fired that day with realistic velocities reported/ expected.

It DID however change the POI significantly (15" high and 3" right) but known good loads still produced the same group size whether fitted or not - so its consistent. My barrel is a 610mm Heavy Varmint.

It also never shifted/ required adjustment throughout the day - my barrel is Ceracoated so adds some purchase for the strap to grip to.

Before I bought the MagnetoSpeed I tried the Steinert Superchrono and though good it does have to be positioned several feet from the muzzle i.e. down range/ forward of the firing line to deliver accurate readings.

The V3 has a host of benefits over the Sporter model but the accuracy of readings is the same - the sensors are the same but different/ superior software with the V3.

I recommend the Sporter model if (like me) your on a budget and only want to test on HV Calibers.

I use a MS sporter as well with the Iphone adaptor for easier readings.

Only issue are the provided barrel spacers, too thick for a bull barrel. I use a piece of bycicle's tyre inner tube.

Stu47 15" high and 3" right!! At what distance was that? Surely not 100? Got to say on my DTA the v3 makes no difference at all to the poi or the accuracy: but I think that might be due to the uber short 16" barrel and the fact that the first 7" of the barrel are engaged by the action.

Stu47 15" high and 3" right!! At what distance was that? Surely not 100? Got to say on my DTA the v3 makes no difference at all to the poi or the accuracy: but I think that might be due to the uber short 16" barrel and the fact that the first 7" of the barrel are engaged by the action.

On my 20" and 24" barrels it only moves the POI by around 1/2 to 2/3 of an inch high at 100 yards. Doesn't seem to affect group size either.

I will most definitely have a Labradar when they eventually arrive. For the serious long range competition shooter these will be difficult to beat, it's just a pity they're being so slow but I haven't heard any negatives about them yet, other than what Laurie mentioned about them eating batteries.

My plan is to use a Magnetospeed, Oehler 35p and Labradar all at the same time, you can never have enough chronographs :)

POI change isn't only caused by the 'bayo' weight hanging on the end of the barrel, but by its affecting the muzzle blast and deflecting the bullet slightly, in the direction of 180-deg from the 'bayo' position. You can mount the device at any point around the barrel but most people will put it on at the 6 o'clock position. (I do.)This therefore tends to deflect shots upwards.

Using it on a new 6BR barrel last week running the barrel in and doing initial load development, there was around three-quarters inch vertical difference between 'bayo' on and off at 100 yards, the first 'off' group low.

The method I usually use now in initial load development is to load one extra round per charge weight batch (usually making it 4 rounds) and shoot one round from each with the Magnetospeed on to see MVs and check on pressure signs - ease of extraction or otherwise, primers, case-heads being marked etc. The 'bayo' is then removed and the remaining 3 rounds in each charge weight fired to see how they group and if required rezero. This doesn't tell you about velocity ES / SD of course, this having to be done subsequently, but I usually fine-tune charges around initially promising loads anyway.

Archived