The Diggle Egg Shoot

The Gun Pimp

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As always - 3 shots at 100 yards, 3 shots at 300 yards and 3 shots at 500 yards on the groundhog target. Then, one shot at the egg at 500 yards - £100 if you break it.

Shooters can look at their targets between distances.

There are so many 'one hole' guns on UkV it will be a tough shoot if they come Gun Pimp

yes there is a lot of one hole guns but i'll hazard not so many one hole shooters!

Sadly I am unavoidably doing something else this weekend and will miss both the Egg shoot and the F Class comp.

Annoying to say the least.

Id love to see the one hole groups from one hole guns too :lol:

Can I bring my own egg ? (Now searching google for ostrich egg suppliers)

Pete

Still probably wouldn't help! :P

I'll be there.

One place to see rather a lot of one hole groups is a 100y bench rest competition,where they are the norm,and good competitors will shoot 5 such,each around calibre size.

One of the really interesting features of the 'Egg Shoot" is that it is realistic data on what a range of shooters and equipment typically can do,especially the ground hog targets.Touching shots in the head are occur at 100y,though not routinely,three body shots at 300 are entirely possible,but if there are any 'pro rata' one hole groups at 500,then they are not often on the groundhog card.

It seems a serious (but fun of course) indication of just how difficult such targets are at such ranges,even with top shooter/equipment.This is no criticism at all,just reality,and needs to be considered along with '4/5 gong hits at 890 yards with my 223'-again,possible but not entirely consistent with the public "egg shoot" larger sample data.

Add in the results from the recent Round House shoot-admittedly in the most awful conditions-and the same conclusion emerges-even the very best can miss at 500 yards.

So if you are a 'newbie' or average shooter,wondering why you can't bang and clang every time,well...

not many can...as the great wildcatter Landis said more than 70 years ago,claimed first shot hits at distance may well have an element of randomness in them( and Litz shows why,with modern math) What makes for accuracy and precision,is doing it repeatedly...and the best test of a bench rest rifle is that it can hit a fly at 100y-given two shots,and a fly that does not move between the shots.( you hand me your rifle,I click the scope a few clicks off,you then get a shot at the fly-which will now miss,but you adjust your rig,using this miss hole,and the good ones will hit the fly second shot........ and third etc,if you can read any wind changes!

But you won't replicate this at the Fly shoot-

Its an exact science,but there aren't any eggsact shooters!!

Good luck.

Gbal

we shoot the egg shoot at our club , the winner this year was using a 223 and all nine shots were on the groundhog , however the egg remains untouched for a second year now............

we shoot the egg shoot at our club , the winner this year was using a 223 and all nine shots were on the groundhog , however the egg remains untouched for a second year now............

That is very decent shooting by the winner...how did 5th,10th do?

If we grant that a 'one hole' rifle might be 1/2 moa at 100y,and extrapolate to 500 ('pro rata'),then we have something around 2 1/2 inches,which is near enough the width of the groundhog?But the groundhog is about 8 inches tall,isn't (s)he ?

It's still good shooting indeed,but does not seriously challenge... " if there are many one hole groups (pro rata) at 500y,then they are not often on the groundhog"...

Granted a hit is a hit,sort of-ethics aside,as it's a target-but such performance is not modal/typical,even among good shooters,,and I'd expect not to be too far down the list of performances before misses were appearing....NOT a criticism,more a support for the claim that it's difficult to be so consistent,and all credit to those who can be!

Still,maybe they will turn up in numbers at the shoot,and the statistics will be more errr...' balanced'.....I'm not sure there is a word for it ,but it probably isn't 'representative of the normal shooting population to date',or at least of available competition results-maybe we'll get more on here...? :-)

Gbal

I shot this few years ago as guest with some keeper mates . Had real good day out and 9shots on the ground hog was well chuffed

I mite have rifle up and running it's ok to come as guest with my fac and join in ??

Thanks Jon

You dont need to put all nine rounds on the groundhog to win. The other fact to note is that the comp is downward scoring so nick a line and you drop points very easily. In that respect smaller calibres hold an advantage, certainly at 100 yards.

Archived