The Diggle Egg Shoot

The Gun Pimp

Whatever you have just come along and have a laugh and be prepared to have the p*ss taken out of you!

But you can dish it back which makes Diggle comps a very good laugh and lots of jolly japes and lashings of ginger beer!

:):D:lol:

And its at the civilised end of the country, albeit the wrong side of the pennines (just). :lol:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And its at the civilised end of the country, albeit the wrong side of the pennines (just). :lol:

They tell me Diggle was in God's Own Country, the West Riding part, until Ted Heath's local government reorganisation in the 1970s. So .... that's another strike against that late and little lamented politician alongside taking us into the EC on the basis of it being solely an economic partnership.

I have a different date on my calendar for the egg shoot and I don't see it on the Diggle Ranges calendar. Please confirm the real date as I need to start conning my good lady very soon.

I have a different date on my calendar for the egg shoot and I don't see it on the Diggle Ranges calendar. Please confirm the real date as I need to start conning my good lady very soon.

its not on the calender as such but at the top of calender page

I shot this few years ago as guest with some keeper mates . Had real good day out and 9shots on the ground hog was well chuffed

I mite have rifle up and running it's ok to come as guest with my fac and join in ??

Thanks Jon

Yes Jon - all FAC holders are welcome

I shot this few years ago as guest with some keeper mates . Had real good day out and 9shots on the ground hog was well chuffed

I mite have rifle up and running it's ok to come as guest with my fac and join in ??

Thanks Jon

Yes Jon - all FAC holders

Brillo,

It's the second bank Holiday Monday in May.

are welcome

you not at Catton

Hopefully, i broke my nightforce (crap!) so that's had to be sent back.. trying to find a cheap moa scope to use for a couple of weeks.

Started hand loading though, so thats a bonus

being daft i unscrewed the zero stop too far.. not sure how long it'll take to get repaired.

I'm hoping for a Sightron to come up for sale that i can use for a bit then sell on, could use the scope off the rimfire but it's got 1/8" clicks so its a pain

I hit with all but two of mine , the wind blew them slightly left , it was a tricky wind day !

Well,pretty good as these things go-and here's some comparison results which helpperspective-of course,with two shots not on target (presumably at 500,or 300-probably both 500 windy,so only a one shot 500 group on target...it happens!

These are the US NSRA National championships ,so generally quite good shooters,held in good conditions ,Sacramento -and reported in some detail in AccurateShooter daily bulletin:

600yards,aggregates of 6x5 shot groups-most don't vary much from the aggregate-they are consistent shooters;

1st 3.1 inches......30th 6.3 inches.

So roughly 1/2 to 1 moa,and that would be 21/2 to 5 inches at 500y...how wide is the groundhog? If it's around 3" wide ((and 8" tall-which isn't the main problem,really) that suggests quite a lot of shots would not be hits.....and many groups would not have had all 5 shots on the groundhog.

This is very good shooting,nonetheless-the focus is not to point out imperfection,but to give some-quite a lot,if you look at competitions- real world evidence of just what good shooters can do,and by implication,perhaps ,what isn't done very often,even under excellent conditions with very good equipment/shooters.

Maybe we'll get some reasonable weather at the Egg shoot,and some of these tack drivers here will turn up,and pepper the poodle at 500y. There will be some misses.

The egg of course remains something of a lottery,but the odds are much reduced for those who can shoot inside a 1/2 moa envelope at 500y- about 3 in 5 such shots would yolk it.

Good luck for that,and good enjoyable shooting to all who take part.

Gbal

We shoot eggs often... We have lines of them set out at given distances. We only use .17HMR's on them and my personal best is 250 yrds. (Using Mil Dots as hold overs... No clicks!)

I've not tried using my .223 on the eggs yet, but I can happily ring a 12" x 10" gong at 500 yrds round after round! (Admittedly, they are a bit sporadic on the steel, but I'm happy!)

Hope you can make the Egg Shoot Jay.

Unfortunately I won't be able to... But now I know it's a real thing, I'll plan for it next year! :-)

Interested in giving this a go, what time does it start please, and more importantly what's the earliest you could shoot and get away, as unfortunately being a bank holiday family commitments are high on the agenda!

Regards Grouse

It's really an all-day comp. starting about 9.30am and finishing about 3.30pm.

The family? Bring 'em along - if they don't want to watch you, the village of Uppermill is close by - very touristy - canal boat, museum, shops, cafes, pubs etc.

It's really an all-day comp. starting about 9.30am and finishing about 3.30pm.

The family? Bring 'em along - if they don't want to watch you, the village of Uppermill is close by - very touristy - canal boat, museum, shops, cafes, pubs etc.

Thanks for the info.

By family commitments, I should have said we are committed later in the day, but will have a powwow!

Archived