Tikka T3 in 6mmbr

Having had this rifle built last year I've never had the pleasure of shooting it until today.

"Ronin" has done a stunning job.

Spec,

S/S T3 action

Border Barrel (t3 contour) finished @ 28"

Pillar/devcon into GRS stock

S/S T3 picatinny rail

S/S shroud and bolt.

image_zps582fb8af.jpg

One night last week I made 15 rounds to shoot/clean the barrel in.

Done the optimal charge weight one lunch time and the made 15 load development rounds.

They consisted of new Lapua brass, varget (31/31.3/31.6grn (5 of each) charge weights) and a 87grn v-max seated 10 thou off the lands.

They were shot at 100 yards with the barrel allowed to cool between each shot, shooting them round-robin style.

The 3, 5 shot groups are below

image_zps486e59df.jpg

Its first outing this morning prone in the mud with a bipod and rear bag, to say Iam happy with the outcome is a massive understatement I'm over the bloody moon!!!

Thanks again Ronin for a great rifle, looking to strech it's legs tomorrow on the gongs.

Thanks for looking,

Tidy group in middle , if you can repeat that job done ! What trigger have ye on thy straight shooter ? -cheers tim.

Very nice mate, Andy is a good man, he knows his stuff, he rebarreled my Tikka 595 to a 6.5x47 + lots of other extras,

The rifle is a joy to shoot with and the finished product is excellent.

Tony.

Simon mate that is insane. I am loving that. Lol. Middle load it is. Where you gonging tomorrow? I may be around if an invite is sent my way. Late notice n all.

All the best CZV

I've been wanting a 6mmbr for a while now, and after seeing this, I want one more !!! What's the recoil like on the br ? I've shot a fair few different calibres, so what would it compare to ? Something like a .243 ?

Cheers chaps,

Scotch egg its was your thread on the 6mmbr that Andy did for you that made my mind up for this build, do you still use yours?

Still got a load to work up for the 105a-max, might even try a 75grn v-max just to see how it shoots but they would be no where near the lands.

I'll find out if it's repeatable today, pretty sure the rifle is just hope Iam upto it....

The trigger is just the factory job which Andy has worked some magic on,

Recoil is barley noticeable rimmie,

CZV just shooting gongs from the garden! We will organise an afternoon, then a night out after ginger.

I've been wanting a 6mmbr for a while now, and after seeing this, I want one more !!! What's the recoil like on the br ? I've shot a fair few different calibres, so what would it compare to ? Something like a .243 ?

As you may well know,felt recoil is a function of powder/bullet (more=More) and rifle weight (more=less),to at least a first approximation.The 6BR recoils less than the 243,there is simply less powder.(by 1/3..33 v 44 g on average,ballpark).

But bear in mind most 6BR rifles are heavier than 'stalking' 243 rifles,by design (to reduce recoil even more).A moderator tames both,if need be,but 6BR recoils noticeably less than a 243.

It is an accurate cartridge-again bear in mind it is seldom shot from a basic factory rifle.

Gbal

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having had this rifle built last year I've never had the pleasure of shooting it until today.

"Ronin" has done a stunning job.

Spec,

S/S T3 action

Border Barrel (t3 contour) finished @ 28"

Pillar/devcon into GRS stock

S/S T3 picatinny rail

S/S shroud and bolt.image_zps582fb8af.jpg

One night last week I made 15 rounds to shoot/clean the barrel in.

Done the optimal charge weight one lunch time and the made 15 load development rounds.

They consisted of new Lapua brass, varget (31/31.3/31.6grn (5 of each) charge weights) and a 87grn v-max seated 10 thou off the lands.

They were shot at 100 yards with the barrel allowed to cool between each shot, shooting them round-robin style.

The 3, 5 shot groups are belowimage_zps486e59df.jpg

Its first outing this morning prone in the mud with a bipod and rear bag, to say Iam happy with the outcome is a massive understatement I'm over the bloody moon!!!

Thanks again Ronin for a great rifle, looking to strech it's legs tomorrow on the gongs.

Thanks for looking,

I am liking them groups, looks like just a case of a good moment on the trigger

• 3 weeks later...

I got the 87grn v-max to feed fine out of a factory .22/250/.243/.308 mag by increasing the block at the back of the mag by 1/2" by carefully taking the mag to bits and adding a cut piece of plastic glueing into place and cutting the same off the follower if that make sense? The rifle is now in a different stock using a AI .308 mag and feeds flawlessly.

Swarovski1 the rifle is a shooter, Sunday afternoon plinking resulted in a 1 3/4" 15 shot group at 470yards on the fox gong with the 87grn v-max, it opened up to 2 1/2 inch 5 shot group a 470y using a 75grn v-max load I was trying. I'll be sticking with the 87's from now on the load is so accurate at range.

I got the 87grn v-max to feed fine out of a factory .22/250/.243/.308 mag by increasing the block at the back of the mag by 1/2" by carefully taking the mag to bits and adding a cut piece of plastic glueing into place and cutting the same off the follower if that make sense? The rifle is now in a different stock using a AI .308 mag and feeds flawlessly.

SNIP

Thanks very much for the info. So you are reducing the magazine internal length then, a bit like the 223/204 magazines? Can I be nosey an ask how long a COAL the magazine will allow?

I also have a stock that allows the use of AICS magazines. Did they have to be modified as well?

Sorry for all the Qs, but I miss my old 6BR and when my 260 barrel is toast then I'll go back to it but only if it can be a reliable repeater.

Hi Guesty,

The block added was .3" (not .5" as quoated) allowing a col of 2.5" this was in a .243 factory mag.

When I was fiddling with the .243 mag I also removed the follower and spring, and turned the spring from looking like a "3" to looking like a "E" this stopped the little case from "nose diving" back into the mag but caused problems with the bolt not picking up the last round. To solve this I cut the spring down and moved it about until the pressure point was where I wanted it on the follower then glued it in place, a bit of a fiddle but worked a treat

The best thing I think for the standard factory mag would be to use the .223 mag with the longer feed lips, reduce the size of the block at the back of the mag to allow for the maximum col you will use. The under side of the feed lips would need filed down to allow the round to sit " higher " in the mag so that the bolt catches it when been cycled. This would also require the use of the follower from the .243 mag. Either that or try to extend the feed lips on a .243 mag with devcon allow to cure and file into shape.

Second had t3 mags go for as little as £25 if dont mind spending a few hours fiddling to make them work. The only reason I changed was the grs stock was to nice to be scratched and knocked about out foxing! I converted both 3 and 5 shot factory mags used them in my .22/250 also.

That was a while ago, glad its shooting well Simon.

The 6mm BR is a fine little cartridge, much underrated for its ability to manage deer.

Accuracy is usually stunning.

Skany, yours is coming along nicely..

What bits have you got Andy?

When my .22/250 gives up the ghost I'm not sure wether to go 6br foxer (58-75grn bullet weight) or stick with the .22/250 and go 69grn sierra tmk pushed hard, either way it will be light weight and used with the drone pro.

Out of curiosity how you getting on with your drone now?

Mines been faultless since getting one of the custom mounts off Neil.

Cheers,

Simon

What bits have you got Andy?

When my .22/250 gives up the ghost I'm not sure wether to go 6br foxer (58-75grn bullet weight) or stick with the .22/250 and go 69grn sierra tmk pushed hard, either way it will be light weight and used with the drone pro.

Out of curiosity how you getting on with your drone now?

Mines been faultless since getting one of the custom mounts off Neil.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon

Ref drone

used it 2x without issues and thats it

I just havent had the time!

New rifle will force the issue no doubt:-P

Mcmillan Sako varmint

Tikka 595

22" 1-12 fluted light/lightish varmint zero freebore for the light bullets

ceracoat black

should be miles lighter than my current foxing/long range BR & still have great MV & accuracy/light recoil benifits that come with the BR!:-)

cheers Andy

Archived