Mendip Quarry Challenge Spring 2014 - Cancelled

oaken

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey Rup, after all your hard work, how annoying for you! What a shame!

Yes, I'm gutted for all of us but hopefully something positive will come from it. I found the limited ranges we were shooting to be quite frustrating.

I'm doing tactical dog walking from now on, hoping to meet an accommodating landowner :-)

Last weekend saw the police out in force to stop a practical shotgun competition.

Did the Police actually attend or just receive complaints, it is estimated from the PSG Website that promoted the event that 15,000 rounds were fired at the match, so its not surprising that noise became an issue. I wonder what the landowner expected they would be doing?

I'm almost lost for words and feel really sorry for everyone involved - you must be feeling terrible right now :( .

The greater the number of these style of rifle shoots that are run properly in this country, the better it is for everyone involved. You've built up a great reputation, so hopefully there will be a similar venue within reach that could be used in the future. A couple of evenings with a good glass of something, OS maps and Google Earth is probably a good starting point :)

I'm almost lost for words and feel really sorry for everyone involved - you must be feeling terrible right now :( .

The greater the number of these style of rifle shoots that are run properly in this country, the better it is for everyone involved. You've built up a great reputation, so hopefully there will be a similar venue within reach that could be used in the future. A couple of evenings with a good glass of something, OS maps and Google Earth is probably a good starting point :)

Funny that, I've spent the last six hours scouring os maps, looking for contour lines near touching, hollows, old quarries etc.

Yes, the police actually tipped up. :(

As copied and pasted from the host clubs website.......

PSG Team Challenge (30th March 2014).

This year saw the inaugural run of the PSG Team Challenge at the Gurney Slade Quarry.

26 Teams / 78 Shooters. all leading to about 12,000 + rounds safely down range.

The weather stayed fine lucky for us as 6 weeks ago, wed have been several feet underwater in places !

Congratulations to Team Tunnel consisting of Mike Derby, Cansh Pope and Mark Sienesi, who took first place.

Click HERE for the team results. Individual Scores can be found HERE.

Note for Individual scores, where Teams shot together (i.e. Stages 5, 6 and 7), each person gets awarded a 1/3rd of the total points scored.

Well done to Neil, Graham and all those who helped run and shoot the event.

A thoroughly enjoyable day we look forward the next Open Match in August !

Ashley

Yeah, no bloody wonder the locals got seriously peeved. That's got to be worse than me being at work, my average daily usage is about 3-5000 rounds, and normally from SA80's. I think I'd be pished off too with 12,000+ 12g's going off

Somehow though, I don't think the August PSG shoot will happen for them

???????

Even though it's now been mentioned on the 4islands forum, they all seem to be conveniently skipping over the part where the noise issues were mentioned by a couple of people, and are instead just slapping each other on the back about how much fun it was.

That's PSGer's for you....as long as they're ok the don't give a rats behind about anyone else

What an absolute bummer, I was really looking forward to this and I so feel for all those who invested their time and money for this . Can we try and coordinate the next challenge for the same day as the Psg challenge , at least that sorts the moving targets out !!

if it's ok with you rup. I for one would be happy to leave the money in the bag for H4H , As well as the day being for us to play , it was also to raise money for the charity and I would still like to see some pennies go their way . I'd put it to one side for this anyway so please use towards the fund . If you need a diff cheque or want me to pay it direct I'm happy to and I'll make some enquiries about some land . Maybe a possibility in Wales, I'll see

Cheers Ian

12,000 plus rounds!!!

What were those idiots thinking of, they drive past the peoples houses next to the quarry on the way in, they must have been recced the site before the shoot.

No wonder the police were called, the organizers of the shoot could have done the right thing and contacted the nearest homeowners beforehand and explained what was going to happen.

I have to wonder if the landowner knew how much shooting was going to take place in such a short time period.

A few ruining it for the rest!

That's my plan to !

Yup absolutely - for me there's still a choice of Warcop or Diggle CSR so I shan't be stuck without something to do. I did just spend yesterday getting a load of my camping stuff out ready for the MQC - its sparked an interest in the missus and she now wants to go camping :D

Even though it's now been mentioned on the 4islands forum, they all seem to be conveniently skipping over the part where the noise issues were mentioned by a couple of people, and are instead just slapping each other on the back about how much fun it was.

That's PSGer's for you....as long as they're ok the don't give a rats behind about anyone else

Got a link for that please bradders ?

Pete (goggle eyed from scouring maps?)

That's a real bummer Rup, what can I say, shooting ground is never easy to come by in the first place, was looking forward to it as always, let's hope some other suitable ground can be found in the west country in the near future, must be something out there?

ATB mate

Tony.

Archived