Mendip Quarry Challenge Spring 2014 - Cancelled

oaken

MENDIP QUARRY CHALLENGE

Spring 2014

Date: Saturday 12th April 2014.

Cost: £38

Round count: Max 100 (probably more like 80)

Limited to 18 entrants.

To enter and for more information send an email to me at oaken8@ymail.com

Places will be given strictly in the order that payments are received.

Required are an open FAC (ie. ..land over which the holder has lawfull authority to shoot, ie no mention of the chief of police), a moderated centerfire rifle that is owned by the shooter (not borrowed) and up to date shooting insurance. We will be shooting on private land that can in no way be considered to be a shooting range. Permission to shoot will be granted only for the day, just like paid stalking etc. The emphasis is on each shooter to be a safe shot and follow safe shooting practice, being responsible for every shot and every moment handling their firearm. Please make sure you bring all your paperwork with you.

The aim of the day is to provide a relaxed, safe and challenging shooting experience that is as far removed from the Bisley type manicured range as possible.

The course of fire will utilise the rugged nature of a limestone quarry with both paper, steel and reactive targets. The longest shot is 350yds so a scoped centerfire rifle is required.

The first stage will be a cold bore prone exercise at around 100yds in which ALL shots will count. If you need to zero your rifle on site, you will loose points and hold everyone up.

The terrain WILL hinder easy movement between firing points. Anything goes but travel light! Bring all the food and drink you require as non available locally. Parking will be at your own risk and there will be no access to your car except when firing stops for lunch.

There are no toilet facilities on site - ladies beware!

The event will be non profit making. Having invested in the equipment, any and all profit from future MQCs will go to H4H. There will be an H4H collection tin at control, please dig deep for a worthy cause.

The quarry, as you can imagine, presents many hazards! You will be shooting at your own risk with no liability to the organisers or landowner. Bring sturdy clothing and stout footware.

The organisers will be having a BBQ and camping on the site on the Friday night, there is plenty of room and all are welcome but there is no water and facilities consist of woodland. You are also welcome to assist setting up if you would like to be on site from lunchtime on the Friday.

Please note that places will not be secure until payment has been received.

Location & details will be sent as confirmation that funds have been received.

The site is currently under 8 feet of water at the far end and the majority of the rest submerged to some degree! Hopes are that it will drain by April. I plan to continue regardless but we may have to compromise according to conditions.

Also, due to damage to the steels at the last shoot, there will be a restriction on bullet speed to 3,200fps and absolutely no military fmj steel cored ammunition (this is easy to check with a magnet). Expanding and hpbt target bullets are fine provided velocities are kept down. The HME limit stands as usual. A chronograph will be set up to check if you are unsure.

Looking forward to seeing you there

Rup

oaken8@ymail.com

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am already in Rup...shall I bring the scuba gear or just chest-waders!

Sure it will be fine by April.

I had my worries that this was a bit close to Tiffs RRC but as of 22:30 this evening, there are only 4 places left! (Edit now 3)

Better shake a leg if you want in :-)

Dave, if you bring your waders you will be put to work ;-D

Moving targets for this one. I have been playing with remote control stuff and walkabout has something moving dastardly up his sleeve. Rich has something brewing that will test you to the limit

No more digger! It has proved too much hassle tracking it down so the DTA challenge has been reborn....... and will not disappoint. Orca will be pleased and yes, the new apparatus has been designed with you in mind!!!

Rup

Sounds excellent already Rup, I'm really looking foward to it. Three consecutive weekend rifle shoots in April is great.....especially since I'm not running two of them and can enjoy actually shooting for once!

Mildot, will your new AX be making an appearance?

Who Knows! I hope so, if not I will resort to my stalking rifle! as I not putting anymore through my surgeon until I know whats happening with it as its up for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Quarry update

I am assured that the level has gone down a good couple of feet since January!

4804D175-01D4-4E96-B501-62B730B06BFE-587

EB8D6FA3-C5FB-4E78-8CD9-08DCA8FCA618-587

995D31BF-DE86-4B7D-9F34-CA2D9A9FBFE7-587

It was pretty miserable squelching around in the Mendip mud and driving rain this morning. I was skeptical on being informed that there was 8 feet of water at the far end but seeing is believing!

However, on the bright side, there is enough dryish ground to lay out the targets (May not be the wide arcs of fire that we are used to though) and the elevated firing points are fine. :-)

Rup

Yippeeee Gun Boat practice!!!!!

Kayaks and canons!!!

Oh yes, count on it :-)

As in previous shoots, those that clear the first round of 10 shots will repeat against the clock with a reduced overall time limit as an increased stress inducer. Might even make it wobblier as the new device can be adjusted!!!

No digger means no more head injuries so in theory it should be easier but......... We'll see! Lol.

The winner of this bit of the MQC will win a free ticket to the next shoot courtesy of Ewen of Desert Tech Europe and total respect from all that witness it :-) It makes very good entertainment for those watching.

Archived