Mendip Quarry Challenge Spring 2014 - Cancelled

oaken

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys

I am gutted that another group have lost their match, as the contact within f4i who was approached by Frome & district rifle club regarding this event I will tell you what I know.

Firstly understand that f4i is a vehicle for clubs to promote their events, the only matches we have run ourselves have been H4H charity shoots held at Shield & we have raised thousands doing them, so the loss of your H4H event hurts us to the core.

However on this occasion we took on trust from Frome club that this venue had been used previously & was suitable, the Frome club built the match & promoted it on the F4i website, all money taken went to Frome, F4i gained nothing from the event & in fact are £250 down as we incured costs providing a trophy & in delivering targetry for the event.

Reading between the lines it has emerged since the match that the owner has a planning application in to use the quarry for off roading, this has already been turned down once before, perhaps a noisy shoot invited onto the ground on mothers day was the owners shot across the bows of the local council to grant his application or face more of the same, I think there is more to this but time will tell.

You guys may not like what we do for our sport but we are all shooters & like yourselves need places to shoot, the loss of this venue is a blow to us as well, ground to shoot on is hard to come by.

We at f4i are sorry if this event has spoilt your match, it was not our intention to do so, in fact until I was directed to this thread I did not know of your plans, believe me that nobody within F4i is happy right now.

4I

4I

First, thank you for the courtesy of stepping up on here.

I do not think anyone or the PSG groups wanted this to happen, it is the apparent lack of forethought that is the problem.

I was involved, to a very small degree, in assisting Rupe with the first rifle practice at the quarry a couple of years ago. The potential noise problem was very well known then, so strickly supressed rifle only. I find it incredible (in the literal meaning of the word) that Frome did not know this also and by association 4I should have in its 'risk assesment' of any shoot noise as a line item . So it was completly preventable.

Regardless of intents, the end result is this venue is probably closed to all forms of shooting. Now PSG has a multiple selection of venues so this is an incoveniance locally. For rifle shooters I can only think of 3, possibly 4 venues of this type in the whole of mainland UK - so it is a catastrophy nationally!

Hence the more than 'miffed' view of PSG and this event!

Brgds Terry

Our main issue here, is that we go to great lengths to keep noise to a minimum as it is a known fact that the local residents around the quarry do complain. Anyone who turns up with a rifle without a moderator is not allowed to shoot! The result of this is a shoot where we don't even need to use ear protection!

I feel sure that the landowner would have refused the PSG shoot had he realised that 15,000 unmoderated shots would be fired especially with the current seeking of planning permission.

I believe shooting has now been suspended for the duration of the applications and may resume once attained? I hope all this has not tainted the attitude of the residents to the point of raising objections that will delay or even deny the planned improvements within the quarry.

Our Fullbore shoots take months of preparation with shooters paying in advance for the few available places.

As organiser, I am not prepared for a repeat of this fiasco.

ANY firearms being used in the quarry will now attract complaints on a regular basis and we can do without police involvement so the decision has been made to suspend our shoots until an alternative venue can be found.

I appreciate your accounting for 4i on here especially as certain comments within the thread do express our feelings in a somewhat colourful manner. However, the damage is done so we should all learn from the situation and endeavour to avoid a repeat of this calamity.

With regard to preserving our reputation, I will now vigorously object to any PSG involvement on any venue that we use.

Regards

Rup

Gentlemen

This thread has run its course, we shall all live and learn.

Let's hope a new even better venues can be found and the the good and hard work put in by Rup and other UKV Board members is not wasted.

Archived