Downgrading

Has anyone else downgraded their setup and been happy?

After getting too much cash invested in my hardware, I decided to downgrade my foxing rig from a blaser R93 .243 with Swarovski 6-24x50 tds4i to this little beauty that I have been putting together for a while now.

1F7E4AB9-4B14-4A66-9297-DC7FBAC1E183-568

Tikka t3 hunter .243

Lite synthetic stock-left over from old project that didnt happen

EGW pic rail came with hunter, screws provided FOC by a nice man

TPS rings left over from a scruffy old 25-06 I once bought

Lumley arms stainless bolt shrowd- came with hunter

5 round mag, and 3 round mag, came with hunter

Third eye Spartan mod robbed from my 6.5x47 until my atec maxim arrives

Schmidt military mk 2 from 1996 era, 10x42 (pm2) with police ret, AI turrets and anti uv glass best scope in the lamp I have seen for ages

Will I be happy with my budget setup, only time will tell?

after having some custom barrel rifles. in fireball and 17 remington. i got rid and got a good old tikka t3 stainless lite in 223. it owes me £300.

is in superb condition and is very accurate with the 40 vmax homeloads. and even shoots well with factory 55 grain softpoints.

i even put a cheaper meopta meopro 6x18x50 scope on it. and its ideal lamping and day time vermin rifle. with the odd munty to boot.

its all very well having a nice custom barrel rifle. etc. but with the cost of rebarreling these days.

imo its just as cheap to sell off a action and buy a secondhand factory rifle. as long as you know its in good condition does me for what i need of it.

Gary,

That set up does not look like a down grade to me at all. Rather a well thought out set up that should suit your needs perfectly. My 595 when wearing a std tikka 1in 10 twist barrel really liked the Hornady BTHP'S , might be worth giving them a try.

I decided to downgrade my foxing rig from a blaser R93 .

Don't think anything's a downgrade from a Blaser. :o Presumably, unlike a Blaser, this T3 goes bang every time you pull the trigger?!(Ooops, Controversial! :lol: )

(I notice CZ America are advertising their safari rifles with a strapline 'goes bang everytime you pull the trigger' -which I'm reading as an oblique dig at the Blaser safari rifle adverts [although, I suppose, for adrenalin junkies, going up against dangerous game with a rifle design that light strikes the primers on a regular basis must put a delicious extra Russian-roulette thrill into every charge :lol: ])

I think your new set-up looks excellent for a working rifle - all the parts are robust; tougher more reliable gun, tougher scope of equal optical quality etc. A clever move to my mind. :)

Play nicely boys....just because i sold my last r93 it doesnt mean im not still very fond of them!

Simple fact is this rifle owes me circa 30% of what i sold the blaser for, but im sure wont kill much less once ive got a good load sorted.

First three shots with a thrown together load went into sub 1" at 100m shot off a frosted bonnet in a field at 22.00 hrs the other night, with a torch illuminating a 2" target on a sheet of white paper, and only 2 screws holding the pic rail on while it was still in the wooden stock...im sure there is potential for improvement now the plastic stock and 4 screws have finally arrived..

Stop whining, they got to you eventually,,, :P

Needs 4 inches off the barrel with that mod on it...

That would make it 18", lovely truck gun but i want to keep velocity high as poss in this one, fox might not know but i would.

Thanks for the screws, short countersunk ones were perfect fit, couldnt find a use for the 3" cheeseheads you sent down..

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

Had it in a field today to run some order of magnitude testing for the 70gn noslers, 41.5 varget had 3 shots in 15mm at 3508fps.

Then set the gongs at 265m and hit the 4" one twice and the 8" one 4 times (holding over) with the last 6 shots of the original batch of ammo.

041E5127-C75F-415B-9D1E-0E2782C00FB8-155

E3066F32-A411-4013-BF26-788E0B4778C7-155

So, am i happy? Kind of, it hasnt got the quality of the r93, or of my 2 other rifles and i havent found the best accuracy yet but its good enough as a 300y gun for now. Time to develop some proper loads when i get time. Had 2 red ones with it already sub 100y!

And the new atec maxim is excellent on it, well happy with that.

Mike,

i was actually thinking of going lighter for a while after ive used up the "european 70gn ballistic tip" mountain in my cupboard, some hot 55's might be just the job to get a lend of that reamer a little sooner!

• 1 month later...

Update....

Struggling to love the downgrade like i did my R93, have ordered a boyds thumbhole stock to try and get my juices flowing.

Might swap the 10x42 for a variable and turn it into dedicated nv rig for use with my archer.....

Choices choices

Update....

Struggling to love the downgrade like i did my R93, have ordered a boyds thumbhole stock to try and get my juices flowing.

Might swap the 10x42 for a variable and turn it into dedicated nv rig for use with my archer.....

Choices choices

Can I have first dibs on the Boyds stock if it doesn't work out!?? :D

Can I have first dibs on the Boyds stock if it doesn't work out!?? :D

Possibly not!

Im going to have a go at pillar bedding it so it might end up bonded to the kitchen worktop!

I'll keep you in mind if i decide to sell it

Possibly not!

Im going to have a go at pillar bedding it so it might end up bonded to the kitchen worktop!

I'll keep you in mind if i decide to sell it

OK. Well good luck with the bedding :)

Archived