AI AE model dropped

ChrisF

AI Sales & marketing sent this out by email, I received mine mid morning.

Please see attached announcement from Accuracy International.

Please feel free to share the link below if posting on forums;

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/news/?p=274

with the added information;

“We know there will be a lot of questions about this, however at this time we are not prepared to say anymore other than... you will not be disappointed. We are in pre-production of the 2014 Models now, so come Shot Show you’ll be able to get your hands on them.”

Not quite so easy for us plucky Brits to pop over to shot show just to see the launch of a British product.

AI Sales & marketing sent this out by email, I received mine mid morning.

Please see attached announcement from Accuracy International.

Please feel free to share the link below if posting on forums;

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/news/?p=274

with the added information;

“We know there will be a lot of questions about this, however at this time we are not prepared to say anymore other than... you will not be disappointed. We are in pre-production of the 2014 Models now, so come Shot Show you’ll be able to get your hands on them.”

Not quite so easy for us plucky Brits to pop over to shot show just to see the launch of a British product.

Not ideal, but one can hope the new model (AT?) will be on show a month later at the British Shooting Show.

I'm interested to see what improvements will have been made over the AE MKIII, given that the bolt & trigger are the same as the AW. I can only guess at a double stack mag (flush like the TRG would be great) and hopefully a lighter design than the AW, AE & AX.

I think, with little thought, it's easy to see that there's really nothing to improve on an AE MkIII. It's as good as it gets.

So, unless we're breaking into new technology (a particle beam weapon?!), I'd guess that it'll be a model optimised for cheaper production.

Cursed with cynicism as I am, I envisage the arrival of pre and post 1964 Win Model 70 situation: a cheaper rifle at the same price.

...so I'd also deduce that price of s/h MkIII AEs will hold very steady whilst people 'wonder' and then an increase as reality hits and people hunt out the 'pre-64s'.

[i'd be surprised if we ever see double stack mags on the entry level AIs - as that's one of the few obvious 'point-at-able' draws leading buyers to AWs and AXs - with the cheaper-at-the-same-price points above; I'd predict polymer mags]

I think the lack of marketing photos is a deliciously clever marketing ploy to encourage threads such as this!

....time will tell. :)

has Matt says I cant see how they can improve on the AI AE mk111 I think they got that close in design to the AW but less in price they are having a re think I just hope they don't design something that will kill the reputation of the quality that is produced at AI never the less I for one will be keeping hold of my AI AE MK111 and watch this space

Well I for one hope your are wrong Brown Dog.

I would like to see double stack mags and quick change barrels. That's the only way I can see it going. Slightly higher price point but under that of the AW. I can see AI shying away from the AW with the production of the AX and new military contracts reflecting its provenance. With the AW being so iconic AI won't want to drop it altogether, well until they offer a left hand AX....

But that's just my best guess

I've read this topic with some interest especially a I'm about to take delivery of my new AW (thanks to all the advise about shrouds not having pockets and why shag the fat bird when the fit mate is gagging for it), so anything to do with AI catches my attention.

I'm with Brown Dog on this one (call me a cynic and I'll admit it). Experience has demonstrated that when a product is good and it sell well and the consumers love it, any change is about reducing costs and increasing profits.

AI may be a great organisation but they have gone through a helluva lot of changes since they first set up and those now at the top are businessmen first and maybe shooters second.

You have to ask the question "If many, many shooters buy and have such high regard for the AE, why change it? I don't see and improvement on the horizon, just a change that may not be as good as the original it is intended to replace.

I'm tempted to order an AE even though my AW is soon to be in my possession because I see their value rocketing.

[i'd be surprised if we ever see double stack mags on the entry level AIs - as that's one of the few obvious 'point-at-able' draws leading buyers to AWs and AXs - with the cheaper-at-the-same-price points above; I'd predict polymer mags]

I think the lack of marketing photos is a deliciously clever marketing ploy to encourage threads such as this!

....time will tell. :)

I have never fully understood the advantage of a double stack magazine; other than to bomb up magazines a couple of seconds quicker and offer a shorter profile?

What have I missed from the equation? :wacko:

I have never fully understood the advantage of a double stack magazine; other than to bomb up magazines a couple of seconds quicker and offer a shorter profile?

What have I missed from the equation? :wacko:

Think you've covered it Mick. :) The 10 round AE/AICS mag is the size of an SLR 20 round mag and weighs a ton.

My view

The AE 111 is as good as it gets, without going AW AX

The new model will (in my mind) have cost (production cost) saving ideas.

Id hold on to, or buy current models personally.

Rugged, accurate do alls, dont come much better as it is.....

I will wait & see , the AX338 was rumoured to have a plastic 10rd magazine , that never happened .

As to the AW , 10rd mag being shorter & quicker to reload , YES it is , but it also seems more relaible in operation , and I think some of that is about reducing the the amount of effort required to strip the round out of the magazine .

Just look to most modern SMGs or Assault Rifles , they use double stack/feed mags .

Its usually only the old smgs , like the sten , MP40 , M3 etc that used the double stack/single feed mags , and pistols of course .

It would be good to see a rifle for a round of say the size of the 375CT or slightly bigger , to bridge the gap , between say the 338LM & the 50BMG calibre .

Later Chris

Having just got an AX and been playing all weekend with it, I have to say its a truly outstanding weapon.

It put the first 3 rounds out of into the same hole and seems to shoot anything from a 0.100' jump , right up to touching the lands.....quite unusual.

Its one very special feature though, has to be the magazine system. Because its double feed, its silky smooth to reload , and as Chris rightly says, owes this to reduced round stripping effort. The new rifle should encompass this design, if nothing else.

Good or bad, AI have a good rep now and everyone likes to have the latest model.

So, it will always sell well with the AI logo.

I just hope it's not cost cutting with a high price as most shooters are not stupid.

Can anyone get a pirate copy of what it is? We seem to get most films before the cinema now. :-)) Get one of those guys on the case...

Good or bad, AI have a good rep now and everyone likes to have the latest model.

So, it will always sell well with the AI logo.

I just hope it's not cost cutting with a high price as most shooters are not stupid.

Can anyone get a pirate copy of what it is? We seem to get most films before the cinema now. :-)) Get one of those guys on the case...

Give it a while.

The 'no info' marketing ploy will only work for a few weeks; then it will start to hack people off. People need info to make buying decisions; not games.

At the point at which that is detected/recognised, or a date on a marketing gant chart is reached, a little more info will no doubt drip onto the forums.

I can see it having a lighter weight more conventional stock with a common mag system and a similar if not identical action to the current mk3. Only real criticism of AICS rifles is the weight so that a lighter weight rifle would be a big selling point. That'll appeal to the general sporting/target market and leave the AX and classic AW for the guys who want the tactical and military models. Can't see it having QD barrels as that would take it out the price point, but that would be one hell of a rifle if did though.

An AE action with a manners style stock and an AW or AX mag left to simmer with a short heavy barrel. Ummmm :-).

Archived