bat or AE3

pwinnall

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Chris, is the AW much better than the AE for my needs? I am very competitive and It will get used a lot. Phil

If you buy an AE knowing that you'll always look at an AW with a slight sense of regret; get the AW. If you won't look wishfully at an AW, get the AE.

- in performance terms I don't think you'll tell them apart. But it's a brain game too :)

Hi Chris, is the AW much better than the AE for my needs? I am very competitive and It will get used a lot. Phil

If you buy an AE knowing that you'll always look at an AW with a slight sense of regret; get the AW. If you won't look wishfully at an AW, get the AE.

- in performance terms I don't think you'll tell them apart. But it's a brain game too :)

. ( Matt, admit it you used yours as it was the rifle you had :) )

I stalked for years in the Highlands with my r/h AW. I bought it when I was tired of turning down longer shots with my Sauer 202s (308 and 300). The AW gave me the consistency that even quality rifles like Sauer could never deliver. I fell on it numerous times, bumped it and neglected it; but it always delivered. Do those things to any other rifle and you want (or should want!) to check zero.

On biathlon straps you don't notice the weight. But I will admit that it can get a bit emotional on a long crawl! And it would be a shockingly poor choice for woodland stalking! :)

Just been through the same loop at Sporting Servies

Opted for the AE over AICS for robustness and accuracy

Passed over the AW for the AE on price and cost-saving into Scope etc

Viewed AI as a robust solution for semi-competitive shooting, adaptive barrel set-up and club plinking; and recognised quite early-on that I didn't want to be party to the F/TR Arms Race and super-shooting high-technology

Coincidentally, managed to get out to zero the new scope on the new skins on the new cheekpiece etc today - first AW trigger time for ages, and only chance before the quarry comp - hope it tracks!

Gratuitous AW pic:

awtoday_zps5ffb5ef9.jpg

I,ve a long unfilled slot on my FAC for a .308....or rather I had.

After owning countless hand made custom guns, and building many, many more, I wanted something different. Something simple. Something that I,m not going to mess with whatsoever. :lol:

Decided I needed a "Factory rifle" in .308 . Looked at a TRG as I,ve always loved Sako,s , then had a look around for a s/h AW. Not common.

Bit the bullet yesterday morning and ordered an AX with all the bells and whistles.

Looked at the AE and decided how ever well it may shoot, its still a remington clone with a better bolt. I wanted the difference of the AW action bonded into that stock , and if i,d gone AE , I would always have been looking at the AW/AX.

Given the choice in cars, i,d want a top of the range mercedes. Given the choice in dogs, i,d love a pure bred saluki. Given the choice in women, i,d like to shag Claudia Schiffer.

Who wants second best if the chance of the real thing is available ? :D

Now where,s me tin hat ? :lol::lol:

He he he

my thought process entiorely

You wont regret it Dave, fgugly, but who cares if it shoots so well.....

Looked at the AE and decided how ever well it may shoot, its still a remington clone with a better bolt. I wanted the difference of the AW action bonded into that stock , and if i,d gone AE , I would always have been looking at the AW/AX.

Well the receiver is round.....

Look at both and try then decide

I didnt get along with my AW, the stock was painful to my hands, yet the AX I own is perfect...

Personally I really don't like the forend of the AX. For me, when fully kitted out carrying it (including mod) the balance is further forward than the grip goes...Is it movable at all? Otherwise I guess I 'd have have to attach an additional grip?

Also the I agree about the AW not fitting correctly regarding both the angular forend and thumbhole.

Hence why I brought an AE MKIII 2.0 and a set of Viperskins....for less than the price of an AW. If I ever need it permanently attached into the stock, I could always use some resin myself.

Hi, Yes the thumbhole is too small for my hands yet the forend is too aggressive for

My needs.like you said, I think I'll take a day off and visit them.Ronin, is the aw

Action better than the ae? Or should I say, worth the extra cash.

Thanks phil

Hi, Yes the thumbhole is too small for my hands yet the forend is too aggressive for My needs.like you said, I think I'll take a day off and visit them.Ronin, is the aw Action better than the ae? Or should I say, worth the extra cash. Thanks phil

i own a AE MK111 in 308 from what i understand is the the difference between the two rifles AW and AE 111 is so close now it as become a personal decision on the difference when you purchase like Matt and others on here have said if you buy the AE would you keep looking at the AW i can only say after buying my AE and now getting to know it i for one dont keep thinking should i have waited and bought the AW the reason is it feels, it shoots and is really very accurate and a pleasure to use as for Dave's comments about being a remmy clone with a different bolt he could be right i dont know but what i do know is a AI instills a feeling off confidence when you are behind it ready to take the shot that is un explainable unless you own one and use it regular as i do i dont have the funds to buy a rifle to shoot all the different comps i only have one the AE and and it performs well

I too can only get one gun, that's why I'm pondering so much on which one.Yes getting the

AW may almost be a class thing but why spend the extra cash on something that shoots the same.

Looking at the second hand prices, it's almost an investment weapon. I could get some viper skins and a 6.5x47 barrel. Use it for ten years,put the new 308 and side panels back on and sell it as almost new. I'm going to visit sporting services and

Have a good look at them all.I've been told they both shoot the same, so the are is

A bargain really. :-)

It's all about the action between the AE and AW. The AW takes a lot more machining so will cost more and has features that will be no use to the average shooter but important to the military.

The AW action is screwed and glued into the chassis again adding a process which can only add cost, but also adds confidence.

You get a bipod and break with the AW, again adding cost.

AW/AX it's just the stock everything else is the same. The standard AW stock didn't fit me as well as it could so I bought some Viper Skins, problem solved.

IMO the best rifle and the best value has to be a s/h AW, if buying new it's just down to what you want to pay as they both do the job very well indeed.

Mag is different on AW i think, allowing you to load without removing mag. You can still single feed on AE, but cant fill mag through ejection port. Rail is different on Aw, i had issue with rail on my AE, broken screw, my rail is now bedded with devcon making nice/strong fit. It does give confidence, ive owned a few nice hunting rifles but the moment i first pulled the trigger on my AE i knew it was going to be a shooter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived