bat or AE3

pwinnall

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AE MKIII gets my vote - although having just brought one I may be slightly bias....

However I don't think for tactical comps. the BAT would serve you any better. The AW is of course another option, but in my mind (for non life dependent situations) there is simply not enough between the new AE and AW.

Depends what you want to use it for.

Pressured stress induced competition or plinking with mates.

Former, buy AI, latter, BAT

Heaps of reasons why, but primarily is the BAT repeaters use a mechanical forced ejector, which if not cycled fully, allow the spent case to spin in the ejection port and land wrong way round before one realises....

BAT is excellent base for custom rifle, but if you want something that will not fail under "difficult" conditions, go AI

Ive been all round the houses with a tactical comp gun - AW, BAT, Blaser Tac 2, now back with an AX, which is faultless...pig ugly but faultless.

Depends what you want to use it for.

Pressured stress induced competition or plinking with mates.

Former, buy AI, latter, BAT

Heaps of reasons why, but primarily is the BAT repeaters use a mechanical forced ejector, which if not cycled fully, allow the spent case to spin in the ejection port and land wrong way round before one realises....

BAT is excellent base for custom rifle, but if you want something that will not fail under "difficult" conditions, go AI

Ive been all round the houses with a tactical comp gun - AW, BAT, Blaser Tac 2, now back with an AX, which is faultless...pig ugly but faultless.

Top advice.

Top advice.

An awful lot of BR shooters use BAT actions,.They do care about ultimate precision and accuracy,and the results are there to see,but perhaps they don't rate rifle survivability after a drive over so highly .Most are single shot,and the action alone is not an excessive price.It has no military bling ,of course-just peer respect.

g

An awful lot of BR shooters use BAT actions,.They do care about ultimate precision and accuracy,and the results are there to see,but perhaps they don't rate rifle survivability after a drive over so highly .Most are single shot,and the action alone is not an excessive price.It has no military bling ,of course-just peer respect.

g

plus 1 for answer,regards LEE

g

Yes BAT is a good accuracy choice. But so is an AI action. That's rather statin the bleedin obvious.

But, no, AI doesn't just bring you additional 'drive over' survivability and bling; it brings you a rifle that will function reliably in the competition conditions Ronin described.

The rifles that have problems at competitions in bad weather and shooting on anything more demanding than a putting green, tend not to be AIs.

Did the fellow ask for best BR rifle recommendations? No.

Did Ronin's answer say 'it depends on what you want it for' etc... yes.

Hi, just been thinking of the choices of a new build in 6.5x47. I like Bat action but also like the ae too.The bat is about £1000 more.

What do you think? :-)

Please see previous reply,

following posts re BAT and BR shooters, if the build was for a TARGET rifle - clean conditions no crud invoilved without question I would choose BAT over AI AE

Well I wouldnt ,,,,,I buy a Borden Rimrock over BAT anytime..

HOWEVER,

the comparison is between BAT and an AE - therefore suggesting that it will be used as repeater, for tactical / practical comp or plinking / stalking.

If you want a rifle that will function flawlessly, with accuracy to boot, go AI

if you want a rifle that will have accuracy, but "may" have issues with dirt, problematic ejection and the "will it wont it" factor, by all means buy the BAT....

I lived with a BAT repeater I built for tactical competitions and stalking - over the life of the barrell (circa 4000 rounds) the rifle performed excellently, it was perhaps the most accurate rifle ive built (yet), however, it dropped me points in competitions with non ejected cases and cost me deer when taking out a parcel of hinds a couple of years ago - again due to a non ejected case.

Never had that issue with any AI ive owned

I now have AI AX and before that an AW (the very rifle that now holds the UK factory rifle BR championship)

Nothing wrong with AI accuracy, performance, functionality or durability.

BAT have their place, but not for me anymore for the use I put mine to.

Well, the use.. It will be a working gun. Stalking, vermin and competitions.

I didn't know there were sniper type competitions until reading Ronin's posts.

I used to practical pistol, then shotgun and did well at mini rifle and lever action comps and want to try something different.

But I do work in engineering and like the finish of the Bat actions, but it's no good looking pretty if there are ejection problems under competion use.

Is the AX the same action as the AE?

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, this is where you get the real comparisions of rifles.

Phil

i use my AI AE111 308 FOR EVERYTHING but i would not like to carry it around for stalking i do shoot deer with it but the lazy way fantastic rifle just as accurate as AW and would do you fine as ronin said faultless when it comes to accuracy and relibility

Wow Stalking with AE

I stalk with my AX

and several other more "traditional" rifles

Well, the use.. It will be a working gun. Stalking, vermin and competitions.

I didn't know there were sniper type competitions until reading Ronin's posts.

I used to practical pistol, then shotgun and did well at mini rifle and lever action comps and want to try something different.

But I do work in engineering and like the finish of the Bat actions, but it's no good looking pretty if there are ejection problems under competion use.

Is the AX the same action as the AE?

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, this is where you get the real comparisions of rifles.

Phil

Hi Phil

Of course the use is a major factor-some replies have just-somewhat incorrectly perhaps- assumed it woud be for competition use in somewhat 'dirty' conditions (sniper etc).Then the advice to trade a bit more reliability (AE)for gilt edged accuracy (Bat) is sound.But if 'competition' means F class or BR under fairly/very 'clean' conditions,absolute accuracy has the edge.McQueens is somewhere in the middle,and of course a mag feed is prefered.

Rifles for purposes,as ever.Some do stalk with 15+ lb rifles-and some say they like it.So be it,if you are fit enough-but it isn't the best tool.I'd trade a1/4 moa for a heartbeat that enables a good shot to be assured.Varminting-top accuracy (AE and Bat etc both).Sometimes advice comes from the well intentioned who correctly like their gear,without necessarily having equivalent experience of other disciplines and equipment,and their merits,tyhe tendency seems more pronounced in those who take a tactical/sniper preference.One can understand the need for operational integrity there.Whether you need it,only your use can indicate-some competitions are clean,some might be less so-ditto varminting,with stalking perhaps a tad more rugged.Ask,as you have done,and look at the gear being used for what you intend to do-in as many comps etc as you can.

When it's a mixture,some compromise might have to come in.On your stated preferences,it won't be that much of a compromise.Neither choce would raise eyebrows-both are quite excellent-as your engineering tells you.I'd take the Bat in a smithed rifle,unless I was going into 'survival' locations,where True Grit might be encountered!(and 308 as just more of it around- but that's another set of opinions . my 6.5 stalker is 7lb ).

george

If i'm honest, I love the bling of a stainless action. Something you don't get with an AI, but an AI has a "it does what says on the can" attitude.

I have done some stalking but you can count on one hand the amount of times i've been. So am happy with heavy gun.

I'd llike to try the McQueens, i'm getting back into mini rifle comps and they run a McQueens during the Phoenix at Bisley and hopefully some factory gun competitions. An AI may offer more competition options than a hand built rifle? Am i correct?

But I do want superb accuracy, and and this is where a hand built rifle would score points?

Thanks for all your advice. Phil

Sounds to me like you should get the AI AE (I have one), and borrow a stalking rifle if you need to stalk. I have stalked with mine, from the drivers door to the bonnet, but any more than that and it's not fun.

If i'm honest, I love the bling of a stainless action. Something you don't get with an AI, but an AI has a "it does what says on the can" attitude.

I have done some stalking but you can count on one hand the amount of times i've been. So am happy with heavy gun.

I'd llike to try the McQueens, i'm getting back into mini rifle comps and they run a McQueens during the Phoenix at Bisley and hopefully some factory gun competitions. An AI may offer more competition options than a hand built rifle? Am i correct?

But I do want superb accuracy, and and this is where a hand built rifle would score points?

Thanks for all your advice. Phil

Quite simply-yes,

more often than not..Perhaps not by much and there are some very accurate AIs.But there is accuracy and accuracy-and not many long range out and out accuracy records records are set by AIs.AIs are very fine rifles,and just the thing for tactical and the like,but they will not have the superb accuracy edge that a really good Bat etc custom rifle will have-always allowing very minor exceptions in occasional rifles.Not opinion-just check the results of the real accuracy competitions-but they are not everyones cup of tea.What is?Ais etc may sometimes come close,but they do not win consistently at the highest level.You may not want quite that performance,and there will be prices to pay-eg in weight,and non magazine actions.But the excellent design criteria for AI do not include ' reliably win top accuracy competitions against the very best accuracy rifles.In most else,you would not be disappointed,if they feel right-as ever,there is no substitute for actually trying what others recommend..Some eg don't like the stock- you may well love it.Nothing does everything at the highest level.

george

A 'man-up' tablet required? ! :lol::)

DSC05564internet.jpg

I imagine the events post photo..

Here boy, carry this while i ride back in the argo. And dont bloody scratch it!

Phil

From the sound of your needs the AE in 6.5x47 would fit hand in glove, if you are happy to lug it round for stalking/fox etc. ( Matt, admit it you used yours as it was the rifle you had :) )

Bats are nice but I don't think you'd see any advantage over the AE.

At the end of the day it's your money and only you know what you want it to do for you.

Personnaly I'd put the £1000 saved into a better scope, or spend it on ammunition and go practice / enter competions.

Terry

Just get the AW on here s/h for £2800 Ono. It's lost all it's money and you can get a new barrel from sporting services for £500 in any calibre.

Love mine and will be looking at a new 260 barrel very soon. Downside is it weights a ton and would not like to carry it up and down dale.

Cheers Chris

Archived