DIY Nightforce Turret

bullett243

Had some spare time today so decided to make a Ballistic Turet for my nightforce on my .223 for foxing use.

It is a trial one made of Delrin to see if it works because I had some lying around, but if it works I will make an aluminium one and anodize it.

I have used lume that is normally used for watch dials/hands on the numbers so that it glows in the dark :)

The ballistics were calculated using my shooter app and the turret engraved accordingly.

What ye reckon?

Cheers Paul.

IMG-20130301-00579.jpg

IMG-20130301-00581.jpg

IMG-20130301-00582.jpg

Excellent, for a while I've been thinking the same thing instead of turret wraps. Emailed nf for the cost of a blank turret cap before christmas and still no reply. Great Idea if you ran two different loads through the same rifle, zero and pop on the cap to suit. You could make a bit of cash on the side, I for one would defitently purchase one to suit my requirements. On the top of the cap you could have the bullet weight and speed, bit like those custom leupolds scopes. Very good.

Regards,

Simon

Very nice.

Wish I had your machining skills

The only thing thats missing is a luminous reference mark on the body of the scope so you can tell where youre at!

Rather than buy blank caps from NF could you not stick with the delrin and machine it out so that it sleeves the existing turret cap. The sleeve could be bonded (grub screw maybe) to the cap rather than replace it??

How much does the luminous paint cost, if you dont mind me asking.

Mark

The calibre and bullet weight engraved on the top is a good idea, may do that next!

The sleeve over the existing turret is something I had thought of, and may be worth trying. Would easily interchange and would be simple to make. Will have an experiment later.

For the watch lume, just put lume paste into ebay.

Cheers Paul

Good job Paul, I can't say I'm surprised I know you like to tinker. We are one step closer to a UK built scope :D

Could you not just add a coded set of dots to the existing turrets-nightime shooting isn't going to go out very far(2-300y?) so a dot for every 25/50 y beyond zero would do? (so 200 would be 4/2 dots)-or just the distance itself (250). No challenge,but as I am the second S, I like to K.I.S.S.

Hardly anyone seems to adjust anyhow,judging from the reticule discussion-use the NP2DD dot,and hold over a few inches!

The idea of a foolproof adjustment does have merit,and we've seen some colourful solutions tried.I'd like a 'reset to zero' buzzer - like my car has when locking it up, to avoid leaving the lights on at dawn(I can see them in the dark).

george

The sleeve idea is not bad at all. If the gap below the turret is measured, then the sleeve can be made that amount longer, so that it doubles as a zero stop? The only issue would be retaining the sleeve. If you used grub screws as suggested, they would mark the original turret, which would bother some folk. Food for thought tho ...

The sleeve idea is not bad at all. If the gap below the turret is measured, then the sleeve can be made that amount longer, so that it doubles as a zero stop? The only issue would be retaining the sleeve. If you used grub screws as suggested, they would mark the original turret, which would bother some folk. Food for thought tho ...

Yes- you-well,me being kiss-get quite close to the zero stop with insulating tape-but it does give a bit. The mark 2 would be a more rigid tube etc-but that's too meccano for me.It would be nice for some (maybe not the producer) if the if the final version didn't cost as much as a custom shop version,but it is individual to each turret of course-sandpaper?

Archived