AW 6.5x47 - first time out

Hardly had any trigger time this year.

Got a chance to pop out with Orka A today to shoot the new AW with its new 6.5x47 barrel with its new scope. First time out with it, using left-over reloads from my last 6.5x47

IMG-20121215-00429750x380.jpg

IMG-20121215-00431563x750.jpg

Shooting not helped by the fact that everything on this scope adjusts base arckwards!

IMG-20121215-00432563x750.jpg

Orka had a great spot P1000882750x563.jpgP1000880563x750.jpg

Felt quite rusty P1000884750x578.jpg

Not sure whether groups were me or the load, but quite pleased for first run out -could have been worse!

zeroing and grouping at the same time

97mgroup1.jpg

97mgroup2.jpg

97mgroup3.jpg

200m1b.jpg

Load was 37.5gr RL15 123 scenar and CCI magnum primers.

At temp 12 degC this was yielding a slightly disappointing 2830fps.

Don't know whether I need to tweak the load or just get more trigger time! :rolleyes::lol:

At least the load development was not as haphazard this time :lol:

Looking good and by the way your scope adjusts the right way ;)

Is see you've cracked and bought a quality scope.

Have fun with it.

Cheers

Dave

Shooting looks ok to me but the bolt is quite obviously on the wrong side!

Having shot an AW right handed for years; I can't tell you how long I dreamt of having a left hand AW! :lol:

Is see you've cracked and bought a quality scope.

Finally dawned on me that I'm just plinking and not practising for the re-entry to Fallujah :lol::rolleyes: - I love S&B, but the option of being able to dial down to x5 and up to x40 seemed 'persuasive' :rolleyes::lol:

Not sure on future load tweaking - I think I'll wait to see if a bit more range time tightens the groups.

Good starter load.

Get to the load bench and make some .3g increments (upwards)

Hope to have the pressure lance next week,,,,,,Santa's sack is indeed full.... :)

would be nice to see 5 shot groups to see if the loads are consistant.

Don't believe in chanting the 5 shot group mantra. ;)

Take a lot of mathematical persuading to make me see that 1 sample of 5rds has greater statistical validity than 3 samples of 3rds.

Take a lot of mathematical persuading to make me see that 1 sample of 5rds has greater statistical validity than 3 samples of 3rds.

I was not saying 3 shot groups are wrong.

I agree that 1 x 5 shot is no more conclusive than 1 x 3 shot.

If I am checking Zero then I do a 3 shot, but for load development I do 6 x 5 shot groups, pick the best then do it all again.

It's just what I do, a throw back from Benchrest days I guess?

I just think it's easier to get 3 shots consistantly in a group than 5, but then I guess its even harder if it was 10!

I have to shoot 5 shots for our comps, so I shoot 5 shots in load development.

Hey that's the great thing about shooting it's so different for everybody.

I was told years ago is Australia where I started shooting:

3 shots checks the rifle's performance

5 shots tests the shooter

10+ tests and challenges both

Mark

In reality Matt is just too tight to fire 2 more rounds :lol:

Matt, Is it a factory 26" barrel?

I thought it was. B)

With just a smidgen of forward planning I could have provided the Bockwurst! :D

Yup, sorry Mick, didn't think it through! :blush:

In reality Matt is just too tight to fire 2 more rounds :lol:

Matt, Is it a factory 26" barrel?

:lol:

It's 25.5". Liked the sound of it :rolleyes::lol:

I,m testing exactly the same load in 2 hours time Matt. It will be interesting to see what it does out of my 20" barrel.

Yup. I was mindful of Rob's thoughts on slowness with RL15 earlier in the week.

I also noticed it stank more than I remember on firing. Almost like firing something Soviet :o

These were old loads - new thought: wonder if RL15 doesn't keep well (ie deteriorates) when stored in loaded ammo?

I think Rob and I are on the same brand of barrel, both supplied over roughly the same period. (Archers I'm guessing); wonder if they have larger bores than what we were using previously?

I'm thinking of a 6.5x47l for my ai ae in the future, was this a sporting services supplied barrel? If so, are they really considered "factory", as in they were chambered by ai, or are they actually chambered by a third party not associated with ai? Has anyone on here has a match barrel, say kreiger or something, fitted to an ai by a top smith, and noticed an accuracy improvement over the "off the shelf" offering?

Matt-looking good, still need to arrange that plink we discussed, perhaps over xmas if you can slip the leash?

Nice to see some honest groups-the kind with a very little space between some of the shots!

You are correct about the mathematical/statistical validity of 5 versus 3 shots-both samples are way too small,but Walkabout covers most points.It's not statistical,as much as pragmatic-most fully smithed Bench Rest quality will indeed put shots very close (.2s)-probably 'all day long', demonstrably for 25-50 shots in sets of 5,and do it again next time-which is a decent sample;whereas some sporters/factory etc will put 2 or 3 similarly,but cannot sustain this.Semi custom rifles are often in between,consistent small groups,but not BR class .Whether it matters or not,of course,depends on your purpose (BR comp ,yes; Plinking no; hunting-first shot matters most.And of course,your personal standards/satisfaction levels.

george

I'm thinking of a 6.5x47l for my ai ae in the future, was this a sporting services supplied barrel? If so, are they really considered "factory", as in they were chambered by ai, or are they actually chambered by a third party not associated with ai? Has anyone on here has a match barrel, say kreiger or something, fitted to an ai by a top smith, and noticed an accuracy improvement over the "off the shelf" offering?

Matt-looking good, still need to arrange that plink we discussed, perhaps over xmas if you can slip the leash?

I'll hopeful be able to answer that one soon.

I have an AX in 308 thats awaiting shipping which I will be doing a 6.5x47 barrel for when it arrives.

Be interesting to see any difference between this on an AW action compared to the customs and semi customs I've built in the same calibre.

Cant comment on the RL15 "degradation" possibilities.

I only use Varget in 6.5x47 because it gives me such good results, suggest you try that, see how it shoots.

Your barrel will be a cut barrel Matt, i,m pretty sure Border dont supply Archers to AI.

My identical load produced 2690 [ on average ] from my 20" Archer this morning. Try BR4,s they gave another 60 fps for me.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think AI chamber any of their barrels - I think it's outsourced to whoever has the 'barrel supplier' deal of the moment; I'm aware that that's ranged from border cut, archer button and lothar button; maybe more - no idea what's being put on at the moment. If all barrels are OEM, I think it makes it rather hard to argue about 'factory' if a non standard calibre is screwed on that's been produced by the same OEM. I don't think you'll see an improvement by putting another 'name' barrel on. I'm of the view that there's nothing at all to choose between the top brands; they're all excellent - it's just a fashion thing about what's 'en vogue' at any given moment.

Plink? Definitely! :)

Your barrel will be a cut barrel Matt, i,m pretty sure Border dont supply Archers to AI.

My identical load produced 2690 [ on average ] from my 20" Archer this morning. Try BR4,s they gave another 60 fps for me.

Thanks Dave. (what sort of temp was that at?) I think I'm going to get through the tubs of RL15 I have on hand and make a switch to a different powder - either varget or N140. (although the amount I'm shooting at the moment means that that'll not be much before 2014! :lol: )

AI dont chamber any of their own barrels.

I believe demonstrators are always fitted with Border Cut barrels, as they always produce the goods.

AI in America are using Bartlien at the moment.

I visited Border Barrels earlier this year and had a good chat with Lee Tomlinson.

Having a special interest in AI's, I asked about barrels for AI and Sporting Services.

At present Border Barrels produce all the barrels for Sporting Services.

Accuracy International use Border for all there test Barrels and .50 and .338 LM

Regards

Rob

Archived