AW 6.5x47 - first time out

I visited Border Barrels earlier this year and had a good chat with Lee Tomlinson.

Having a special interest in AI's, I asked about barrels for AI and Sporting Services.

At present Border Barrels produce all the barrels for Sporting Services.

Accuracy International use Border for all there test Barrels and .50 and .338 LM

Regards

Rob

Rob, sorry, I'm not clear - are border putting out 'border' or 'archer' on this?

Rob, sorry, I'm not clear - are border putting out 'border' or 'archer' on this?

I spoke to somebody at Border a few years ago regarding a barrel for mine and I was told they did the barrel work for AI and used Archer. Things may have changed since.

Thanks Dave. (what sort of temp was that at?) I think I'm going to get through the tubs of RL15 I have on hand and make a switch to a different powder - either varget or N140. (although the amount I'm shooting at the moment means that that'll not be much before 2014! :lol: )

Couldn,t have been much above freezing Matt. Mattersey is in a large hole in the ground, there is very rarely any wind, but its always freezing. There was frozen ground and freezing fog. One of them days when the barrel never gets really warm, but after 3 rounds you are fighting heat haze off the barrel. A sort of day when you wish you had a couple of mile an hour wind , just to clear the heat haze.

I,m sure my groups would have been a little tighter, but for the conditions, but you have to go when you can dont you ?

Just competed in my second 600yrd br comp on Saturday,,,

First three groups were 2.124

Then my last group was a 7" er(bloody bump stop came loose)

Load used was 38.3g of varget

130g JLK bullets

cci450 primers

AGG for the day was 3.6 inches, even after dropping a boo boo on the last card of the day,,,

I have had my barrel on now for a couple of years,, 6.5x47 supplied by sporting services,,

and to be honest i will be going back there for my next,,,,

Just tried a new bag rider that was made by our very own Davy (Shooting shed)

This has the capability of being offset so as to counteract the torque of the rifle on the front rest,,

it is slightly undercut at the base so as to aid the bag riding capability, this in turn makes it very stable on the front rest,

It tracks fantastic and the return to point of aim is effortless, recoil back just push it to the bump stop and I am right on target again,,,

Did test this out on the farm be four hand and shot one of the smallest groups that i have ever had with this rifle bullet combination,

.116 five shots

IMG_1032_zps6edaa3d2.jpg

IMG_1027_zpsaa08904e.jpg

IMG_1059_zpsbea0053f.jpg

I do believe that i had the best AGG of the day

I'll hopeful be able to answer that one soon.

I have an AX in 308 thats awaiting shipping which I will be doing a 6.5x47 barrel for when it arrives.

Be interesting to see any difference between this on an AW action compared to the customs and semi customs I've built in the same calibre.

Be interesting to put run out gauge on the factory barrel you remove! Glad to see you're admitting to being a top smith. What make of barrel will you be fitting?? Or is it a secret?

Archived