Imperial meeting 2012

Firstly I would just like to say I pulled Desperado's original Imperial post in order to do this one, sorry Des, I know you understand.

This was my first Imperial meeting, and although things are done differently which seems alien everything seems to work smoothly, hiccups are minor and usually sorted out by the lovely ladies in the stats office or main office, quite simply if in doubt just ask.

I knew the Imperial was the NRA flag ship event, but I never really understood the size of it. For example, as some of you will know Century range has 108 lanes, virtually every lane is in use at the same time and each lane has three shooters on it, and while this is taking place Stickledown albeit with fewer lanes will also be in full use, that's a lot of organising.

Bisley008-1.jpg

Unfortunately I could only shoot the first three days of the F-class competition, that being the first Friday and the weekend.

The first competition was Century, 2 convertible sighters and 15 to count shot over 500&600 yards, UKV's David Lloyd won this ( a name you will hear quite a bit ) narrowly beating yours truly by 1 point 149.15 versus 148.14, a good start for us both.

Next up was the Weekend aggregate shoot which consisted of 300-500-600-900-1000 and 500 again. I saw this weekend shoot sorting out the contenders from the pretenders :) Conditions were wet and the wind tricky and often reversing on its self, so the scores were pretty good considering.

The weekend aggregate was won by Tony Marsh who only dropped 12 points from 450 and was closely followed by Steve Poultney, with David Lloyd and myself 3rd and 4th respectively. To highlight the accuracy of the rifles being used the V bulls are 3 inches at 600 yards and 2.5 inches at 500 yards, the highest V bull count out of a possible 90 was 39, that's just short of 45%.

I did say the weather was bad at times and shooting was stopped for safety reasons on several occasions. Tony took advantage of this to show off this year's must have F class fashion accessory (what the f*ck was he thinking about? a red floral brolly and green rifle, another fashion casualty). Shooting was actually stopped on the 300 yards range due to it being too muddy.

2012IMP012.jpg

It was clear to see from the weekend shoot that both Tony Marsh and David Lloyd were going to take some beating for the big one, which is the grand aggregate. From looking at the scores during the week they were pretty much neck and neck all the way with either one leading by a point at one time or another. It went down to the wire in the end, the last shoot was 600 yards and David was leading by one point, but they were both shooting at different times, Tony being first up. From speaking to David the night before he told me that they had both agreed not say what the scores were until it was all over, that's sportsmanship (Dave, don't be surprised to find a rattlesnake in your bed one night soon)

Tony put in a very respectable 73.7 but David piped him with a blistering 74.9, UKV's Danny T also finished up with a respectable 6th place and a 2nd place in H.M Queens final stage 1.

David ended up with 823.71 and Tony with 822.63. That's an average of 71.88 points per shoot out of a possible 75, that's remarkable shooting by anyone's standard.

2012IMP022.jpg

Here's a list of the competitions David won, it might be easier to list the ones he didn't win!

Individual Comps

The Century 500 and 600 yards 149.15V 1st place Gold medal

The Times 300 yards 75.7V 2nd place silver medal

The Corporation 1000 yards 70.3V 2nd place silver medal

The Prince of Wales 600 yards 74.9V 1st place Gold medal and challenge cup

Aggregates

FCWC Celebration weekend Aggregate 3rd place Bronze medal

Century Range Aggregate 1st place Gold medal and challenge cup.

Grand Aggregate 1st place Gold medal and Challenge Cup

Hobson Kent cup 1st place cup and gold medal

Finals

St Georges Final 1st place Challenge Cup and Gold medal

The Queens Prize F class final Challenge cup and Gold medal

Well earned smugness :lol:

032-1.jpg

Just a bit about David's kit

.284 Shehane

Stolle Panda F class action and topped off with a March 10-60x52 scope and MTR-2 ret

58 grains of H4831SC, CCI BR2 primers and 180 gr Berger VLD's.

Well done David.

Here's a list of the competitions David won, it might be easier to list the ones he didn't win!

Individual Comps

The Century 500 and 600 yards 149.15V 1st place Gold medal

The Times 300 yards 75.7V 2nd place silver medal

The Corporation 1000 yards 70.3V 2nd place silver medal

The Prince of Wales 600 yards 74.9V 1st place Gold medal and challenge cup

Aggregates

FCWC Celebration weekend Aggregate 3rd place Bronze medal

Century Range Aggregate 1st place Gold medal and challenge cup.

Grand Aggregate 1st place Gold medal and Challenge Cup

Hobson Kent cup 1st place cup and gold medal

Finals

St Georges Final 1st place Challenge Cup and Gold medal

The Queens Prize F class final Challenge cup and Gold medal

Well earned smugness :lol:

032-1.jpg

WOW! Well done Dave! :) :)

Fantastic shooting Dave, bet those 1000yrd bunnies down the cliffs are going to keep their heads down now :lol:

Cant wait to pop in for a chat about the shoot, once again well done mate ;):D:D

What a brilliant week it was.

We got very wet at times but it didn't dampen the fun.

The camaraderie and pure good fun was outstanding.

Thanks Ian for doing a tremendous write up and thanks guys for the kind remarks.

It was a week when the wind spoke English to me rather than it's usual Chinese!

My rifle has never shot better and it's got 1450 rounds through it so the Shehane is no barrel burner.

All this bodes well for my GB training trip to Raton in the USA in 3 weeks.

I must say to any guys out there who enjoy a bit of F class that the Imperial is a super shoot and you should give it a go.

I can't wait till next year, it's all too much fun.

I must also thank Neil (Dasherman) for building me such a superb rifle.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Ian/Dave/Tony

Nice to have My first post on the forum to congratulate you all.

Bloody well shot and lots of silver for you to keep clean Dave.

Ian very nice write up, Target shooter here we come. :)

All the best

Gary Costello

Well done Dave, superb results.

Welcome to the forum Gary.

Very well done all, we were only down for the Tuesday and the weather was good however it sounds like you had some monsoons along the way so to score like this....

Well done Dave, You have now proved what we have always known. That the welsh are the best shots in the country :lol:

ATB SEAN

Too bloody right :ph34r::lol:

You will have to come and join us as we need some more F class shooters to make up a squad for next years Imperial International match.

Cheers

Dave.

Archived