6mm BR Twist Rate

Looking for advice from people who HAVE a 6mm BR.

Wish to know two things please;

1 - what twist rate you have

2 - what range of bullet weights THAT twist rate shoots accurately

Im speccing a BR build and want to get TR correct - 70 - 105g bullets for me would mean 1-10

Would the 1-10 overspin the lighter bullets.....?

Looking for advice from people who HAVE a 6mm BR.

Wish to know two things please;

1 - what twist rate you have

2 - what range of bullet weights THAT twist rate shoots accurately

Im speccing a BR build and want to get TR correct - 70 - 105g bullets for me would mean 1-10

Would the 1-10 overspin the lighter bullets.....?

1 in 10 will struggle with 105's.

I don't think you will go far wrong with a 8 twist mine shoots 87 vmax to 105's with pin point accuracy.

I have shot 65/75s ok but the accuracy with the others were superior.

As I said I'm pretty sure the 10 twist will be useless with any 105s

Cheers

Dave

Both of my barrels were 1-8 twist, the Kreiger (Joel Russo stock) would shoot 105's superbly, the other which was a Pacnor barrel wouldn't shoot the 105's, although it shot the 90 and 95 grain bullets a treat.

I have a 1/8 twist border on mine it shoots 80gr bergers and 105gr Amax real well, id say it shoots the bergers alittle better but i did a six shot group the other day with the Amax at 100 yards and coverd it with a 5p, on a good day the bergers punch tiny little clover leaf groups, all is good ;)

1 in 10 will struggle with 105's.

I don't think you will go far wrong with a 8 twist mine shoots 87 vmax to 105's with pin point accuracy.

I have shot 65/75s ok but the accuracy with the others were superior.

As I said I'm pretty sure the 10 twist will be useless with any 105s

Cheers

Dave

Same thoughts... I have a 1-8 Pac nor.

I have a 1:8 twist Bartlein on mine

It has done everything from 66gr G&C Flat bases up to 105gr Berger VLD's all have shot wonderfully.

Cheers

Bruce

Im runing a 1-8 pacnor Andy

105 amax

65 vmax

55g noslers all bughole

my freebore is however in the low 70's which for a 1-8 twist is not the norm!

i wanted this to do it all & have to say it did/does!

if i was building a out & out foxer id do it differntly

from what i read on the 6mmbr fourum a zero freebore 1-14 1-12 will get close to 4k with 55g bullets!

see here http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post/55g-bullet-in-a-6-BR-3603338

ive seen 3800+ with mine but think im running in the low to mid 3700s at the mo as i started to see pressure!

im sure a 1-8 would be a fair bit slower mind!

not sure its luck or the shortish free bore that makes mine work so well with the light bullets!(they are still nowhere near the lands)

cheers Andy

Gents

thankyou for the replies so far.

Any other BR users?

I had a cooper 1-8 shot mainly 75 blitzkings and 87 vmax with very good accuracy for vermin.it would shoot 55 blitz kings accuratly but never went with them,the effects with the 87 vmax on vermin were "very pleasing". general rule of thumb with the 6br is 1-8 to shoot everything up to 105gn with good if not pinpoint accuracy.

I,ve only ever run 1 in 8" twists on the two i,ve owned Andy, and they have shot everything from 75 grains upwards, even the 107 sierra,s

Built dozens now with a 1 in 8",s but also have built quite a few on 1 in 12",s to shoot the 58 grain v-max. I have a reamer cut with a throat specifically for this bullet if you need to borrow it.

Someone in our DMG has a PRS one, 8 twist, shoots 69gn bergers for vermin and 105 gn hornadys on Reds at ranges some people think silly, holds sub .25 moa at 400y no probs. You got that tikka out the cabinet then?

So the Ratwife's BR must be the one off in the pack..... 1 - 10 twist.

She only wanted it for a hunting rifle and had not intentions of going further then 95's, it actually shoots 88's like it's on rails :)

I doubt greatly that it would handle anything over a 100 F/Base.

Mine is 1:9, Border barrel. Shoots 65gn, 70gn, 75gn and 87gn bullets all in the .2s. Never had I the desire to shoot heavier, since the 87gn Hornadys do all I ask of the gun (500yds bunnies and 250yds deer).

Best wishes

Finman

I,ve only ever run 1 in 8" twists on the two i,ve owned Andy, and they have shot everything from 75 grains upwards, even the 107 sierra,s

Built dozens now with a 1 in 8",s but also have built quite a few on 1 in 12",s to shoot the 58 grain v-max. I have a reamer cut with a throat specifically for this bullet if you need to borrow it.

Dave,

thats extremly kind, thanks. :)

Dave,

thats extremly kind, thanks. :)

Ronin

My Blaser is a 1/8 twist but seems to like the midrange bullet weights i.e 70 -80 gr. It doesn't seem to be that tolerant with 105 bullets though I intend to try other powders.

Archived