Smallbore Centrefire?

Sakotrg

Hi

I am looking for recommendations on a smallbore centrefire calibre.

Having spent a mint on reloading gear I would like to be able to reload my own ammunition.

Have been asked to clear up bunnies on a private estate and would like to keep the noise down as much as possible.

Thanks in advance

Have you had a look at the 20 cals! I hav'nt owned one YET! But I sure will one day. If your thinking factory would have to be 204 if your thinkng custom have to be a 20tac or a 20practical! Hav'nt heard any bad Things about any of the above

Rob

.17/.22 Fireball.... Some feeding issues

.20/.22 BR.... Lots of brass forming

.20/.22 PPC.... Boltface limitations

.20 Satan.... 600 rounds of barrel life

.22 Hornet.... I like Andrew's suggestion, as it's much overlooked.

6x45.... Not too bad

6x47.... .222mag/.204ruger brass

How far do you want to go??

You wont go wrong with any of these little bad boys mate,

17Rem,22 Hornett, .222Rem, .223, .204 Ruger, .20Tac

Steve,

take it from a convert the 17 furball takes some beating , moderates really well , deadly accurate , very frangible whats not to like ?

forgot it's cheap to run :)

take it from a convert the 17 furball takes some beating , moderates really well , deadly accurate , very frangible whats not to like ?

forgot it's cheap to run

+1 smokin, only drawback is getting hold of brass at minute :blush:

cheers jock

ST

Had a 20TAc when they first came out, plenty of brass as it's just a necked 223, fire forming loads are accurate and fast (3800 fps+ with the 33g bullet), no recoil and now a selection of bullets.

But anything from 222 'downwards' will work, the Deuce' has always been an accurate round but how about a 22PPC?

Really down to how much you want to spend or 'do' regarding reloading plus decide what you actualy want from the rifle rather than what sounds nice to have - if you know what I mean?

Terry

Thanks for all the responses so far, I am torn between the 17 Rem & the 17 Rem Fireball.

I already load the 223 Rem and I am concerned if there could be an issue with the brass and loaded rounds getting mixed up.

Purely working the basis if it can go wrong it will go wrong, is there any possibilty of this happening?

Thanks for all the responses so far, I am torn between the 17 Rem & the 17 Rem Fireball.

I already load the 223 Rem and I am concerned if there could be an issue with the brass and loaded rounds getting mixed up.

Purely working the basis if it can go wrong it will go wrong, is there any possibilty of this happening?

as regards getting rounds mixed up, yes the 223(1.79) and 17 rem (1.76)could possibly get mixed up at first glance,or at night, (almost the same length case)

, but there shouldn't be an issue with the 17 fireball as it's a much shorter case(1.41)

would you ever be likly to have both caliber rifles out at the same time

cheers jock

Both the 17 rem and fireball are great. 17 rem feeds from mag no problem. Where the fireball has problems feeding unless you get the right action to build it off.

17 rem bass is cheaper. And easy to get. Its 52 pound for fireball brass. Where I can get 17 rem brass for 37 pound.

Nostler are also bringing out there custom range of brass for the 17 rem soon.

which should be much better overall then the Remington offering.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Fireball and am very impressed with the way it knocks over Foxes. I am using Berger 25 grn Target bullets and they are very accurate in my rifle. Its an A1 with a Pacnor barrel, absolutely love the rifle. Have a 6.5 x 55 conditioned for Foxes and can honestly say I prefer using this, its just so nice to shoot.

i will go for the 204 ruger,i run 22 lr,17 hmr,but the 204 is the current favourite,acurate,deadly to fox,bunnie,crow,s,,no recoil,cracking round,only had her out to about 300yds,devastating round,good choice of brass,bullet head,s,powder,s,,ime lucky,mine shoot,s all weight,s,32g,34,g,39,g,40g,of bullet.s,and a doddle to reload,love it,,ian

Am I missing something ? If you already load for 223 why not just use that?

Dual residences

Have spoken to Russel Gall and will be looking for him to make a 17 Rem for me as quite a few people that I have spoken to highly rate the calibre.

• 3 weeks later...

17 Rem is a nice cartridge but it wont do much the 17 Fireball wont do inside 250 yards. Prac 20 might be another choice but the brass is the same as your 223 so easy to mix, done that myself with BR and PPC cases. 17 Rem is also based on this case so potential issues.

The 204/222 are pretty close to your 223 performance wise, so a step down then its a reduced capacity 17. 150 yards or below the 17 Hornet in some guise, I run one of them, sweet, easy to mod and deadly. 250 yards and below then 17 Fireball, above 250 yards use your 223 !!.

A

I resisted saying that :)

No point getting a Deuce for example if you already have a .223.

You'd need to go down to at least a .17 Fireball to make any "gains" on noise.

Chris-NZ

• 2 weeks later...

I have a .17HMR which is fabulous and accurate but cracky. Am seriously considering a 20Tac for the longer range and fox and a .22FAC air rifle for 60 - 80 yard rabbits on my new permission which won't stand a centrefire.

Archived