Electronic slimline ear defenders?

Elwood

Can anyone recommend a set.

I have been using a set of Peltor Tactical 7's, and while they are very good (now discontinued) they are far to bulky for rifle shooting, so I'm in the market for a slimline set.

I have been looking at the MSA Sordin Basic http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Basic/dp/B003JSIUIO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328431376&sr=8-2

Or the Deben http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DN9NFI/ref=asc_df_B004DN9NFI6433959?smid=A3QQQEQGSFRAHD&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B004DN9NFI

Ideally I would like a set of custom molded electronic plugs but my budget doesn't stretch that far.

Can anyone recommend a set.

I have been using a set of Peltor Tactical 7's, and while they are very good (now discontinued) they are far to bulky for rifle shooting, so I'm in the market for a slimline set.

I have been looking at the MSA Sordin Basic http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Basic/dp/B003JSIUIO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328431376&sr=8-2

Or the Deben http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DN9NFI/ref=asc_df_B004DN9NFI6433959?smid=A3QQQEQGSFRAHD&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B004DN9NFI

Ideally I would like a set of custom molded electronic plugs but my budget doesn't stretch that far.

Just clicked on those links, was expecting to see the debens at 0.5 to 0.4 the price of the Sordins; if they're the same price - then without a second's thought: the Sordins :)

Just clicked on those links, was expecting to see the debens at 0.5 to 0.4 the price of the Sordins; if they're the same price - then without a second's thought: the Sordins :)

Nearly choke over coffee yesterday

Answered an advert while I was at the club

They are advertising exactly what you describe and was having a promotion offer of 599 !

I think when I got my Debens they were around £70 or so. Just checked Uttings and they are selling them for £78, definitely worth that if you ask me.

Uttings

I've not tried the Sordins, so no idea how they compare like for like. I can say though that the Debens have been used week in week out, stood up to all weather conditions, been chucked about and show no signs of wear and tear. To give you some idea of how effective they are on noise cancellation I don't need to double up with plugs when shooting my braked .338LM inside a covered firing point - I'm more worried about my fillings falling out ;)

Hi,

The Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ear defenders are ideal for rifle shooting, I use them and have supplied several pairs to club members. Edgar Bros. have done special deals for dealers (3 for the price of 2) and should be obtainable from most shooting suppliers. They are made by Bilsom and are nicely put together, they pop up on Amazon for around £54, I believe the RRP is around £98,

Alan

I don't have any experience of the others but I've abused a pair of Debens slimline ear defenders for 9 years now and have never had a problem with them.

They are comfy to wear and don't get in the way of your shooting and give good hearing protection.

Peltor Sportacs, best £95 i spent. i have no problems with them fitting whilst shooting

Alan

I also have a pair of the peltor sportacs but find they get in the way quite badly. Like elwood I need to find an alternative. Like the look of the sordins. Can you plug iPods and the like strait into them, that would also be an improvement over the peltors.

Rup

I also have a pair of the peltor sportacs but find they get in the way quite badly. Like elwood I need to find an alternative. Like the look of the sordins. Can you plug iPods and the like strait into them, that would also be an improvement over the peltors.

Rup

You can in the more expensive ones, I have opted for the Sordin supreme basic with the jel pads.

You can in the more expensive ones, I have opted for the Sordin supreme basic with the jel pads.

these are great for old gits with shot out hearing like me, if your in a high seat with these on they inhance the softer noise so you can hear stuff better than without them on . There also god for driven hunts or if you are paired up useing a radio pluged in hunting or shooting

• 2 months later...

Ian,

Where did you find the best/cheapest place for them and are the gel pads worth the extra?

Steve, I got mine from Amazon believe it or not.

As for the Gel pads, I bought a set and swapped them straight over, so I can't really compare, but they are super comfy.

Steve, I got mine from Amazon believe it or not.

As for the Gel pads, I bought a set and swapped them straight over, so I can't really compare, but they are super comfy.

Thanks Ian. Do they do the gel pads in wingnut size. :lol:

There are plenty of outfits in the US that do Peltor 6S's for a std $80 and some down to $59.

I have a pair my son uses and likes- they're certainly slim. I've tried them a couple of times and they sounded fine. Bit of a bee-atch to change the batteries on though.

Chris-NZ

We both use Sordin Supreme Pro-X's and I cannot rate them too highly, great things and the battery seems to last for ever as well.

Archived