Chronographs -which one?

About time I finally buy one; grateful for the consensus on what's the 'best chrono' these days.

('Best' in my book would mean -easy to transport and quick to set up; simple and easy to use; robust - oh, and sensibly priced )

Thanks!

BD

I use a C.E.D. Millenium. Had it a good few years now and it has always performed well. I will buy the Infra Red update screens when i can find the cash. I think there is an improved model since i got mine. Never regretted buying it.

I got mine from the Sportsman.

Nick.

What's the consensus on 'best chrono' these days?

('Best' in my book would mean -easy to transport and quick to set up; simple and easy to use; robust - oh, and sensibly priced )

Thanks!

Hi Matt,

I'm still using an old CED Millenium, quick to set up and idiot proof (thank God). It seems to be consistent and other than having to remove the skyscreens if the sun goes in has proven to be reliable over umpteen years. When purchased it was a choice between the CED and the Chrony (with built-in screen). As I have witnessed 2 of these take a bullet 'straight in the face' (destroying screen and electronics) I reckon I chose wisely. For more sophisticated instrumentation try getting an Oehler or similar,

Cheers

Alan

About time I finally buy one; grateful for the consensus on what's the 'best chrono' these days.

Thanks!

I use a ced and to be honest it's not fast to set up but I do like having the display and controls right next to you while your testing ammo , robust ? Well the front sensor took a hit from a 243 and still works !

It's easy to use for the basics but it does a lot of your calcs for you if you want But does in my opinion become more difficult to use then but having said that mine is quite an old model and they may be a little different now?

Well, it's 3 - 0 to the CED! Anyone spot a trend developing?

Alan

I use a Chrony, maybe not the professionals choice or in Oheler league but it's perfectly good for home use and served me well for a number of years..... so thats 3-1 :lol:

Andy

Both myself and two of the lads that I shoot with all use the chrony F1.

It's idiot proof, very robust and easy to setup. Can't comment on accuracy but like SE, the results match the drop charts well enough.

That's 3-5 ;-)

The Oehler family are still making the 35P, (which is the one I have)

The other, which would be on my wish list would be a Mod 43....

http://www.oehler-research.com/index.html

I would also consider a PVM-21 if I were to look at an alternative to the Oehler.

(link to this already provided by previous poster)

I have owned CED and thought it was useless (I may have got a poor example) but ive owned the Oehler for the last 8 years and its never let me down.

The proof (checking system) within the Oehler makes this the obvious choice for you and your'e requirements.

(No, mine is not for sale) :)

http://www.oehler-research.com/index.html

I would also consider a PVM-21 if I were to look at an alternative to the Oehler.

(link to this already provided by previous poster)

I have owned CED and thought it was useless (I may have got a poor example) but ive owned the Oehler for the last 8 years and its never let me down.

The proof (checking system) within the Oehler makes this the obvious choice for you and your'e requirements.

(No, mine is not for sale) :)

That does surprise me, but as you say, with most things you can get a Monday morning/Friday afternoon model. :angry:

I use the CED with the infrared screens. (In fact two, so I get the real bullet BC)

I’ve had them from when they first came out and never missed a beat.

Having put a 357 bullet through the face of a Chrony in my pistol days, I never thought it a good idea to put an expensive gadget in the firing line with me waving a gun about, a sensor is cheaper to replace.

As for matching drop charts? As they say, SISO.

ATB

I,m trying to source an Oehler, but if that fails, then i,m going to look at the pvm 21.

i can get you one dave if you wish not cheap though

I use a ced and to be honest it's not fast to set up but I do like having the display and controls right next to you while your testing ammo , robust ? Well the front sensor took a hit from a 243 and still works !

It's easy to use for the basics but it does a lot of your calcs for you if you want But does in my opinion become more difficult to use then but having said that mine is quite an old model and they may be a little different now?

+1 CED for me for the above reasons.

Just ordered an Oehler direct from the company. Couldn,t have been more helpfull too.

Thats me fresh outta kidneys....... :lol:

Only just seen your post Spud. Thank you for the offer. ;)

Last I'd heard Andy was they'd stopped making the 43.

Fantastic unit- my gunsmith clubmates have one and it now lives at the HQ of NZ Hunter mag. Gets a lot of good use.

There's pretty much nothing it can't tell you and you certainly can believe the vels shown

Chris-NZ

Archived