dilemma!!!!

t.t

ive a dilemma :rolleyes:

ive a .223 tika 595 and a howa.308, I fancy a 6.5x47 a rifle for long range vermin fox and odd roe.

now do i sell what i have and get a 6.5x47 "a man with only 1 rifle knows how to use it" :blink: , rebarrel my 308 and keep my 223 for fox & vermin

what are the costs involved etc ect?

I would like a 26" 1in8 twist fluted medium stainless barrel and tactial stock

my head is battered with crawling the net for info etcetc :lol::o

NO , I would not go 6.5x47mm , for no other reason , than as this case uses a small rifle primer , what that means is for should not run it in a std 308 bolt head which is really designed for the large rifle primer , you should have bolt with a smaller firing pin hole , ie a bushed nstd 308 bolt , or if a custom action , then a special small sized firing pin hole & firing pin .

Simplier solution , is just run a 260 with lapua brass , as this does NOT need the smaller dia firing pin & hole etc , due to the case using a large rifle primer .

Later Chris

NO , I would not go 6.5x47mm , for no other reason , than as this case uses a small rifle primer , what that means is for should not run it in a std 308 bolt head which is really designed for the large rifle primer , you should have bolt with a smaller firing pin hole , ie a bushed nstd 308 bolt , or if a custom action , then a special small sized firing pin hole & firing pin .

Simplier solution , is just run a 260 with lapua brass , as this does NOT need the smaller dia firing pin & hole etc , due to the case using a large rifle primer .

Later Chris

plus one on this !

t.t.

Personnally I'd go for the 6.5x47 as it has been for me and a couple of good friends a very accurate cartridge. I've heard of the primer hole problem but have never experianced it in my rifle (Surgeon action) or seen in in my frineds (stock Tikka ex 308). But then again I've not pushed the 47 case at all but still achiving quite usable velocities (123g@2900+ and 139g@2800+). Perhaps I'm just lucky in my selection of primers and powder :)

Re. the .243. If you put a 1:7.5 twist on you open up use of the 115 DTAC's which can be pushed to good velicity and still retain sensible barrel life and are very effective. 30% less elevation required compared to the 308. This gives you a nice range round but will still work with the 105g bullets for other work.

Brgds Terry

Later Chris

I'm with Chris on the 260... my FAVE calibre.

I'm with Chris on the 260... my FAVE calibre.

What's wrong with the 6.5x55?? more rifles around, equally accurate, can handle up to 140gn (some may even argue 156gn) and loading data galore...

Finman

What's wrong with the 6.5x55?? more rifles around, equally accurate, can handle up to 140gn (some may even argue 156gn) and loading data galore...

Finman

nothing, it is a splendid calibre its just why have the long action for the same performance?

Personally I would keep the 223 and get rid of the Howa.

Build a 6.5x47 or 260, bith will deal with any UK species.

Better ballistically than the 308

The 260 has the edge as it will handle 130 + grainers.

Ive had personal input with many 6.5x47's, built on custom and factory actions, the only one that had any issues with pressure (firing pin) was a Stiller - which was resolved by changing primer brand.

Yes, you would be better (in an ideal world) to have a small diameter pin if you choose the "47", but 99% of the time it isnt an issue unless you start to push velocities.

Unless there is a decent trigger available for the Howa, I wouldnt build it on that...

Hi,

Keep the .223 and use the Howa as a basis for a .260 Rem. Virtually identical performance to the 6.5x47, works through your existing action without any problems, top quality components available. Will your local Licensing Dept. condition a 6.5/.260 for vermin? This could effect your choices. The Howa could be used for anything from a basic conversion to a full blown custom job. The triggers can be tuned to a very crisp sub 2,1/2 pound pull,

Cheers

Alan

...ive a .223 tika 595 and a howa.308... do i sell what i have and get a 6.5x47 "a man with only 1 rifle knows how to use it", rebarrel my 308 and keep my 223 for fox & vermin...

I would like a 26" 1in8 twist fluted medium stainless barrel and tactial stock...

You have people suggesting these comparatively big-bore (deer cartridge) rifles as a one size fits all solution but I think that's mistaken. Horses for courses: .223 is a very good chambering in a varmint rifle, possibly the most commonly used in the world by varmint hunters. I'm not sure if you're "varmint hunting" as such, or just shoot the occasional pest, but standard-twist rifles in .223 will handle bullets from 40gr to 55gr perfectly well for your varmint/pest purposes, with great accuracy and good economy. I'd keep your Tikka and think about re-barrelling the .308 if you really want a flatter shooting, more economical deer rifle, in any of the 6mm-6.5mm chambering suggested. Not sure whether you want that fast-twist long barrel for the deer rifle or for varminting, though it implies long-distance shooting from prone so perhaps the former, as does the tactical stock. I personally don't see the point of "tactical stocks" unless one is in the SAS or a SWAT team but each to his own. Hey, if you forgo the tactical stock (these seem to be horribly expensive) you could probably afford to re-barrel both your rifles...

Tony

decided to keep the 223 :) i love it to bits shot loads of stuff with it from crows rabbits foxes even roe (scotland)esp with it being a 595 stainless like rocking horse $hit to get now

6.5x47 after the new year me thinks :blink: and sell my howa. Any offers guys :blush:

Exactly , whats wrong with the Howa's , other than weight .

All the ones I have handed , have much smoother actions than Rem700s , they do have much less , after market gear made for them , and gunsmiths hate them as the barrels can be on tight .

Opps , yeap , the bolts are one piece instead of the cheap way 3 piece silver soldiered bolts of the Rems .

I think , other than the scope dovetails & fixed ejector , they are a lot like the Old model Sako actions in their design .

Later Chris

Archived