308 or not 308

6.5shooter

Just a question I have been wondering lately, thought id ask and see whats hapenning.

Are there any/many of you folk still shooting the 308 for paper punching apart from people in FTR class?

Is this cartridge slowly fading away amongst us civillians?

I mean, the amount of people lately on here that have had custom tactical rifles built and the majoroty are chambered in 6.5 of some sort.

Im just interested really. Like in a tactical role, shoots like mcqueens etc are there any people still using this cartridge and doing well with it against all the 6.5's ? Or are these shooters just waiting for their barrels to be shot so they can rebarrel to something else? Maybe they are die hard 308 nuts who refuse to give up their much loved 308?

Just being curious here.

Maybe the gunsmiths among us can shed light on the subject as they would know first hand on the sort of rifles being built at the mo.....

Garry

Hi Gary...

I shoot a .308 TRG at the moment but not in any comps.

I use it for hunting / paper punching and gong shooting at long range.

I love the round and just recently sold a 6mmBR choosing to keep the .308win :blink:

Yeh...I know I know ...but there is something inherently enjoyable about shooting the TRG that is so much fun.

It probably does not answer your question, but thought I would let you know there is still a .308 in MY life ... B)

Hi

I think everybody should have a .308

Plus it was interesting to see that 1st and 2nd places at the recent WMS comp went to .308. This was against some beautiful customs in 6.5x47, 6mmbr, .243 etc.

Even more impressive is second place being taken with a 16" barrel.

Regards

DTA Europe

Where is the best place to buy a DTA rifle in the UK as I will be in the market for a 7.62 later in the year and am considering an AI AX as I've had an AW in the past.

Hi

I think everybody should have a .308

Plus it was interesting to see that 1st and 2nd places at the recent WMS comp went to .308. This was against some beautiful customs in 6.5x47, 6mmbr, .243 etc.

Even more impressive is second place being taken with a 16" barrel.

Regards

DTA Europe

Agree totally with DTA, the .308 is a top caliber.

The .308 in field conditions can hold its own against the customs and win.

It's one thing making small holes at 100m off a bench, another when out in the field, when dirt and other nasties ingress into the gun.

The .308 is battle proven and I would rather have that on ops than any small fancy caliber - ask any one who's used a .308 on Ops.

Kind Regards

Rob

the .260 remington is a good all round calibre with less recoil good barrel life and shoots well at distance with right load i used a .308 remington loved it untill i got the barnard 07 .260 pleasure to shoot but out and out prone rifle

Its interesting to see so many people still have a love acfair with the 308. Im quite a young shooter (26) and although I have never owned a 308 I have shot quite a few of them at a few clubs I am in.

I bit the bullet a year ago and had my 1st custom rifle built in 6.5x47 and I must say I really do enjoy it. It does eveeything I ask and more as the rifle outshoots the shooter often. Though I have been playing with the idea of getting a barrel in 308 added on to my certificate as a switch barrel job on my rpa action.

Feels as if I have jumped straight in and missed out on the experience of the 308 to be able to appreciate it fully but heyho I wouldnt give up my 6.5 at the same time thats fpr sure.

I wonder if the 6.5's take over for paper or will the 308's always rule the tactical roost.

Garry

The .308 in field conditions can hold its own ...

It's one thing making small holes at 100m off a bench, another when out in the field, when dirt and other nasties ingress into the gun.

The .308 is battle proven and I would rather have that on ops than any small fancy caliber - ask any one who's used a .308 on Ops.

Rob

Two slightly different issues there Rob. Field reliability is all about the weapon system, not really the cartridge. Having said that, the "knock down" of a .308 is a helluva lot better than 5.56, as proven by the development of the 6.8

Chris-NZ

Well I still love my 308. Bought one and was undecided in the shop which model to buy. Fast forward 2 years and ended up going back fancying the other model. Guy said i will do you a fair deal which he did and so I got the remy vs. This has taken quite a few deer and foxes. Ok so its a bit of a heavy combination and all that but the 308 just works.

Have a 243 sako as well but find I always go for the 308 so considering selling it.

Tempted for a 6.5 x 47 but would keep the 308 as well. Not really sold on the 243 calibre so a future change might be on the cards.

I build probarbly 5 times more .308,s than any other calibre. God knows why. Put one against a 6.5 on a windy day, and the .308 will lose every time.

People put decent scores on a mcqueens head at diggle in bad wind with a 6.5 or a 6. The guys with the .308,s are usually blown on and off the head.

Its a horrible cartridge with a stab of a kick. If you are going to get kicked, get kicked by something with speed, like a 300 win mag or 30-06.

The only things the .308 has as a battle round is being short action and knock down power. Read some of Hathcocks exploits with a 30-06....he wouldn,t have made those shots with a .308.

well i like my rem 700 pss in308 caliber a versatile round, yes the 155grn match rounds can get blown about a bit but for stopping work on deer or vermin it does all i want it too, but for that job i tend to find i like running a lighter bullet with 110 grn vmax being a great round in my gun with light recoil. also another favorite i use is a 125 grn soft point dont know what velocity i achieve but neither seems affected much by wind and are at lower charge weights of varget could be interesting seeing what these light bullet can achieve when loaded to higher charge weights and what velocity can be achieved .

graham.

I build probarbly 5 times more .308,s than any other calibre. God knows why. Put one against a 6.5 on a windy day, and the .308 will lose every time.

People put decent scores on a mcqueens head at diggle in bad wind with a 6.5 or a 6. The guys with the .308,s are usually blown on and off the head.

Its a horrible cartridge with a stab of a kick. If you are going to get kicked, get kicked by something with speed, like a 300 win mag or 30-06.

The only things the .308 has as a battle round is being short action and knock down power. Read some of Hathcocks exploits with a 30-06....he wouldn,t have made those shots with a .308.

Doh, your telling me you built me a .308 POS???????????????

I want my money back.... (I will keep the Fly Badge though!!!!!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still happy with it................... :)

regards

jma

Its still an extremely popular cartridge, John, and the default stting on an FAC application for most people.....because its widely available mainly.

If a guy is stuck with buying a factory rifle, then it has to be the first choice for a jack of all trades target gun. Just my personal opinion this though. I,ve always found the cartridge to have a spitefull kick, and not the ballistics to go with that kick.In fact, i would much rather shoot any of the larger .30,s or even my 338 all day, than a .308.The bigger cases push, the .308 stabs.

No doubting its knockdown power on deer or men, but you have to hit them first. The USMC have recently put into service a batch of 6.5 x 47 rifles [built by mcmillan i think ] They can see the ballistic merits of the 6.5....its just a lot easier to shoot accuratly at long range/windy conditions.

Dave,

I twas only joking about the POS matey.... :lol:

As you know my plan is eventually to rebarrel to .260 which I have a slot for.

I do not see any point in doing that on a sub 500 shot barrel though (showing my Yorkshire tightness here :rolleyes:)

So far I am pleased with the results this rifle has returned in the few comps I have entered with it.

regards

jma

The USMC have recently put into service a batch of 6.5 x 47 rifles [built by mcmillan i think ] They can see the ballistic merits of the 6.5....its just a lot easier to shoot accuratly at long range/windy conditions.

Surely, if that's correct it has to be about a USMC target shooting squad?

If not that sounds wholly like scuttlebutt; horse-power matters when you're scrapping.

Quick Quiz:

It's a windy day.

You just spilt beef broth all over yourself

and have accidentally burst the packets of beef mince you have in each pocket.

500metres downwind a starving grizzly has just stepped out of the forest edge and started jogging towards you.

Do you pick up:

(1) your 6.5x47 (because it's windy)

or

(2) your 7.62 (because you want to kill it)

[sorry, it's a trick question.

You pick up

(3) Your 338 because it deals with both concerns :lol: ]

Gents,

Ther is no doubt that the 308 is an accurate and well proven cartridge for hunting of animals and men.

But we are getting bit mixed in usage here. If we are not talking about 'killing things' but general target shooting then the 'exotic' calibers win when you are not restricted by rules i.e. ultimate square on target shooting = open F-class then you are going to be struggling to beat a hot 7mm with a 308.

In tactical competitons the 'wind-cheaters' have been at the top for the past 6-7 years, to the point that they sometimes put on 308 only comps with issue ammo to level the field.

As to the result of the UKV bash at WMS, do not read too much into the result, the folks who won are good shooters and, if we are honest, the course of fire was quite 'tame' and designed around the capbilities of the 308 as a bench mark. Put in a couple of UKD's, a mover and then stages where you have a large arc of fire on the targets (you were able to dial windage, not possible in a stiff comp, hold windage only ) then the 308 will soon become tiring and at a big disadvantage.

Terry

Archived