6.5 Creedmoor - pierced primer at 41.5gr RS62?

MichalS

Today I tested my first 6.5CM loads with 139gr Scenar in Stag 10 AR, Hornady LRP brass (S&B primer). I prepared 25 cartridges, starting at 41.5gr and finishing at 43.5gr every 0.5gr to plot the velocity. COAL 2.80". According to RS load data max load in this combination is 44.8gr RS62, so I thought I was conservative.

First 4 shots @41.5gr were fine, with MV in the 795-800m/s. On the fith shot with the same velocity the primer pierced. MV was 794m/s and the shot actually went inside the earlier group...

Was it a defective primer? Shall I ignore it and continue?

Michal

20190802_230642.jpg

20190802_230600.jpg

A friend had this problem with a Bergara B14BMP. in 6.5 CM

It happened with several different types of primer including Murom and others I don't remember

There was a problem with the firing pin which involved sending the rifle back and getting the firing pin replaced

Cheers

Bruce

Have a look at the firing pin tip with a magnifying glass.........if it's a smooth dome with no sharp protrusions, chances are you had a dud primer.

The strikes actually look quite light from your photo's.

Pete

Friend just had his Begara B14-BMP returned for piercing primers, not a hot load being used, 35.5gr of N150 with a 139gr Scenar.  He was told the distributor had "done something to the bolt face and firing pin".

Took it out last Sunday and got another pierced primer in the first 10 rounds.  Rifle is going back.

It may be a reflection in the photo, but there's a mark on the tip that looks as though it might be chipped,which could cause piercing.

It would also be a good idea to measure the protrusion.

Should be around 1.6mm.

Pete

It seems the S&B primers are the weak link. I repeated the experiment today and again got cratering and a pierced primer, this time @42.5gr RS62. I did another set with the same load (41.5-43gr RS62), 140gr Berger LRBT and Federal GM primers and was able to get ~835m/s @43.0gr (~2750fps) with no pressure signs. Groups were awful though. Got good grouping with 139 Scenar @42.0gr/805m/s (0.35MOA), I will push it further with GM primer.

Edit: On closer inspection there is a bit of cratering @43.0gr (nearest row).

received_2461857403877569.jpeg

20190803_183831.jpg

There are bright circular wipe marks on the case heads that typically occur when the brass is extruding into the ejector hole, ie pressure on the high side................

Pete

Shiney spots on the base = a hot load, that surprises me as I tried 42grs in my 6.5x47 and I didn't have any pressure signs I just felt it was harsher than I expected, dropped it back 0.5grs and it felt better and shot like a laser at 600yds.

I thought the creedmoor had more powder room so I'm surprised your getting pressure signs at 42grs.

7 hours ago, dodgyrog said:

Fad?

Flavour of the month?

10 year+ fad/fotm?

Bare in mind this isnt a bolt gun. I know nothing of ARs short of reading bits here and there but things like excess gas pressure can cause ejector marks I believe, likewise headspace/chamber issues can twonk primers.