New Tikka rimfire

bradders

Back from the range.

I need to preface this report by saying that the weather did not clean up as we had hoped and the overcast skies were still hovering over near freezing temps. The wind was also a small factor but it was more like a stiff breeze. We did very little shooting at 50 yards but spent a great deal of time at 25 with a variety of ammunitions. Between us we had a Sako Finfire heavy barreled match rifle and two Tikka T1X. The Sako was shot off of a bipod and the Tikkas off of a canvas shooting bag. No rifle had a rear rest. We shot ammo we had from Federal "Lightning" uber bargain basement ammo to Federal Ultra Match with several brands and styles of bullet inbetween.

The punch line: I can honestly say there was no difference in accuracy between the rifles. This was switching shooters, swapping rifles, but always comparing the same ammunition per session. The most accurate was the RWS-made Federal Ultra Match. Swapping rifles and shooters produced identical groups across the board using it. At 50M the Federal / RWS was shooting 1/4" to 5/16" but to show what trollops the Tikka's were, they out theĀ  $1.99/50 Federal Lightning into a half inch. Almost always four cutting and one out, which I believe is simply the ammunition. At 25M the Ultra Match was delivering bug holes from all three rifles. They would put the bullets into as small a hole as the shooter was able to hold steady enough for. All the shooters were amazed at the lack of fussiness all three rifles showed. When I asked the other two shooters if they would agree that all three rifles were equally accurate they said yes without hesitation.

~Andrew

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

That is very useful info Andrew. Your mix-n-match approach has got rid of quite a few variables.

I must admit, despite being cold, we all had a great time. The guy who owns the other T1X works with me and he was still talking about the level of accuracy we got. In talking more I told him that in retrospect, it makes perfect sense that the rifles shot similarly: SAKO makes Tikka, and the only 22LR they make is the FinnFire. I once asked the SAKO people at the SHOT Show how they decided what barrel was fit to a Tikka rifle and what barrel was fit to a SAKO. They said that all the barrel blanks rolled off the same machinery. I'm guessing that they followed suit with the T1X. There is no point in setting up a new production line for .22LR when they already have one.(??)

One thing I didn't mention because it is really aside the accuracy issue was that shooting off hand standing (which we do more than not) was a real pleasure. It was very hard to miss.~Andrew

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

I must admit, despite being cold, we all had a great time. The guy who owns the other T1X works with me and he was still talking about the level of accuracy we got. In talking more I told him that in retrospect, it makes perfect sense that the rifles shot similarly: SAKO makes Tikka, and the only 22LR they make is the FinnFire. I once asked the SAKO people at the SHOT Show how they decided what barrel was fit to a Tikka rifle and what barrel was fit to a SAKO. They said that all the barrel blanks rolled off the same machinery. I'm guessing that they followed suit with the T1X. There is no point in setting up a new production line for .22LR when they already have one.(??)

One thing I didn't mention because it is really aside the accuracy issue was that shooting off hand standing (which we do more than not) was a real pleasure. It was very hard to miss.~Andrew

You wonā€™t get any offhand shooting with this lot, it all has to be from the latestĀ Ladypod.....preferably with a rear bag thrown in to boot!

As for barrels, I canā€™t see why a company would choose to make barrels in different ways, so it stands to reason they use the same ones

8 hours ago, Moorlander said:

Bipod/bags confirms the rifles accuracy , offhand shooting confirms the shooters ability.

Agree, if one has not checked the ability of the rifle, found the right ammo and maybe tweaked it a bit ā€¦ then found out it's accuracy potential, how will one be able to judge the off-hand shooting results?

Hunting with a 22 here is mostly off a bonnet, off a ditch or off quad sticks, less off-hand. Good to practice off hand though, one reason toĀ have a 22.

edi

11 hours ago, Moorlander said:

Bipod/bags confirms the rifles accuracy , offhand shooting confirms the shooters ability.

The vegetation here is generally high enough to require standing off hand for rabbits and such. Likewise deer: If you are hunting mule deer on the flats and are willing to take a long shot, then you can get prone sometimes. Otherwise it's a standing proposition. Whitetail deer are almost always standing and require a fairly decisive commitment to shoot -lest you be left seeing nothing where you once saw a deer. I practice off hand with my T3, 308 because it's cheaper than my identically equipped 7-08 which is my main hunting rifle. The T1X will now be my practice for my practice, as it were. When shouldered it feels like a T3 but for the weight and balance.~Andrew

I am referring to that fact that all shooting onĀ here has to take place with some form ofĀ artificial orĀ mechanical rest attached to the rifle, abominations, and to try a divert to load testing reasons wonā€™t fool me šŸ™‚

I am happy to say that I donā€™t own one of these contraptions anymore, and am also happy to say that my Tikka should be here by the weekend, when I shall then shoot it from the elbows....as the Good Lord intended!

2 hours ago, bradders said:

I am referring to that fact that all shooting onĀ here has to take place with some form ofĀ artificial orĀ mechanical rest attached to the rifle, abominations, and to try a divert to load testing reasons wonā€™t fool me šŸ™‚

I am happy to say that I donā€™t own one of these contraptions anymore, and am also happy to say that my Tikka should be here by the weekend, when I shall then shoot it from the elbows....as the Good Lord intended!

Tell you what mark, I'll get a nice spot baited up at 300yds,you come over in a couple of weeks and show me how to shoot a fox offhand under the lamp, oh yeah, you could try some rabbits as well.

And I think the ethical shooting boys really would get the hump šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

3 hours ago, bradders said:

Do you also use your legs to get youĀ everywhere,Ā "as the Good Lord intended"?Ā 

2 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Tell you what mark, I'll get a nice spot baited up at 300yds,you come over in a couple of weeks and show me how to shoot a fox offhand under the lamp, oh yeah, you could try some rabbits as well.

And I think the ethical shooting boys really would get the hump šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I havenā€™tĀ had a pop at an animal in years Bob, oddly enough though I think thee last time was a fox....Shot from the window of a Land Rover at about 180yds

i think I was resting on the elbows for that šŸ™‚

1 hour ago, chaz said:

Do you also use your legs to get youĀ everywhere,Ā "as the Good Lord intended"?Ā 

I use my legs to get me to the car, Ā bike,Ā tube, Uber etc, and when at Bisley I use them to propel me up and down the range like a leopard at our wonderful hugely popular CSR matches

I shoot in the non LadyboyĀ class you know, just like Jesus would

4 hours ago, bradders said:

When shooting, I am an "Any port in a storm" kind of guy. If there is a fence post or a tree to lean on I will. I have leaned over the hood of a pick up truck to shoot vermin. When I shoot prairiedogs I set up a tripod and a chair and relax while I shoot. And yes, I own several bipods I use for long range target shooting. That said, I am still obligated by the nature of our local shooting to be able to shoot standing. There is nothing sadder than to be hunting with a guest and have them miss the opportunity for a shot because they threw themselves onto the ground to deploy a bipod, or worse, the look of panic on their faces when they realize that there is no way to get a clear shot if they do lie down.

Many shooters have too much glass on too heavy a rifle and deny any urge to even try to shoot standing/unsupported -even on close targets. Off hand shooting takes practice and discipline and moreover, a rifle designed for it. This is why I am always pleased when I find a rifle that suits me for off hand shooting.~Andrew

2 hours ago, bradders said:

I havenā€™tĀ had a pop at an animal in years Bob, oddly enough though I think thee last time was a fox....Shot from the window of a Land Rover at about 180yds

i think I was resting on the elbows for that šŸ™‚

Now come on mark, tell us the truth, are you sure it was the elbows or the landrovers glass ladypodšŸ˜€

I can practice off-hand 22 from my workshop door.Ā Also have a few targets in the garden to practice, very important to me. My ideal deer rifle should beĀ capable of, off the shoulder shots as well as the 400m deer prone.Ā At deer or fox I'd always pick the best position time allows... nothing to prove.

edi

2 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Now come on mark, tell us the truth, are you sure it was the elbows or the landrovers glass ladypodšŸ˜€

I swear to the Good Lord that I don't own a LadypodĀ® anymore, someone wanted one (deranged person that he was) so I flogged him mine

Honest

Ā 

The shot was fro the rear door of a Discovery, so I may have been resting my forearm

6 hours ago, bradders said:

I use my legs to get me to the car, Ā bike,Ā tube, Uber etc, and when at Bisley I use them to propel me up and down the range like a leopard at our wonderful hugely popular CSR matches

I shoot in the non LadyboyĀ class you know, just like Jesus would

šŸ˜‚Ā I knew you wouldn't be able to come up with anything of any substance to that one!

3 hours ago, bradders said:

I swear to the Good Lord that I don't own a LadypodĀ® anymore, someone wanted one (deranged person that he was) so I flogged him mine

Honest

Ā 

The shot was fro the rear door of a Discovery, so I may have been resting my forearm

Lol, ok I believe youšŸ˜‹. Nice shot

I shot it for many years. My shooting buddy was M. Everheart, the (then)world champion in 100m rimfire and 500M centerfire. Watched her knock down 34 consecutive 500 mtr ram targets one afternoon. That woman could shoot. Probably still can.~Andrew

On 11/21/2018 at 4:30 AM, Andrew said:

Many shooters have too much glass on too heavy a rifle and deny any urge to even try to shoot standing/unsupported -even on close targets. Off hand shooting takes practice and discipline and moreover, a rifle designed for it. This is why I am always pleased when I find a rifle that suits me for off hand shooting.~Andrew

Ā 

Hey now... :P

Back to the range tonight for a quick, down and dirty test at 100 yards. When the wind didn't eat my shot, I was putting Federal Ultra Match into minute of wiggle. I was shooting at 7X with only a front bag. My first group had 9 of ten in about MOA but I lost one to the wind pushing it out to 1.75 inches. My next group was bigger but the wind was picking up. I still managed to get four touching, the next closest round making .8" and the other five wind strung to 2.2 inches. The sun was down by the time I finished with the Ultra Match so I had to quit. ~Andrew

Archived