I'd use just two: 22LR and .308. I don't shoot hare (because I wouldn't even though I have them on my permission). Nothing really betters a 22LR for rabbits. If between 75 and 100 yds, part of the fun is getting closer. Some people prefer being "snipers" and cite long range rabbits need something like Hornet or .222. The answer is just get closer. It takes skill to stalk and is rewarding. Some prefer HMR. I'm not one of them. Ammo is cheap and the meat is never destroyed. .308 is my favourite CF calibre for everything else and versatile enough to deal with anything that we shoot in the UK. Ammo is easily sourced just about anywhere and it's respected on the hill for reds or in the forest for boar. I also shoot small deer with the .308 loaded heavy and slow. Minimal meat damage. The advantage of one rifle to do most things is it's one rifle/scope to get used to and it just feels intuitive knowing how it will perform given various different loads. Confidence inspiring.

If I could reload then 17 Remington, 6.5x47 and 7mm Rem mag would do everything for me. If I had to rely on factory ammo I would exchange for 222 or 223, a 6.5 x 55 and 308 or 30/06

Quite surprised to see the .22lr up there,I'd have thought most would have gone for the .17hmr.

I would go for the .17fireball as the starter with the .223 mid range and torn between a 7mm-08 or 7mm magnum as the big boy.

It would make sense to have a hmr in the cabinet but I don't do hardly any rabbiting.

S.S.

The reason is that the 22Lr is generally a reliable and accurate enough little calibre for 75 yd head/chest shots, cheap to shoot and lasts forever. The reason it's still popular is precisely because 17HMR seems to be less popular....too many experiences by too many people with variable ammo, split necks, squib rounds etc...pretty useless in wind and personally speaking, mine went because I was sick and tired of such variable factory ammo having to constantly needing to re-zero the thing. Once bitten...

If I had to have a replacement for a small cal that wasn't 22LR, it'd be .17 or .22 Hornet, or perhaps .22 WMR.

Archived