Moulded Ear Plugs

Scotch_egg

The good ones are made by a company called green leopard, Dave. They do a straightforward moulded one, and also one with valves. Not cheap, but the best. They are custom made from moulds of your "lugoyle" :)

there is also a company called emtech, who have venues around the country to do the fitting, infact I think they actually came to my house to do it.

Not as snazzy looking as the green leopard ones but comfortable and effective. I like them being flesh coloured as I often wear them to concerts these days :)

I have been using Proplugs both for diving and for shooting and find them to be excellent. They are low tech but are the ones used by a lot of top professional divers and in the music industry. They have gauges for most ear shapes and are worth a try. And just as some of the high tech kits out there, with these ones you can still hear what is going on around you.

You can buy them in most musical instruments stores. I think I paid about £15.00 for a pair a few years back and they are still going strong.

http://www.proplugs.com/musicandnoise.shtml

Regards,

George

you might also see a company or teo making them at one of the country shows around the country

Do a google for DIY custom earplugs -kits look to be about £15.

If you go for one, please let us know how you get on -I've been wondering about giving them a go!

I'll toss my 2p in here BD.

Taking your own ear impressions is a recipe for a poor fit and possibly even disaster.

To obtain a decent impression, you need a deeply seated dam and appropriate syringe and be able to see what you're doing. More importantly, you need to have done -many- of them. Ask any hearing aid manufacturer about the quality of your average newbie's ear impressions- they'll generally screw their face up :) I've had to retrain several offsiders to break the bad habits of their former employers.

You cannot get decent comfortable plugs that seal without a very good impression

Chris-NZ

I had some geen leopard plugs done at the CLA game fair 4-5yrs ago, the ones with the valve in and have used them eversince and have no problems with them. i personally find them far more comfortable than ear defenders and totaly effecive even when shoting my 300 winmag

I believe they were about £80 at that time and they took the mold at the gamefair and they arrive about a week later

you also have a choice of all sorts of colours and combinations of colours to add a little bit of induviduality

I chose bright orange as i tend to missplace things quite often!!! even more so these days

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Hey BD I aint gonna pass up on the chance of squirting Goo up yer lug 'ole. Get the kit and were good to go.

Did you never get told not to stuff things in your ears as a kid? :rolleyes:

Unless your hearing is gone already I would leave it to a pro - besides then you get the filter too, rather than just a bung to all outside noise. IMO given the amount we spend on rifles etc, it's worthwhile spending a reasonable amount of cash on saving our hearing too.

Good advice Oly.

"Is this a necked tortuous canal?"

If you can't answer this question definitively, don't take the impression.

That's only one possible source of disaster..

BTW, can you be sued in the UK for reckless or negligent behaviour that causes bodily injury?

ACC gives a fair bit of protection in NZ but there's a limit.

Chris-NZ

I'll toss my 2p in here BD.

Taking your own ear impressions is a recipe for a poor fit and possibly even disaster.

To obtain a decent impression, you need a deeply seated dam and appropriate syringe and be able to see what you're doing. More importantly, you need to have done -many- of them. Ask any hearing aid manufacturer about the quality of your average newbie's ear impressions- they'll generally screw their face up :o I've had to retrain several offsiders to break the bad habits of their former employers.

You cannot get decent comfortable plugs that seal without a very good impression

Chris-NZ

I'd firmly second this as I did buy a DIY kit as I wanted some for motorcycle use. The results are OK - ish but I wouldn't use them for shooting as they're not a particularly snug fit and so don't give you full protection. I have had some made by A1 Hearing who will mould them directly into your ears (in the English XX clubhouse at Bisley). These are MUCH better although I do find they get a bit uncomfortable with my electronic ear defenders (I think they make contact with the speakers) but are great with standard ones.

Cheers

JohnE

I have had a number of pairs over the years and one thing I did notice, your ear canal changes shape if you go for the proper cheek weld as compression in that region changes from when they squirt to Goo in when your in a relaxed state.

Another piece of advice, don't take your mate with you when you have it done, if they make you laugh it will change the shape... I know to my cost.

On a lighter note, is it just me or did anyone else find the whole thing a really nice feelin havin it done? In a kinda strange way? :rolleyes::blink::blink:

Archived