Who has CF for vermin....? ie rabbits ect

Barrelsniffer

Im interested in knowing if any chaps on here from esp cheshire have vermin on the licence for use with a CF rifle ie 222 upwards.

I know differing areas do and some dont...i can take my mates who DO have vermin ie rabbits ect under all there CF rifles..on my land and they can lawfully shoot any pest...but they are not from cheshire.

So looking to see if cheshire constabulary have allowed anyone from cheshire to use a CF for vermin.

Mick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently have .22/250, .222 and .22 Hornet for Foxes and Vermin, and have had .243 for these too. North Yorks Police.

Micky

Your constabulary should be moving to the phrase any lawful quarry. This means you can shoot anything with pretty much what you want. Obviously the law regarding deer applies but, if you want to hit a rabbit with 308 well you can. Hopefully they will adopt this soon. Already in place in thames valley.

Micky

Your constabulary should be moving to the phrase any lawful quarry. This means you can shoot anything with pretty much what you want. Obviously the law regarding deer applies but, if you want to hit a rabbit with 308 well you can. Hopefully they will adopt this soon. Already in place in thames valley.

Is this the phrase that is being recommended by ACPO ? I have an open cert but it's still conditioned, .308 deer, fox whilst deer stalking, 6mm deer and fox, no vermin on either, just on my rimfire. Would it now be appropriate for me to ask for this phrase on my cert ?

I'm in west yorks and can take vermin etc as a secondary condition providing the primary condition (fox, deer) remains. They basically said that in 3/4 of a page of A4 :blink:

So my 308 and 243 can lawfully shoot rabbits, however when a buddy found out he asked north yorks for the same even including my details as an example :angry: which I wasn't too happy about.

He got a firm NO to his request. He has an open ticket and does have good history so again, as luke skywalker or somebody said, "may the force be with you (, or more likely against you)" :lol:

Will double check mine when it gets back from the FLO.

Sure it says fox and vermin....................

That also includes people from cheshire................lol.................and mate, your from warrington....stop making youself sound posh.................

Will double check mine when it gets back from the FLO.

Sure it says fox and vermin....................

That also includes people from cheshire................lol.................and mate, your from warrington....stop making youself sound posh.................

The way it is i wish warrington wasnt in bloody cheshire...also BASC arent any great help are they ?..waste of my yearly money i think.

Mick

I do believe sir-slots-alot has 223 and 22-250 for vermin, he's from your county.

No doubt he will be along soon to confirm this.

Ian.

It's not on my cert either, issued by Cheshire. Would be interested to hear how you get on. I believe the lawful quarry is due to happen this year, wouldn't be suprised if they get a lot of requests for edits...or will it be a given that supercedes what is already written on our certs?

Anybody heard from sir slots alot yet?

Chaps.

I owned and ran a Pest control company for several years - which meant I had slightly more leniancy with FAC conditions.

Cheshire police policy is to allow only 22 Hornet and 17 Rem for vermin. :D

Untill very recently I owned a 22 hornet and currently own a 17 rem.

I have had several colourful disscussions with Cheshire firearms dept when I applied for the 22.250 .... but got nowhere.

BASC do not want to know this issue - I have spoken with Mike Eversley and several other BASC officials on this matter.

They offer empathy and nice cheap words, They say how ridiculas this situation is - and How unhelpful cheshire police are ,

but most importantly they will not get involved directly .. or even try .. No mediation on your behalf -- Sweet F. All .

I was discusted with how easily BASC rolled over - and this is BASC's home county.... Needless to say I will not be

renewing my membership.

I will be watching this thread to see how it develops , Maybe if enough of us can get together we can do something.

ATB

Alan

Hi Micky

I’m in the Met area and I have my 25.06 for ground game, vermin, foxes and deer,

It seems it’s dependent on the attitude of the chief officer of you’re area.

The FEO here are very helpful and reasonable in my experience, unlike some of the Home Counties forces.

Bob

Is it not possible for them to even put on vermin whilst out for fox? Same as they put on fox whilst out for deer?

Chaps.

I owned and ran a Pest control company for several years - which meant I had slightly more leniancy with FAC conditions.

I have had several colourful disscussions with Cheshire firearms dept when I applied for the 22.250 .... but got nowhere.

BASC do not want to know this issue - I have spoken with Mike Eversley and several other BASC officials on this matter.

They offer empathy and nice cheap words, They say how ridiculas this situation is - and How unhelpful cheshire police are ,

but most importantly they will not get involved directly .. or even try .. No mediation on your behalf -- Sweet F. All .

I was discusted with how easily BASC rolled over - and this is BASC's home county.... Needless to say I will not be

renewing my membership.

I will be watching this thread to see how it develops , Maybe if enough of us can get together we can do something.

ATB

Alan

Shooting magazine it. Then they can either lose members hand over fist or do something about it.

Hi there chaps,

a few years ago, when we were moving house, my wife was looking for houses that where in the Cheshire constabulary catchment area. I told her to forget it! Staffordshire and only Staffordshire, with regard to reasonable interpretation of shooting laws. That said, when I asked for a variation to include vermin for my 6mmBR, I was told that they do not do that, even though it is the guidance....Go figure!

my sympathies to the FAC holders in Cheshire though, it seems that they are governed by a different sort of administrative animal out there....

best wishes,

Finman

PS: ok BASC sucks, but what's the alternative???

: ok BASC sucks, but what's the alternative???

There are alternatives to BASC .. And BASC should remember that.

I will be interested to see if one of the other shooting associations , take on this farsical situation that allows other people to come onto my shoot - and use a 22.250 and larger for vermin control. .... And makes it illegal for myself and others who live in Cheshire to use 22 CF on their own shoot.. :D

Its a joke.

If BASC had fought tooth and nail for consistancy and fairness , and lost the fight -- then I would be first to defend them and conceed they have done all they can.

Unfortunately this isn't the case , BASC - didn't lose the fight -- they didn't even turn up for it.

After numerous calls to BASC , they still haven't lifted a finger to assist - in fact my last and final call to Mike Eversley ( BASC legal ) - I thought I was speaking to a fully paid up member of Cheshire firearms Police.

He made it crystal clear , other than giving nice cheap advise . BASC were not going to involve themselves.

This is not sour grape on my behalf BTW .............. if BASC WONT assist when fundermental and clear inconsistancies in firearms law , are occuring right in their own county ..... What fekking use are they -- and how hard will they fight for you... :D

Good luck to Micky and the rest of the Cheshire shooters.

ATB

Alan

I will just repeat myself, all constabulary's in the country are adopting the phrase any lawful quarry for firearms, this makes it easier for them as they dont have to keep giving us variations for additional animals. This allows you to shoot what you want with what ever you want. The deer & Boar legal bit obviously applies, but this is going to be nationwide. I suggest you take that up with Cheshire, ACPO have agreed this phrase, I already have it on my ticket in Thames Valley and I believe Northamptonshire are doing it I am sure Vermincinerator will know its his force. If you dont currently you will have it put on there either when you renew or ask for a variation or just ask for it to be put on. All you need is precedent, once it is done some where it sets precendent.

Chaps.

renewing my membership.

ATB

Alan

Agree with you there alan.below is my reply from BASC..sent a few days ago..voice of shooting my ass. oh also had a good few email chats with Mike Eveleigh from BASC and like you say alan...not a lot they can do..and also told that if WE get enough shooters in cheshire behind then may be WE can do something. below is letter from BASC.

Dear Mr Finn, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done until the law is changed to allow an appeals procedure to challenge such stupid conditions. Cheshire are the most draconian force in the UK next to Sussex police and unless the complaints system is sympathetic to your argument, the police won’t budge.

I cannot advise anything else other than to complain. The more that do, the more they will change.

Best wishes

MATT PERRING

That says it all...but will when home send cheshire a letter with copies of my army quals on firearms.

but then i aint building my hopes up.

Mick

Agree with you there alan.below is my reply from BASC..sent a few days ago..voice of shooting my ass.

Dear Mr Finn, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done until the law is changed to allow an appeals procedure to challenge such stupid conditions. Cheshire are the most draconian force in the UK next to Sussex police and unless the complaints system is sympathetic to your argument, the police won’t budge.

I cannot advise anything else other than to complain. The more that do, the more they will change.

Best wishes

MATT PERRING

That says it all...but will when home send cheshire a letter with copies of my army quals on firearms.

but then i aint bilding my hopes up.

Mick

Micky

Snap - I have one exactly the same , As I suspect many other Cheshire shooters also do.

BASC are suppost to be there to represent their members and to fight stupid , non-sensical rules , using there supposed clout

and resourses , which are paid for by their members ( ME and YOU ).

All BASC did - was to advse me to write a letter of complaint - but then refused to take up the battle with the police directly.

Not even a phone call or letter will they write on your behalf.

BASC the Voice of shooting ....... Their voice is silent when you need them.

Alan

All BASC did - was to advse me to write a letter of complaint - but then refused to take up the battle with the police directly.

Thats exactly what they aslo said to me..also saying that they know of 2 guys who did complain..and after a while did get what they want..what that was they didnt say.

But apparently as NOT many guys do complain in cheshire, cheshire FLO think they are doing such a good job ? as no one complains so BASC said to me also.

Mick

Mick.

Basc are the ones who should be doing the complaining and taking the fight to the police on our behalf.

I thought representing us , was what we paid membership for.

NO wait , it must be for that self publicizing magazine that keeps my bin company every few months.

ATB

Alan

Archived