Who has CF for vermin....? ie rabbits ect

Barrelsniffer

Mick.

Basc are the ones who should be doing the complaining and taking the fight to the police on our behalf.

I thought representing us , was what we paid membership for.

NO wait , it must be for that self publicizing magazine that keeps my bin company every few months.

ATB

Alan

Yep im also NOW one of the many who are gonna switch ive heard SACS are meant to be pretty good.? so may join them see if they can help.

Mick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you dont currently you will have it put on there either when you renew or ask for a variation or just ask for it to be put on.

My renewal was this month, still nothing. I was advised that that as it wasn't in their standard para's issued by the home office then they can't put it on.

The Boar Legal bit, this is from memory so it may need correcting. Home office guidance said we may now shoot boar in this country with the land owners permission, the minimum recommended calibre is 270 with a 150 grain bullet. I dont believe there are any seasons in this country at present but that could have changed. But bare in mind that the piglets are dependent on there mother for the 1st year. Yearlings and males can be shot any time. The calibre is a little bit light in my opinion for boar, this might cause a bit of trouble, but if you want to do it get 7mm upwards. Big and slow is best with these guys or so I am told.

I believe about 2 years ago a gold medal boar was shot in the UK. From memory he was a rather large beast.

If you have the any legal quarry phrase on your ticket and you have a calibre over the minimum and land owners permission you may harvest boar and for that matter wild goat.

Oly sorry to hear that we have had it in my neck of the woods for a while now. I just cant believe that police cant do a national roll out on something that makes there lives easier. After all ACPO have agreed to this. Mind you after reading that other post about the pepper spray I could beleive just about anything with them. Ridiculous.

I will just repeat myself, all constabulary's in the country are adopting the phrase any lawful quarry for firearms, this makes it easier for them as they dont have to keep giving us variations for additional animals. This allows you to shoot what you want with what ever you want. The deer & Boar legal bit obviously applies, but this is going to be nationwide. I suggest you take that up with Cheshire, ACPO have agreed this phrase, I already have it on my ticket in Thames Valley and I believe Northamptonshire are doing it I am sure Vermincinerator will know its his force. If you dont currently you will have it put on there either when you renew or ask for a variation or just ask for it to be put on. All you need is precedent, once it is done some where it sets precendent.

Maybe you should speak to the forces that don't apply this condition as they don't seem to listen me or others.

BASC don't even want to try in case they lose, then they can't say they have never lost a fight.

My force area's reply to me was "we do not apply this condition becouse we don't like it". This along with anything else they don't like. As far as they are concerned the guidance is just that, until you want something it advises against, then it is law. When i spoke to the firearms manager and explained this he thought it funny and agreed that this is the way it worked.

I have written to them for an official explanation and am awaiting a reply before proceeding.

Yep im also NOW one of the many who are gonna switch ive heard SACS are meant to be pretty good.? so may join them see if they can help.

Mick

There are no legal appeals against conditions on your FAC.

You can refuse to sign it and return it to them and argue the point, if you sign it you subscribe to the conditions.

I read about one man on pigeon watch who felt let down by the poor legal advice offered by SACS you can find it with a search. A female barrister with little firearms knowledge AIUI.

SACS will only take on cases they believe they can win, they will lose money otherwise.

Uphill struggle Lads.

The chief of police in your area, has the power to point blank refuse anything you ask for, whether its law or not. He only has to state that it would "endanger the public" and there isn,t a court in the land that wouldn,t back him.

Instead of sending in, or not even bothering to renew your BASC membership...actually take the time, and send them a letter saying WHY you are not renewing....then send the same letter to all the shooting mags. Just watch how fast they jump with a little negative publicity.

BASC are in bed with all the politicians. They do more harm than good.

A female barrister with little firearms knowledge AIUI.

SACS will only take on cases they believe they can win, they will lose money otherwise.

I think you'll find that unless you have pots of money to waste, which most charities (and even private and public bodies - leaving basically mega rich bugg@rs!!) don't, most lawyers would take the same approach.

In the 1997 firearms ammendment act Cheif constables were given the power to add any conditions to a FAC as they deem fit without the right to appeal and i am afraid you cant do anything about it whether you are BASC SASC or whoever.

If your Cheif constable sees it fit to add a condition that you have to wear one red sock and one green sock when out shooting, then thats what you have to do, failure to do so will infringe the conditions imposed on your FAC and lead to revokation, so i am with BASC on this one.

I sympathise with both Micky's and Alans plight and can only suggest that both of them write direct to the cheif constable stating the facts and pointing out the innadequacies of their licensing policy to appeal to his common sense side, you might just convince him.

Ian.

In the 1997 firearms ammendment act Cheif constables were given the power to add any conditions to a FAC as they deem fit without the right to appeal and i am afraid you cant do anything about it whether you are BASC SASC or whoever.

If your Cheif constable sees it fit to add a condition that you have to wear one red sock and one green sock when out shooting, then thats what you have to do, failure to do so will infringe the conditions imposed on your FAC and lead to revokation, so i am with BASC on this one.

I sympathise with both Micky's and Alans plight and can only suggest that both of them write direct to the cheif constable stating the facts and pointing out the innadequacies of their licensing policy to appeal to his common sense side, you might just convince him.

Ian.

Hi ian yes i understand we can not appeal and what the Cheif con says goes..but this isnt just with me and alan its the whole of cheshire,who shoot.

Mick

Mickey

I know its a long shot and a bit of hard work, but you could try getting some support from other shooters in your area. Try presenting the case that others have these conditions in locations around the country and that it is acpo guidance. You can but try get enough shooters onboard and you never know your luck. Good luck mate with this one.

Mickey

I know its a long shot and a bit of hard work, but you could try getting some support from other shooters in your area. Try presenting the case that others have these conditions in locations around the country and that it is acpo guidance. You can but try get enough shooters onboard and you never know your luck. Good luck mate with this one.

We think alike mate thats exactly why i put the posts on here and the other forums im on..looking for guys from cheshire to pop up..but so far only a few lads who i already knew.but no one else so its a dissapointing response from chaps in cheshire.

you would of thought most guys would be comlaining about it but seems like most dont want to ruffle the feathers at cheshire FLO.

Mick

Micky

People are worried about what the reprecussions could be I am afraid. Not many know that the new acpo guidance stated that any lawful quarry is to be added to our tickets. I hoep you can get some more support in your area and perhaps get them to see sense. Can you lay your hands on a copy of the ACPO guidance I believe it is in the public domain? This may help. The law is very heavily weighted towards the police in this domain, I reminded of Russia after Stalin to charge or Germany when Hitler got in, disarm the population so there is no way they can resist. Common sense does not previal unfortunately. Good luck Micky, any help I can be please feel free to ask. Having just had a quick scan on the internet I think you may be in a bit of luck this year. The reason why a number of forces are not using any lawful quarry line is because it is still only acpo guidance. This means they simply ignore it infavour of home office guidance which gives calibre specifics. However the line any lawful quarry is due to be written into home office guidance this year. Just keep checking once it is in that peice of writing they can no longer ignore it.

Micky

People are worried about what the reprecussions could be I am afraid. Not many know that the new acpo guidance stated that any lawful quarry is to be added to our tickets. I hoep you can get some more support in your area and perhaps get them to see sense. Can you lay your hands on a copy of the ACPO guidance I believe it is in the public domain? This may help. The law is very heavily weighted towards the police in this domain, I reminded of Russia after Stalin to charge or Germany when Hitler got in, disarm the population so there is no way they can resist. Common sense does not previal unfortunately. Good luck Micky, any help I can be please feel free to ask. Having just had a quick scan on the internet I think you may be in a bit of luck this year. The reason why a number of forces are not using any lawful quarry line is because it is still only acpo guidance. This means they simply ignore it infavour of home office guidance which gives calibre specifics. However the line any lawful quarry is due to be written into home office guidance this year. Just keep checking once it is in that peice of writing they can no longer ignore it.

Cheers bud yes have the copy of the said acpo guidelines from BASC which have the lawful quarry on it..where did you hear maybe this yr ?

Mick

Well i am amazed how poor the BASC have dealt with both yourself & sir-slots alot, i am from south wales and applied for my fac there, they tried to make me jump through a few hoops but i stood my ground and got what i needed apart from a sound moderator for my .270 as they said it wouldnt do anything!!!!!!

Then i moved to Scotland and dealt with west lothian police........what a difference, they came out and had a chat with me, then when my ticket came back they had put down the mod for the .270, and i didn't even mention it, i also enquired about shooting foxes and feral goat with the .270 and the reply was "you can lawfully shoot any legal quarry with that calibre as you have been cleared for Deer and anything smaller, so if you want to shoot rabbits with your.270 you can, may prove to an expensive way of controlling them!"

Then after a few years i moved back to south wales and theytried it on again, but i stood my ground and got in touch with Matt Perring, and he was very helpful, after a few letters to Gwent Police and saying that i would take the matter up with the BASC, i can shoot Fox & Deer with the .270, and they also said i could shoot other vermin because what are the chances of anyone checking on me!!!!! I wasn't happy about that but got what i wanted for now.

Now the guidance for any lawful quarry came about last june, so stick with it.

The guidance is there for both sides to adhere too and not just us

Micky

I read it on the internet, I had me FEO over tonight to discuss a couple of variations which are going through. He said that the Nome office Guidelines are currently being re-written but could not say when they would be published. I believe I picked up the other bit of info off the stalking directory. I will see if I can get a more definitive answer for you. Then you will be able to sort out this mess that the cheshire constabulary have created. Sorry I cant be more definitive than that.

Micky

I read it on the internet, I had me FEO over tonight to discuss a couple of variations which are going through. He said that the Nome office Guidelines are currently being re-written but could not say when they would be published. I believe I picked up the other bit of info off the stalking directory. I will see if I can get a more definitive answer for you. Then you will be able to sort out this mess that the cheshire constabulary have created. Sorry I cant be more definitive than that.

Cheers bud and thanks to all the other replies ive recieved.

Mick

i have fox and vermin on my .204 mind you im down as pest control part time for some body else ,i asked for my 25-06 for fox they said no only if out deer starking can i shoot fox ...use the NGO http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/ i will never use BASC again all they want is your money ..

i have fox and vermin on my .204 mind you im down as pest control part time for some body else ,i asked for my 25-06 for fox they said no only if out deer starking can i shoot fox ...use the NGO http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/ i will never use BASC again all they want is your money ..

Hi Rob yeh my BASC runs out at end of the month but have now joied NGO Ref the pest control part is ths what you said to your FLO ?

Mick

i have fox and Munjack with my 222.i have just put in for Variation and put vermin down aswell this time

Archived