F/TR Varmint/Heavy Sporter/Tactical Discipline?

brown dog

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus the fact there needs to be some one to run it. That takes a lot of time and comitment.

And a qualified range officer or two. I'll certainly help so long as I get to shoot too. :D

How does one book an event like this at Bisley? Because Bisley is military, range

bookings involving non NRA members need to be made through an NRA insured and

HO approved club and every shooter must have a current range safety certificate.

Is anyone here up to speed with the details of setting up an event like this?

I am used to booking ranges for a regular group but we are all NRA members, it does get

complicated when non members want to shoot, bookings need to be made through clubs or BASC.

Rup

I have a current range safety cert and i'm an nra rco. I'm more than happy to officiate and compete..

We must also bare in mind that all competitors who wish to shoot at Bisley must also have range safety certs.

That may be a problem for those who only field shoot and don't belong to a rifle club...

This sounds like a great idea.

My favourite comp is the Diggle Egg shoot. No sighters, no flags (except the safety flag, not that this really helps at Diggle!) just 9 shots for score and then one at an egg.

Its not very often that the benchrest/f-class type rifles win this but a few additional rules like:

Only what you can carry in one trip (without a trolley!);

Magazine/repeating (ie not solid floor) rifles;

More points for first shot hits;

Standing, kneeling or sitting positions in the COF;

Would really make a good competition. Maybe a factory action only class which would allow changes of stocks and re-barrelling.

Magazine/repeating (ie not solid floor) rifles;

Hey Rich, I like the idea of banning single shot actions, that would remove all the target rifles in one easy move.

I had been leaning towards a Musgrave target action for my 6.5x47 project but your suggestion has me thinking of a mag feed now. It would make sense to have a more tactical setup rather than another all out target rig. Might have to add the 700 to my list.

Rup

Matty,

Maybe so but the number of ranges that shoot F-class are also limited. Anywhere that had the facilities to shoot f-class should be able to also run the types of comps described in this thread.

Sorry, I didn't make my ponit very clearly either.

The idea of the comps as far as I understand it is to make it more affordable to participate by not having to buy expensive f-class rigs (besides the fact that they also sound more interesting to me anyway)to be competitive.

Any range that can run f-class shoots should be able to run these style comps too and since f-class already has a good following then by reducing the indirect entry costs more people may be interested in entering.

Most centrefire rifles will shoot out to 600yds (the only exceptions possibly being the .17s and hornet) so even hunting/varmint rifles should be competitive.

Theres no reason why the comps could not be run at shorter ranges if you don't have 600yd+ facilities. If however you want to run a national comp as with F-class then the COF would have to be kept standard. So if 600yds is to be in the COF then to enter a national league a 600ys range would be required.

Then again I think were jumping the gun a bit here (no pun intended). Lets see if it is even possible first. When all is said and done Bisley may still object to the chosen COF.

c18arch,

We have come up against the problem on our local (600 yard) military range that the normal F-Class cartridges i.e. 7mm WSM'ish, cannot be used at all which has buggered a few shooters. Combination of safery area plus distance of the taget 'pits' and the front of the backstop :mad:

Brgds Terry

Rifle value would be difficult to prove without bringing all your receipts to the comps and I don't think you would be very popular if you asked people to do so. Even then you will get someone who can get stuff cheaper such as RFDs who get trade discount or if someone bought a rifle from the USA etc.

Rifle value would be difficult to prove without bringing all your receipts to the comps and I don't think you would be very popular if you asked people to do so. Even then you will get someone who can get stuff cheaper such as RFDs who get trade discount or if someone bought a rifle from the USA etc.

tru

u would also rule out anything custom/semi custom altho not a bad thing i spose if trying to keep money a non isue!(within reason)

based on UK retail new prices it would work quite well as you would quickley know wht was the uper limit & wht was pushing it if a sensible limit was set!

cheers Andy

You also need to consider second hand rifle value like my TRG. This may rule me out.

On the other hand limitations of barrel length and powder weight would help put the honus on the shooter.

Dificult to suit everyone i guess like u say trg UI/ AI/ balzers ect ect are full custom rifle moneys!

where as a "mag fed only" rules out a £200-300 parkerhale/musgrave single shot & a cheap easy way to get setup!

cheers Andy

Better to start with the idea of of making the event as inclusive as possible. The COF itself without the need for additional equipment rules or imposed price limits can level the playing field.......anyone fancy doing a 10 round 300 yard standing stage with a 30 inch barreled 18 pound rifle (hint F Class gucci kit is not zour friend for that).

David.

Better to start with the idea of of making the event as inclusive as possible. The COF itself without the need for additional equipment rules or imposed price limits can level the playing field.......anyone fancy doing a 10 round 300 yard standing stage with a 30 inch barreled 18 pound rifle (hint F Class gucci kit is not zour friend for that).

100% agree :)

David.

Absolutely. Well put.

• 4 weeks later...

DS1 has hit the nail on the head.

Quite simple. Make the COF multi positional just like practical rifle. It will instantly rule out the giant guns. It will also make it completely about the skill of the shooter, not the size of his wallet. A COF like this is shootable with a rem 700 with aics mag and scope [ just an example ] you go much heavier and it becomes impossible....i know, i,ve done it at PR.

Archived