Duracoat Review

Kaleiderscope

DURACOAT sounds great and what i needed last week when i stalked a buck, i was all dressed in realtree but my sako 85 SS stood out like a sore thumb.

this may sound like a stupid question is the coating permanant or can it be removed at a later stage??......neil

Duarcoat is permanant as can be, but if you wanted to remove it the original surface wouldnt be the same but another colour/pattern can be put back on.

To remove it you need to grit blast it which is very messy and needs care in doing so.

Hope this helps but PM me if you want any other info. :P

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to let eveyone know we now have DIY kits available for sale.

These kits will give you all you need to finish your rifle yourself.

Single Colour kits include:

Airbrush and Glass bottles

Hose

Propellant

Duracoat

Hardener

Degreaser

Thinners

Scotch bright pad

Instructions and DVD

Camo Kits include:

Hose

Propellant

Duracoat colours

Pattern Template

Hardener

Degreaser

Thinners

Scotch bright pad

Instructions and DVD

Prices for kits are £95 for single colour and £145 for camo kits, there is enough Duracoat to coat 2 rifles in these kits.

Prices inclusive of vat + postage

Anyone wanting more info please ask. ;)

Just out of interest kal,

say you'd bought a kit and wanted to change colour or do some other rifle how much are the paint refills?

Is there anything else you would need to add to an existing kit later to be used again?

Just out of interest kal,

say you'd bought a kit and wanted to change colour or do some other rifle how much are the paint refills?

Is there anything else you would need to add to an existing kit later to be used again?

All you would need is the Duracoat, hardener, degreaser and thinners (If you have run out) to complete another job.

Prices on additional refills TBC at the moment. The kits take a while to mix and build as it is and further orders will be about a week from order to delivery.

The Airbrush can be used again and if your careful the template can be used several times.

Just to let eveyone know we now have DIY kits available for sale.

These kits will give you all you need to finish your rifle yourself.

Single Colour kits include:

Hose

Propellant

Duracoat

Hardener

Degreaser

Thinners

Scotch bright pad

Instructions and DVD

Camo Kits include:

Hose

Propellant

Duracoat colours

Pattern Template

Hardener

Degreaser

Thinners

Scotch bright pad

Instructions and DVD

Prices for kits are £95 for single colour and £145 for camo kits, there is enough Duracoat to coat 2 rifles in these kits.

Prices inclusive of vat + postage

Anyone wanting more info please ask. :)

WOAH!!!!

How can you justify a 300% price hike to what these kits retail for at Lauer or Brownells.

I understand that there duties, taxes and shipping to be costed but thats taking the pi$$ mate.

Ian.

WOAH!!!!

How can you justify a 300% price hike to what these kits retail for at Lauer or Brownells.

I understand that there duties, taxes and shipping to be costed but thats taking the pi$$ mate.

Ian.

Thanks for those kind words Ian, guess you wont be buying one.

Taking the Pi$$ is it, ok work the numbers Ian, 300%? You answered the question yourself already, shipping, duty taxes, time and outlay.

Oh and whilst your at it, can you justify the cost of a rifle build...?

What is it with this, oh it cost this in $ so it should be near half that in £, if only it really did work like that. Im surprised this is coming from Ian, thought you would know better.

Whilst im at it might as well add, if you had spent the amount I have on this business would you not be looking make a profit? And before you say it, im not making a fortune out of it either.

Thanks for those kind words Ian, guess you wont be buying one.

Taking the Pi$$ is it, ok work the numbers Ian, 300%? You answered the question yourself already, shipping, duty taxes, time and outlay.

Oh and whilst your at it, can you justify the cost of a rifle build...?

What is it with this, oh it cost this in $ so it should be near half that in £, if only it really did work like that. Im surprised this is coming from Ian, thought you would know better.

Whilst im at it might as well add, if you had spent the amount I have on this business would you not be looking make a profit? And before you say it, im not making a fortune out of it either.

Hi Kal,

You are correct, too many people think oh $100 thats £50! The fact that when you actually buy from the states now you will be lucky to actually get around $1.93 ACTUAL exchange rate , then you have shipping which on many things now have a $1.20/kg fuel surcharge and that doesn't include HAZMAT shipping then you have advertising etc. The actual net margin is not huge compared to many other products / businesses .

Hi Kal,

You are correct, too many people think oh $100 thats £50! The fact that when you actually buy from the states now you will be lucky to actually get around $1.93 ACTUAL exchange rate , then you have shipping which on many things now have a $1.20/kg fuel surcharge and that doesn't include HAZMAT shipping then you have advertising etc. The actual net margin is not huge compared to many other products / businesses .

Thanks Shooting Bags.

I wouldnt mind if this was a Mickey Mouse outfit, its not, we have fully equiped workshop from top to toe. The fact is as you have said the shipping of HAZMAT goods is astronomical this now coupled with fuel surcharges and one off shipping charges has made things very expensive.

Not only that that Brownells wont ship Duracoat out of the USA, Lauer dont want to either and their one off handling charges for 4oz of Duracoat is about £60 so ive no choice but to use a freight fowarder, which COSTS MONEY!!!

So take all this into account Ian and you will soon see what the margin is for the outlay...buttons! 300% mark up, oh how I wish.

Come on guys James works dam hard to give us a bit of pleasure.

Why are we bashing each other so hard in this country I really dont understand the mentality.

So he makes profit from his business what is wrong with that?

James just to give an update

the Sako TRG in 6.5 x 47 Lapua you painted is still in pristine condition after 03 foxing outing in the rain. Have knocked it a few times and coating is still in tact. All and all very good I would say so.

Come on guys give credit where credit is due.

Londonhunter

Come on guys James works dam hard to give us a bit of pleasure.

Why are we bashing each other so hard in this country I really dont understand the mentality.

So he makes profit from his business what is wrong with that?

James just to give an update

the Sako TRG in 6.5 x 47 Lapua you painted is still in pristine condition after 03 foxing outing in the rain. Have knocked it a few times and coating is still in tact. All and all very good I would say so.

Come on guys give credit where credit is due.

Londonhunter

+ 1 what LH says, and I would have another one done in the future.

ATB

Thanks guys, im glad you are able to see the wood for the trees.

It really gauls me when people think youre out to rip them off, yes im in business to make money but im also offering a top notch product and service at a reasonable price.

If you dont like my prices then dont have the work done, try and source it elsewhere.

But this in mind, if anyone buys Duracoat or has the work done from overseas and it goes South, you have to send back to where it came from. If its goes South and you got it from me I will only be to happy to help you out and im at the end of a phone...food for thought.

I had a small bottle of paint sent over from the states recently.

UPS was the only one who took it. Transport was over $140 !! wow

Kal maybe once the orders go up you might find a slower cheaper

transport. until then its suffer

edi

FORMAL COMPLAINT

I would like to complain about

Edgar Brothers

GMK

RAUG

All the directors are driving nice cars and having nice holdiays on the back of our hard earned cash what are we brits going to do about this. According to some this is totally unacceptable behaviour.

We are reliably informed that we can get cirtually everything cheaper abroad so why should we buy from those companies.

Come on lads lets protest and boycott all of them who is going to cast the first stone...................

GMK, EDGAR and RUAG

I had a small bottle of paint sent over from the states recently.

UPS was the only one who took it. Transport was over $140 !! wow

Kal maybe once the orders go up you might find a slower cheaper

transport. until then its suffer

edi

Thanks Edi.

This sh*t is so damn expensive you wouldnt believe it, ive got nothing to hide (Unlike some) my pricing is based on outlay, running costs and time. Its simple math to work out what its all about.

I have a freight forwarder whos looking into my shipping for me as we speak but its not going to save me a lot but it will hopefully make the whole process more streamlined.

When ordering anything from the US I basically assume the dollar equates to the pound by the time it gets to my door, it's normally slightly under, just.

So Brownell's want $95 for a full kit? and James charges £95, seems about right to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not getting dragged into the price issue other than to say that I know how expensive carriage can be especially as you usually have to pay two lots, the second lot from point of UK entry to UK address. Dont also forget Import Duty and VAT !.

I have just sold out of the wholesale truck parts buisness, having been in buisenss myself for over 20 years and for another 20 'learning' ie, working for someone else. I can advise that unless you are charging total cost plus 33% you will be unlikely to be covering your overheads unless you are trading from home. It is in you and me (the consumers) best interests that the retailer makes a fair margin to cover his overheads, pay him a fair wage and leave some capital for future investment in stock/services etc. Those that do not do that are here today and gone tomorrow and any warrenty they have given you goes out of the window with their business failure.

A

Another aspect of a paint.

How grippy is it when wet??

I've just painted a few stocks with the duracoat tactical colour range and

was astonished how much grip one has especially when wet.

After butt pad assembly I washed the stocks with fairy and even

with a bit of soap the grip was very good, much better than expected.

edi

• 2 months later...

Thats nice shagger .Its also quite obvious you,ve used a proper stencil mask system...and not lumps of masking tape like some cheap jobs i,ve seen of late. Folk always think cheap is best....quality always is, and always will be...quality.

Is the pink....your soft southern shite feminine side ? :unsure:

Howa 1500 300wsm Tactical in custom Woodland DPM.

Howa1500300WSMWoodDPM.jpg

300wsmWoodDPM.jpg

Another high quality Duracoated rifle from Jager Sporting Arms.

looks nice mate

what sort of money for a paint finish on a rifle exactly like that one?

Nice job matey, looks a tad better than the sandy cammo it was previously.

:unsure:

Archived