Duracoat Review

Hi Chaps

I got the rifle back form being Dura-coated this weekend, so me and my mate went up to our forest Block to see if we could bag a Red stag as he wanted one or two for meat. I have had my new A-Tec moderator fitted also.

I ask if the Dura-coat could be applied to the barrel action to match the B&C stock, this has a Forest green with black spiders web finish. The finish colouring on the barrelled action is not a million miles away from the colour scheme of the stock.

I had the magazine spring, well, floor plate and scope mounts dura-coated as well just to prevent them from going rusty.

I have only used it on one trip so a bit early to see how well it will wear but I did manage to cull one stag on this trip, I have got a few more trips on the reds planned before the end of the season so time will tell how it stands up. But if the reports from the states are anything to go by and it will stand the abuse the US squaddy can give to their 50cal Barrets in Iraq, then It will stand up to me bashing a few reds with it.

PIC00355.jpg

PIC00356.jpg

PIC00358.jpg

All the best.

B-b

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Chaps

I got the rifle back form being Dura-coated this weekend, so me and my mate went up to our forest Block to see if we could bag a Red stag as he wanted one or two for meat. I have had my new A-Tec moderator fitted also.

I ask if the Dura-coat could be applied to the barrel action to match the B&C stock, this has a Forest green with black spiders web finish. The finish colouring on the barrelled action is not a million miles away from the colour scheme of the stock.

I had the magazine spring, well, floor plate and scope mounts dura-coated as well just to prevent them from going rusty.

I have only used it on one trip so a bit early to see how well it will wear but I did manage to cull one stag on this trip, I have got a few more trips on the reds planned before the end of the season so time will tell how it stands up. But if the reports from the states are anything to go by and it will stand the abuse the US squaddy can give to their 50cal Barrets in Iraq, then It will stand up to me bashing a few reds with it.

PIC00355.jpg

PIC00356.jpg

PIC00358.jpg

All the best.

B-b

sorry BB

you will have to re post that last pick, i can not see anything in it, just grass and a hat rack:lol: :):P

is the scope just got cammo tape on it or has kal done that as well???

ATB

Colin :)

Col

The scope is taped at the moment :P until I get my hands on it! :)

The floorplate needs a different colour I think, but you just cant tell some folk. :)

The colours Tiger Stripe Green and Voltar Black fleck and a matte clear coat, looks nice, if I say so myself. :)

Kal

Col

The scope is taped at the moment :P until I get my hands on it! :)

The floorplate needs a different colour I think, but you just cant tell some folk. :)

The colours Tiger Stripe Green and Voltar Black fleck and a matte clear coat, looks nice, if I say so myself. ;)

Kal

hi kal

i think you need to give that A-TEC a once over,purely for the total overhaul look.

ATB

Colin :)

is the scope just got cammo tape on it or has kal done that as well???

ATB

Colin ;)

Hi Col

The scope is covered with Some stuff called “camo snake skin” you cut it to size then wrap it round the scope/rifle/moddy ect apply heat with a hair drier then shrinks to the size of the item you put it round.

I find that with me scopes with large objective lens take a battering, especially when crawling in grass ect and you are laying the rifle on the floor in front of you. I suppose that I should take more care, but when the deer stalk is on I tend to get focused on just that.

Best Rgds

B-b

Pachmayer are selling a kit called Pac-Skin. It is a precut, pre shaped, rubberized gripping surface that will fit the contours of most stocks for Grip and Fore-end.

It seems to afford more grip than checkering and at the same time is suitable for all uncheckered stocks as well as looking rather 'professional'.

Would this Pac-Skin product be suitable for use on Laminate stocks ?

Thats on the list too be done Col. ;)

Kal

it will finish of the rifle/combo nicely.

now about that cammo tape BB

I'm sure when the mod goes in to kal,the scope would benefit from a bit of tinkering,

that tape is just tacky :P:P;)

ATB

Colin ;)

Quite a few applications listed as well as rifles - what a good idea.

I am surprised at the low cost - £5 for stock and f/end seems very inexpensive. I think I will buy direct from the US as at that price it will be below Custome threshold for charging.

Edgars have them all in stock!

About £8-00 for the precut panels and about £10-00 for the large uncut sheet. ;)

I shall order from them as we have to support the UK dealers network when ever we can. IMO

I purchased some Pac-skin a few years ago, I had the idea of copying the Sako style for-end and pistol grip on a McMillan stock, unfortunately there wasn't enough fiberglass on the stock to allow it to be removed so that the Pac-skin would sit flush on the stock.

It's a good product and feels really good, but it will protrude 1.5 mm, I have a spare square sheet if anyone's interested.

Ian

I purchased some Pac-skin a few years ago, I had the idea of copying the Sako style for-end and pistol grip on a McMillan stock, unfortunately there wasn't enough fiberglass on the stock to allow it to be removed so that the Pac-skin would sit flush on the stock.

It's a good product and feels really good, but it will protrude 1.5 mm, I have a spare square sheet if anyone's interested.

Ian

PM me please

i could be interested,

ATB

Colin

PM me please

i could be interested,

TAB

Colin

Sorry Colin, Hoot beat you too it.

However I do have have two sheets, I'd be more than happy to send you one for you to look at,on the proviso that you send it back.

It's been kicking around in my storage space for a few years now, but you know how it goes as soon as you get rid of it, the next day you find a use for it.

Ian

Sorry Colin, Hoot beat you too it.

However I do have have two sheets, I'd be more than happy to send you one for you to look at,on the proviso that you send it back.

It's been kicking around in my storage space for a few years now, but you know how it goes as soon as you get rid of it, the next day you find a use for it.

Ian

no problem -

ATB

Colin

Heres the latest creation from the Kaleiderscope school of duracoat

IMG_0145.jpg

The stock was originally in black

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

I`m particularly impressed how the coatings taken on the stippled areas (sorry for the crap last photo)

Tim,

That looks excellent . Hat's off to James he looks to have done a really good job.

I am however confused ! I thought you were having your tiger stripes done in red and white :rolleyes:

No you`re confused I asked James for a price to do the front of my house in red & white :D:D

And if the terrier sits still long enough she`s getting a coating as well :D:D

WSM

As long as you like it that is all that matters :D

It is just not my cup of tea.

ATB

Hoot :rolleyes:

Hoot

Im confused, you say you dont like some of the patterns on the rifles the Tiger stripe included, we all know this now, however, you still want to post the fact you dont like it and that as long as the person whose rifle it is likes it thats ok?

Just seems odd to me that you take the time out of your daily life to let us know you dislike it, when we all know that from previous posts.

Well it does seem to be very popular at the mo so I wont discontinue it just yet. :D

Thanks for the coments guys glad you like it.

By the way WSM the Flectarn is just starting to come too life, thank god!

Kal

Hoot

So I can safely say that you won`t be much for my Flecktarn SSG tactical stock when it rolls off the production line then :rolleyes::D

With out actually seeing it I'd have to judge it on the stuff that I have seen else where.

On that basis the answer would have to be no.

I think is a lot like peoples choice of ties, or their choice of kit bag that they use when down at the rugby club or gym.

Some ties look very stylish and compliment the shirt and suit of the wearer. Some just look shyte.

Some guys feel that they have to have the latest brand name and the biggest most glareish bag available, where others are happy with the standard Addids or Nike. or just a plain black holdall.

Like you said "its a good job we`re all different now isn`t it".

Hope its is all that you want when you get it.

Hoot

Hoot

Im confused, you say you dont like some of the patterns on the rifles the Tiger stripe included, we all know this now, however, you still want to post the fact you dont like it and that as long as the person whose rifle it is likes it thats ok?

Just seems odd to me that you take the time out of your daily life to let us know you dislike it, when we all know that from previous posts.

Well it does seem to be very popular at the mo so I wont discontinue it just yet. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the coments guys glad you like it.

By the way WSM the Flectarn is just starting to come too life, thank god!

Kal

Hi James

So its ok to say you like it, even if you have said you like that sort of thing before, but its not ok to say you don't, if you have said your not a fan before.

I can't quite follow the logic in that. But hell at least some folks like it eh!

Good luck with the new business.

Personal opinions on colour schemes aside :)

I happened to be with a chap at my range last weekend who's rifle had been coated by Kal. The rifle was a sako, with a lightish profile barrel and moderator (both coated in Duracoat)

Now over the course of 2 hrs, that rifle shot 50 rounds of 6.5x284 ammuntion, some of the loads being quite "warm".

Those of us with moderators know that the section of barrel covered by the can tends to get quite warm to the touch, I have to say that this particular moderator got very warm, as did the portion of barrel covered by the mod.

The Duracoat, showed no signs whatsover of suffering from this abuse, it didn't get sticky, chip or come off in any way, despite the barrel being too hot to comfortably hold at times for more than a second or so.

It will be interesting to see how the flecktarn comes out, as it might be my next choice I think!

Archived