Lapua brass

Foxwhistler88

I've bought some Lapua brass for my 6mm creedmoor and yesterday decided to start reloading with it!
First of all I moly'd the necks and run a 6mm neck sizing mandrel through just to take out any dents!
When I came to seat the Hornady ELD-X bullets,I can only describe it as seriously hard to do?

I chambered quite a few and no problem! 
Is lapua brass known for being tight in the necks, or am I missing something?
Thanks for any replies!

Hi there 

my last sets of 308 and 223 brass from lapua have also been rather tight on first reload. So had to mandrel size the rest and go back to a normal redding seater die rather than my micrometer Forster one which was leaving a bad ring at the contact point on the bullets ( 178 eldms ) . Also needed a good bit more chamfering on the inside of the neck to get a smooth bullet seating. Lyman vld type tool works well. 
Lapuas quality may have drifted a bit with all these wars going on?? 
They just take a little more preparation. Buy in bulk there’s shortages coming again . 
cheers

Did you chamfer the mouths? That has  marked impact on seating consistency in my experience.

I’m running through a batch of virgin BR brass currently, mandrel and a chamfer is all it’s getting before loading. So far the results have been excellent.

• 2 months later...

Never had an issue with Lapua brass but did have an issue with neck sizing die that was leaving the necks corrugated. The seller nor I have seen anything like that. The seller did replace it with a die from a different manufacturer. I only use full length sizing since then. I use RCBS competition sizing and seating die.

• 2 weeks later...

hey , this shouldn't be tight if you have used the right mandrel , a 1 thou difference is what i go for , also someone else has mentioned if your using long vld type bullets use a vld chamfer tool , i had this problem and made the switch to vld tool and no probs from then . cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Could the neck thickness be thicker and require neck turning?

On 3/29/2024 at 9:29 AM, gunner said:

hey , this shouldn't be tight if you have used the right mandrel , a 1 thou difference is what i go for , also someone else has mentioned if your using long vld type bullets use a vld chamfer tool , i had this problem and made the switch to vld tool and no probs from then . cheers

28 minutes ago, Jimbob22 said:

Could the neck thickness be thicker and require neck turning?

no.