Lost enthusiasm

Matt86

Long time lurker here.

I’ve been target shooting for 12 years now, and maybe it’s the club I’m in, but the enthusiasm has totally gone.

I can’t decide whether to sell up and draw a line under it, or try another club.

I shoot at Bisley and loathe the place and the old-boys-club mentality. I am one of the youngest in my club, despite pushing 40, and have very little in common with the other members.

it’s now got to the point that I pretty much dread shooting; the long drive, the loneliness of standing on a range with nothing to say to the other club members, the expense. I’m wondering how many times can I make a hole in paper and still enjoy it.

Maybe my AI is too good, it’s too easy? 

I guess this is more of a rant than a conversation.

In an ideal scenario there would be a practical shotgun venue near me in the middle of Surrey, as this feels like an actual challenge.

I used to shoot clays but struggle with the tweed brigade, it’s not my scene but I really enjoy the shoot.

what do you do when the enthusiasm goes?

If you are travelling to Bisley why don’t you try CSR. It can be shot with your AI. It’s still on a square range but shot in different positions which creates a new aspect to the scenario. 

Shooting on your belly in a stable position on a range with sighted shots really does become boring. Especially when you have been doing it for 12 years. 

Then there is PRS which is now also being ran at Bisley along with other locations in the U.K. which will obviously require a lot more travelling, however it gets you off the square range template. 

of course there is also F class competitions that your rifle could also qualify for but I don’t have any experience in this type of shooting discipline. 

How about a spot of deer stalking? Your rifle might be more suitable for, shall we say other targets, however at least you know it will be accurate. 

All of these formats will open you up to different groups of people and hopefully a joint interest which will give you a new lease of enthusiasm. 

1 hour ago, Scotch_egg said:

If you are travelling to Bisley why don’t you try CSR. It can be shot with your AI. It’s still on a square range but shot in different positions which creates a new aspect to the scenario. 

Shooting on your belly in a stable position on a range with sighted shots really does become boring. Especially when you have been doing it for 12 years. 

Then there is PRS which is now also being ran at Bisley along with other locations in the U.K. which will obviously require a lot more travelling, however it gets you off the square range template. 

of course there is also F class competitions that your rifle could also qualify for but I don’t have any experience in this type of shooting discipline. 

How about a spot of deer stalking? Your rifle might be more suitable for, shall we say other targets, however at least you know it will be accurate. 

All of these formats will open you up to different groups of people and hopefully a joint interest which will give you a new lease of enthusiasm. 

You won't be bored shooting CSR and you won't be thinking your AI is too accurate when you are shooting 3 second snaps at a Fig 14 after a run down. 

There is the 4 day Imperial coming up from 28th June, then the league starts again in October.

Several of us book a lane once or twice a month to practice, you are welcome to join us. But bring plenty of ammo.

Definitely try another Range,and definitely try other disciplines.

if all else fails take up Train spotting it’s supposed to be great !!!!

I found bisley to be as you described so my son and I stopped going.

But 5years later I found a small club near Sevenoaks that I can shoot at every day if I want but I go Tuesdays I have meet some different people all love shooting guns,all have a comment to make about my bad shooting .

We go to bisley once a month 600 yards generally, we all sit together help each other,sometimes not so helpful.

But they have introduced me to another part off  bisley that I wasn't shown before.

I now go when ever I can ,I am trying to shoot f-class to a reasonable stand with help and advice of members on this site.

Don't retire find people that you can enjoy your shooting with

Mat, where are you based?

There may be a local club offering small-bore GR or practical shooting matches/events that will get the old shooting juices flowing again.
It might get you back and it'll be cheaper even with the prices of 22LR these days.

On 5/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, martin_b said:

There are some Practical Shotgun comps coming up at Bisley.. Give James Harris @ the NRA a ring if you are interested.. 

to be honest I’m keen to not give the NRA any more of my money. I used to be a member

11 hours ago, Mattnall said:

Mat, where are you based?

There may be a local club offering small-bore GR or practical shooting matches/events that will get the old shooting juices flowing again.
It might get you back and it'll be cheaper even with the prices of 22LR these days.

I’m in Reigate, used to shoot Caterham but that was an odd place!

Small world, I'm also in Reigate. 

For Clays you've got Headley Horne or Newdigate, 

Rifles: Small Bore at Bookham, (Leatherhead) Centerfire at Dorking.

Happy to chew the fat over a beer?

1 hour ago, Matt86 said:

to be honest I’m keen to not give the NRA any more of my money. I used to be a member

You said " I shoot at Bisley and loathe the place and the old-boys-club mentality. I am one of the youngest in my club, despite pushing 40, and have very little in common with the other members.

it’s now got to the point that I pretty much dread shooting; the long drive, the loneliness of standing on a range with nothing to say to the other club members, the expense. I’m wondering how many times can I make a hole in paper and still enjoy it"

That's because you are shooting the wrong disciplines with the wrong people. Bisley's facilities are head and shoulders above most of the country, you just need to use them and enjoy them, instead of using them in the manner that others do.

You'll get out of it what you put in.