Recommended action for .284Win F Open rifle

MichalS

Gentelmen,

I'm going to build my first custom rifle for F Open. After consideration I chose .284Win, not the fashionable magnums as I want to have decent barrel life and brass availability.

I plan to use a Joe West stock, but I have a problem with the action. I'm in Europe, and pretty much nothing's available. I planned to go Barnard, but there was no shipment in 2 years now, and the company seems shut (not even the website works). American actions are nonexistent also. It has come to the point that people are actually building custom rifles based on T3X Tikkas...

Question to the F Open guys - how much a difference does action really make wnd what would you choose nowadays?

TIA,

Michal

Barnard P

Borden BRXMD 

both solid and dependable actions - the barnard triggers which  come with the action are very good 

The Borden are nicer aesthetically 

Both would serve you well 

I've used my 26 inch tikka 284 for f open when my saum was off being rebarreled..

It's my main hunting rifle but it's a sako heavy profile barrel fitted by Neil Mckillop and bedded into a Manners T4A stock by Ronin..

It's always been a very accurate rifle..

I had too use a mod as I usually shoot it on the range with a muzzle brake but there not allowed In f class..

I used scenars and it shot great.

I attached a piece of anschults rail to the end of the stock and attached a front bag rider.. worked a treat 

3 hours ago, Ronin said:

Barnard P

Borden BRXMD 

both solid and dependable actions - the barnard triggers which  come with the action are very good 

The Borden are nicer aesthetically 

Both would serve you well 

Agree with the Barnard ! Very sturdy and easy to clean . ONE issue with them though , you need to clean asap if they get damp as bolt will rust quickly otherwise bombproof ! 

Which part of Europe are you from, I.e. EU or outside? Within the EU, there are quite a few actions manufactured locally und many are REM 700 clones. The US Kelblys Atlas (rebranded as SMH here) is quite popular and seems to be available in a number of EU countries as well. 

• 8 months later...