Range bag - what are you using?

I did use the search option but didn’t find any other threads. Therefore, what range bag are you using? I am currently using a rucksack, just it isn’t that easy to find anything, therefore looking for a range bag – what would you recommend?

Need to carry the usual: first aid kit, headphones, ammunition, waterproofs, small soft rear bag, flask, snacks, FAC wallet, notepad, pens, stapler, A4 waterproof folder, etc.

Thank you.

A quick search for “range bags” will throw up a myriad of bags and manufacturers covering a wide range of prices, capacities and features such as 5.11, Orca, Rangemaxx etc. 

My personal favourites remains “Maxpedition” I have three, but admittedly they are not the cheapest.

1 minute ago, Ballistol said:

A quick search for “range bags” will throw up a myriad of bags and manufacturers covering a wide range of prices, capacities and features such as 5.11, Orca, Rangemaxx etc. 

My personal favourites remains “Maxpedition” I have three, but admittedly they are not the cheapest.

Always helpful to get a users opinion, sometimes just buying a name isn't the best option.However, I am a fan of Maxpedition kit. If you have three, all the same or different, also which ones do you use?

I have three AIM drag bags which are great but I've moved on to an Eberlestock G3 Phantom.

It gets all those things you itemised into it and more and also a rifle.

It's a bit of a lump once loaded but it keeps everything in place so no chance that I'll leave anything behind.

Regards

Monkey of the Sea

56 minutes ago, SeaMonkey said:

I have three AIM drag bags which are great but I've moved on to an Eberlestock G3 Phantom.

It gets all those things you itemised into it and more and also a rifle.

It's a bit of a lump once loaded but it keeps everything in place so no chance that I'll leave anything behind.

Regards

Monkey of the Sea

I too use an AIM bag in addition to the rucksack.

“Always helpful to get a users opinion, sometimes just buying a name isn't the best option.However, I am a fan of Maxpedition kit. If you have three, all the same or different, also which ones do you use? “

I use two Maxpedition MPB, one green and one FDE both with different load outs for both indoor and outdoor ranges where I need different kit. I find it easier to just grab the right bag according to where I’m going rather than load and unload a single bag every time I go. 
Similarly, I use a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack when hunting again pre loaded with the specific equipment I’m likely to need. 

I had an Eberlestock Little Brother which was a cracking backpack for range use with both top and front opening.

However the scabbard for rifle carriage wasn't ideal for range use. So I've moved to a Eberlestock Sniper Sled and re purposed an old 5.11 Rucksack for carrying first aid, wet/cold gear etc 

9 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

I have one of these in 52":

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/ridgeline-tactical-sniper-drag-bag-47-inch

It comes with a removable rucksack

Pete

I have one of these too but I find I still need to take a second bag as I can't fit everything in, but it's still a very good bag. 

3 hours ago, Lewiscooke said:

I have one of these too but I find I still need to take a second bag as I can't fit everything in, but it's still a very good bag. 

Agreed, I take an AIM bag and a rucksack and looking to replace the rucksack.

4 hours ago, T65 said:

I use one of these as a range bag. Lots of space and water proof. Plus really cheap for what it is.

https://ngtonline.co.uk/shop/luggage/carp-coarse-fishing-tackle-bag-insulated-holdall-quality-ngt/

Plenty to choose from.

https://www.ngtdirect.co.uk/ngt-luggage?page=4

Thanks. Tried to purchase https://ngtonline.co.uk/shop/luggage/carp-coarse-fishing-tackle-bag-insulated-holdall-quality-ngt/, however had problems with the website (both PayPal and credit card). Maybe my security software was stopping payment?

20 hours ago, geek said:

Thanks. Tried to purchase https://ngtonline.co.uk/shop/luggage/carp-coarse-fishing-tackle-bag-insulated-holdall-quality-ngt/, however had problems with the website (both PayPal and credit card). Maybe my security software was stopping payment?

Plenty of other people selling them. You could try your local fishing shop if online fails.

23 hours ago, geek said:

I too bought the same bag for lumping various bits of stuff (rear bags, ammo, torx wrench, kestrel etc etc). I use it in addition to the AIM bags I use…which are very helpful (especially using backpack straps).

The above fishing bag I bought off Amazon I think. 
its been really good, especially when it rains as the central compartment stays dry inside. 
But I’ve found the zip recently went. I think I just overloaded it. 
my next purchase will be a 4x wheel folding trolly/buggy. Easier on the shoulders of carrying two rifles plus mat plus range bag etc etc. 

3 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

I too bought the same bag for lumping various bits of stuff (rear bags, ammo, torx wrench, kestrel etc etc). I use it in addition to the AIM bags I use…which are very helpful (especially using backpack straps).

its been really good, especially when it rains as the central compartment stays dry inside. 
my next purchase will be a 4x wheel folding trolly/buggy. Easier on the shoulders of carrying two rifles plus mat plus range bag etc etc. 

https://www.ngtdirect.co.uk/product-page/dynamic-carp-trolley  

these work well and fold up

7 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

I have purchased the fishing bag from Amazon, if it's OK I will buy another for my son.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:15 AM, T65 said:

I use one of these as a range bag. Lots of space and water proof. Plus really cheap for what it is.

https://ngtonline.co.uk/shop/luggage/carp-coarse-fishing-tackle-bag-insulated-holdall-quality-ngt/

Plenty to choose from.

https://www.ngtdirect.co.uk/ngt-luggage?page=4

I eventually purchased NGT Green Insulated Fishing Bag - NGT Online from Amazon, seems ideal for the money. 

Thanks for the recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a tool bag made by Metabo - in black.  They come in green/black too.  I found that lots of these bags had no hard base - so if you put heavy stuff in them, they sagged - and also were not designed to carry weight.

With a tool bag - I can put 20kg of stuff in there, no problem - and it has a solid base.

• 1 year later...

I'm looking into picking up a 'drag matt' its a combination of a drag matt and a shooting matt. (Its in the royal mail, haven't trialled it)

Walk onto the firing point with the bag, unzip it, unfold the mat and anything I need is ready to hand in the internal pockets along with the rifle.

When your finish pack everything up and walk to you car/ next event

Any other non essential bits stay in the car in a plastic toolbox until I need them. (But I typically have the car at the back of the firing point)

On 5/1/2024 at 8:17 AM, Danny62 said:

I'm looking into picking up a 'drag matt' its a combination of a drag matt and a shooting matt. (Its in the royal mail, haven't trialled it)

Walk onto the firing point with the bag, unzip it, unfold the mat and anything I need is ready to hand in the internal pockets along with the rifle.

When your finish pack everything up and walk to you car/ next event

Any other non essential bits stay in the car in a plastic toolbox until I need them. (But I typically have the car at the back of the firing point)

Where did you buy this from please?  I have a ridgeline rifle bag that opens to a range mat, although virtually no storage