Jack Neary Interview

VarmLR

...on Youtube:  

I wonder what the UKV views are on "2 thou' seating difference" becoming significant to harmonic nodes?

Is this just naval gazing or is 2 thou really that sensitive in relation to barrel time?

I agree in principle with not chasing lands, which I've found even  for shooting VLD type bullets is meaningless given that the throat and jump to lands is a changing feast.  I've always started by noting the bullet jam seating for the bullets I intend on using, in a new barrel, then starting 10 thou off and working backwards during load development until I found a node, then tweaking powder charge for lowest MV SD.  I've found that iterative because powder charge then can alter barrel time hence optimum seating depth again but usually I find a couple of nodes for optimum group size and SD at perhaps 2 seating depths back from my start position and these become my seating depths which then I don't alter.  If temperatures change enough to affect load, I tweak the load and note the data for temperature and revised load as I update Strelok for powder sensitivity using this data but the seating depth I keep the same.

From the interview, I was surprised to note Jack's method of "two shot" groups to get one hole, and developing loads on that basis.

Memento mori ?

In my case life is to short.. I shoot purely for the joy in it and the odd day when the planets align and the bloody things go where i expect them to.

Other opinions respected.. 🙂

5 hours ago, VarmLR said:

...on Youtube:  

I wonder what the UKV views are on "2 thou' seating difference" becoming significant to harmonic nodes?

Is this just naval gazing or is 2 thou really that sensitive in relation to barrel time?

I agree in principle with not chasing lands, which I've found even  for shooting VLD type bullets is meaningless given that the throat and jump to lands is a changing feast.  I've always started by noting the bullet jam seating for the bullets I intend on using, in a new barrel, then starting 10 thou off and working backwards during load development until I found a node, then tweaking powder charge for lowest MV SD.  I've found that iterative because powder charge then can alter barrel time hence optimum seating depth again but usually I find a couple of nodes for optimum group size and SD at perhaps 2 seating depths back from my start position and these become my seating depths which then I don't alter.  If temperatures change enough to affect load, I tweak the load and note the data for temperature and revised load as I update Strelok for powder sensitivity using this data but the seating depth I keep the same.

From the interview, I was surprised to note Jack's method of "two shot" groups to get one hole, and developing loads on that basis.

Jack is one of the World's top benchrest shooters and a really nice guy (shot with him at the Benchrest Worlds in Sweden some years ago) who goes out of his way to share information with his fellow shooters. If you don't shoot competitive short range benchrest then yes - maybe Jack is a little too anal but if you do wish to shoot at the highest level then you'll hang on to his every word.

Thanks for the feedback.  When I wind down from work, I'd like to do more competitive shooting so every day is still a learning day, even after many years.  Thank you for the feedback.  I place a lot of faith in Eric Cortina who has also been very open about his techniques to try and help bring others on, and the two of them obviously know one another well.  Jack does seem like a nice guy.  Just trying to get my head around a 2 thou jump tuning nodes!

I'd like to know how you'd measure a 2 thou jump...........you're shoving a curved taper into a hole, and with a copper jacketed bullet, you'd need a temperature controlled environment to ensure that all the bullets had precisely the same profile when seating them. That's assuming that the bullet manufacturing process itself has zero tolerance, and that there's not an atom of carbon or copper or airborne dust in the throat...

And then there's the brass..........

But I could be wrong

Pete

2 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

I'd like to know how you'd measure a 2 thou jump...........you're shoving a curved taper into a hole, and with a copper jacketed bullet, you'd need a temperature controlled environment to ensure that all the bullets had precisely the same profile when seating them. That's assuming that the bullet manufacturing process itself has zero tolerance, and that there's not an atom of carbon or copper or airborne dust in the throat...

And then there's the brass..........

But I could be wrong

Pete

You're correct - you'll struggle to get mass produced bullets so consistent but of course all short-range benchrest shooters are using custom hand-made bullets which are pretty good.

I agree.  Many digital vernier gauges are only accurate to within 1% and that's if used correctly.  A little too much pressure when using them combined with the accuracy target could render the measurement suspect.  That's why I move back in 5 thou intervals.  For those who don't shoot benchrest and go the extra mile with neck turning, annealing and checking run-out, it seems pointless to use such precise fine measurements.

My own procedure when getting a new batch of bullets acknowledges the fact that throat erosion will have moved the lands forward effectively. I don't bother chasing the lands, even with VLD bullets, so I use the same start point which I've always used (10 thou off new barrel lands) and that is my OAL datum.  I work back in 5 thou intervals until group sizes contract.  There's always a node or two.  That's for new to me bullets.  For one's I've always used, I maintain the same OAL previously determined with seating depth changes(B to O) and vary powder charge for each batch to pick the best grouping load.