Any info from people using the T ceptor Pro 55-6 thermal

Richiew

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Price-aside, its about the best thermal scope in the UK at the mo. HIK TQ50 is close for less cash.

Really cant stress enough that you try before you buy, especially when deciding between brands as some give very different pictures in spite of having basically the same spec on paper e.g. anything Pulsar v anything Infiray.

Thanks for the info mate , not gonna part with cash till I’ve tried one tho . Seen the top model Rico at Doncaster last year and it was great but then you realise it’s on low mag at close stuff to which they all seem good . Ideally I would like something that’s got a great picture around the 8x mark for fox control. Hik panther could be worth a look at ?? . Will see what’s at the show. 
Cheers Rich 

The only thing with base mag that high is the 75mm Senopex that Blackwoods are flogging, but its a big hunking heavy thing and as its not a well known brand which will effect how easy it is to move on when you want rid at some point. Anything else will be using digital mag to get to 8x mag or more which equals pixilation to one degree or another. Having said that, those scopes are all still plenty capable of shooting foxes to 250+ yards assuming you're confident about I.D. etc.

I would be looking at both 384 and 612 sensor units; T-Ceptor 55-3, 55-6, Infiray RL42, HIK Thunder/Panther, Trail/Thermion XP - depending on budget and what to you personally gives the best image at the mag you're likely to shoot with most, from experience peoples preferences can vary wildly - of the aforementioned scopes you will find someone will think its the best of them, whilst the chap next to him thinks its the worst! 

Cheers for that , I was thinking 8x with digital mag but not wanting to lose out on picture quality . Not really wanting to mistake a shot on the farm cat or a sitting hare . Something with a long battery life would be useful so it can be left on ready to go , hik panther uses standard 18650 which is good news. Already got an oldish pulsar xq38 so I understand their limitations. There’s lots of video s out there where I’m thinking that’s a bit dodgy . 

I've used  the T Ceptor Pro and the HIK TQ50 and now own a TQ50.

Tje T Ceptor Pro probably just has the edge in image quality (but the sparkle reticle is much better done on the HIK), but the difference in price between it and the HIK TQ50 makes the HIK a much better value proposition.

Cheers

Bruce

Don't expect to see a Stand with T Ceptor Pro NV scopes on it - but the Optics Warehouse stand will have all the various HIKs available.

Cheers

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick 

Thanks very much for the offer , unfortunately work won’t let me off Friday but I’ll be there Saturday looking round the stalls . Going by the reviews and size I have narrowed things down to the hik panther but still want to see it in the flesh . Pixelisation is my main concern at approx 7.5 times equivalent mag . 260 rips article got my interest so if real life matches up I’ll be going that route . 
cheers 

1 hour ago, Richiew said:

Hi Nick 

Thanks very much for the offer , unfortunately work won’t let me off Friday but I’ll be there Saturday looking round the stalls . Going by the reviews and size I have narrowed things down to the hik panther but still want to see it in the flesh . Pixelisation is my main concern at approx 7.5 times equivalent mag . 260 rips article got my interest so if real life matches up I’ll be going that route . 
cheers 

If you’re worried about pixelisation you would be better off with a Thermion XM50, which at base mag of 5.5 is pretty much what your looking for. 

If you really need x8 mag without pixellation then the Senopex A7 is the only one worth considering

I have one on trial and tonight, alongside my HIK TQ50 (which I think is a great "bang for your buck" thermal scope) and my old ZK1 75-6 (17 microm 640x480 sensor and 75mm lens) the Senopex was the hands down winner.

Bunnies at 300 yards looked the size of foxes with plenty target detail

The Senopex has digital mag up to x8, but frankly it's not going to be needed for most shots.

Note that the Senopex does not have wifi or on board recording and recordings made using it's analog video output are pretty dire.

However it does run on 2 x18650 batteries which gives it about 10 hours run time

Cheers

Bruce

The Senopex does have on board recording but it is shite, the outputted signal is actually better but still not good enough.

I have an A7 and it is the best thermal scope for longer range work I have used, it's not perfect but it is the first scope that has been good enough to replace a Drone Pro for foxing.

4 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

The Senopex does have on board recording but it is shite, the outputted signal is actually better but still not good enough.

I have an A7 and it is the best thermal scope for longer range work I have used, it's not perfect but it is the first scope that has been good enough to replace a Drone Pro for foxing.

What is the mount like and does it retain zero?

Thanks 

Nick

The mount is not great, I have not had any loss of zero problems but only because I have kept a close eye on the thumbscrews, when I initially mounted the scope I could feel the thumbsrews had come loose after several shots, since I forced them absolutely as tight as I could by hand they have not been a problem but personally I think a scope of this size needs something better, especially if you were using it on a high recoiling rifle, I have only tried mine on a 223 and my 20BR.

Also for me the thumbscrews are on the wrong side, the front one partially covers the ejection port on both my T3 and my Sako 75, not a disaster but not great either, a plain bolt head would be far less obtrusive (and would take more torque) or put them on the other side.

On 1/25/2022 at 6:53 PM, Richiew said:

Hi all 

Might take the jump and go top end thermal . Any info would be appreciated and will there be one to see at the NEC show .

Thanks in advance 

cheers Rich 

Hi Richie,

If you want magnification for long range foxing, then the cheaper T-Ceptor PRO 55-3 would be the one to go for with 6x base mag. The image quality of the target for a given magnification, poor weather performance and user experience is exactly the same as the 55-6. You just loose the wide FOV on the bottom end.

This video will give you a rough idea of what you can expect to see through the 55-3, albeit the video is 1/4 - 1/2 the visible quality through the scope itself depending on the zoom level.

https://youtu.be/3mtxWknT09Y

In terms of pixellation when zooming, it doesn't really do it as the image is upscaled each time to the display. It never turns into 'Space Invaders' as a lot of other units do. Also if you do use digital zoom, the image is re-exposed, further enhancing target detail. Nothing else does this.

It's a small, lightweight, robust unit with rock solid POI and reliability and we build them here in the UK.

We've trialled bigger lenses on the platform, but it was a waste of time and would be a waste of money for our customers. Targets were bigger, but no more detailed due to the limitations of the lens material and layout of elements required for a rifle scope to maintain POI during focusing. No different to applying a little digital zoom on the 55mm lens which is already optimised for highest possible resolution.

You can quite easily visually ID a fox at 450+ yards and shoot it if you can put the bullet in the right place. I'm not sure what more is needed.

The image processing is hardware based on a dedicated chip, rather than the usual firmware loaded onto a microprocessor so it does an awful lot more, an awful lot faster than other thermal cores. There is no lag or delay to the image.

It's not an overly expensive scope due to us manufacturing it and selling direct to the end user, but it is assembled from comparatively, very expensive components which shows in the resulting performance.

Hopefully this all helps.

Cheers

Clive