Deer Stalking Certificate, Part One Course

hellandback

BASC is the way forward! I did level one in clack Heaton and onto king’s forest in thetford for various stalks.

under BASC stalking scheme the standard calibre was 308 at the time .

Thanks nick 

• 7 months later...

Yep, well worth attending.  Did mine years ago and was taken by the number of old hands attending who seemed to get a lot out of it.  Old dogs learning new tricks.  The other thing I was surprised at was the number of experienced shots who didn't fare too well on the grouping tests.  Some could barely get three shots into 3 inches prone.  Could have been nerves though as tests can do that.

I certainly found it well worth doing. Not just the course which was very informative but there were people there who had lots of experience in different areas so the Q & A sessions and the coffee and lunch breaks were very informative too.

David.

I’m sure that it was my DSC.1 certificate that got me my first stalking permission. 

Imagine that you’re a farmer or landowner, and some bloke whom you’ve never seen before walks up and asks to shoot a powerful rifle on your property. You’d want something on paper to reassure you that he had some idea of what he was doing, and that’s where DSC.1 comes in.

Recommended.

maximus otter

Question, can you still obtain a DSC 1 certificate without ever actually seen a deer or even standing in a field where one might have been at one time?….. asking for a friend 😉

3 minutes ago, terryh said:

Question, can you still obtain a DSC 1 certificate without ever actually seen a deer or even standing in a field where one might have been at one time?….. asking for a friend 😉

Yes.

maximus otter

DSC1 provides the basic information required to be able to identify the species, sex and assess if a shot would be safe or not to take in field conditions 

The course also involves a shooting test which involves two shots to the chest on a deer target at 100 mtr

Two to the chest as 70 mtrs seated standing or kneeling on the same target

Two dispatch shots to the head on the same target at 20 mtrs

The course used to be three days but has now been condensed to three 

it provides the absolute basic level of knowledge to anyone involved in deer management 

There is no practical aspect - such as field training and it’s perfectly feasible for someone with zero experience of shooting to pass the course (having been involved in the delivery of the shooting tests of these courses this is absolutely genuine ) 

22 hours ago, terryh said:

You can also get one without doing the course, you can just do the assessments if you want

Thank you for the clarifications gents, it has not changed since I last looked a good few years ago.

Bottom line, useful tool to keep plod and a land owner happy but in real terms not much gravitas.

Brgds T

1 hour ago, terryh said:

Thank you for the clarifications gents, it has not changed since I last looked a good few years ago.

Bottom line, useful tool to keep plod and a land owner happy but in real terms not much gravitas.

Brgds T

https://www.dmq.org.uk/latest-news/ is worth a read. 'Trained Hunter qualification' is no longer achieved by passing DSC 1.

Regards

JCS

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, jcampbellsmith said:

https://www.dmq.org.uk/latest-news/ is worth a read. 'Trained Hunter qualification' is no longer achieved by passing DSC 1.

Regards

JCS

I think there've been a few changes over the years but undertood that those qualifying at DSC1 level prior to 2019 automatically retain their Trained Hunter status.  The only other changes noted are the changes to the shooting test, to include follow up (Humane Dispatch) shots.