38 Special

gazzarM1

Just loaded some with 2400 8.5 gr,not shot them yet but thinking can’t get it no more?

Used to be a load of data around for 38 with 2400 but a bit thin on the ground now.I have some Blue dot and fired some off last year after shooting some 357 ammo in the same gun...the 357 were spot on but the 38’s using that powder were abysmal...Looking for 25-50 yd accuracy

Local club is very 'gallery orientated' with some national team members. 

Quite a few recommend GM3 which I tried (after capitulating and buying a gallery rifle) against a few other powders and it performed very well, from memory 3.8g under a commercial 158g cast bullet.

T

11 hours ago, BFD said:

Yeah it was popular on the gallery rifle scene 2 or 3 years ago,haven't seen any available recently though thankfully I bought several pounds of it.

Have not looked recently, have a good few tubs.

What ‘is’  the current flavour of the day then re. 38 Spl.?

9 hours ago, terryh said:

Have not looked recently, have a good few tubs.

What ‘is’  the current flavour of the day then re. 38 Spl.?

There's a few guys using csb5 if I remember correctly after gm3 either dried up or if you could get it the price had gone up.

Using GM3 in my 44's, bought a few Kg of it a few years ago.

Just picked up a load of Maxam CSB5, supposed to be very good for both 357/38 and 44/44mag.

I've made some test loads up, just waiting for my indoor club to re-open in April 😛

At £29/500g it's also a lot cheaper than Blue/Red Dot, Unique etc. :)

14 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I'm using 4.5 Unique with a 158gn (unsized) soft cast flat top round nosed bullet in .357 cases for my Winchester 94AE. A nice soft load at around 1,030 and good accuracy for 25 yd gallery.

Unique is my go to for 38 Special. I just got back a 6" Colt Police Positive I'd lent a friend 20 years ago. Five grains under a Lyman 358-156GC bullet was its favored load. X-ring accurate at 25 yards.~Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Unique is my go to for 38 Special. I just got back a 6" Colt Police Positive I'd lent a friend 20 years ago. Five grains under a Lyman 358-156GC bullet was its favored load. X-ring accurate at 25 yards.~Andrew

I use unique with the same 158gn bullet in my .357 muzzle loader too - This is 20yds, off a sandbag with open sights: (and 70+ old eyes. :) )

5lVU7Dum.pngOFhXqcTm.jpgFGndvl7m.jpg

10 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

Cast Andrew

Good. Swaged lead is hardly worth the effort.

I decade back, on Christmas eve, I bought a 4" S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman  .357 dating from thej 1950's. A beautiful, all original gun. The owner of the pawn shop sold it to me at a ridiculiously low price because the barrel was 'ruined'. Someone had shot some heavy handloads with swaged pure pead bullets and leaded it until the rifling was almost absent. I spent a few nights with a Lewis Lead remover removing 95% of the built up, then popped a cylinder-full of jacketed bullets through it to clean out the rest. I still have that gun.~Muir

That brings back some fond memories. The model 28 was the first fullbore pistol that I learnt to shoot. At the the time they were considered to be a bit plain and heavy, but I absolutely loved it.

I have to disagree on swaged. They will work really well if used in the right way. I must have made many thousands of hollow based wadcutters, swaged from pure lead wire on an old Wamadet press and then lubed in a polythene bag. Load was 2.7 grains of Viht. N310 if I recall correctly. And they would shoot into tight clusters at 25 yards, with very little leading.

But back to the OP, swaged bullets would be completely wrong for a gallery rifle. Viht. N320 is a good way to go for a 158 grain cast bullet.

6 hours ago, Shuggy said:

That brings back some fond memories. The model 28 was the first fullbore pistol that I learnt to shoot. At the the time they were considered to be a bit plain and heavy, but I absolutely loved it.

I have to disagree on swaged. They will work really well if used in the right way. I must have made many thousands of hollow based wadcutters, swaged from pure lead wire on an old Wamadet press and then lubed in a polythene bag. Load was 2.7 grains of Viht. N310 if I recall correctly. And they would shoot into tight clusters at 25 yards, with very little leading.

But back to the OP, swaged bullets would be completely wrong for a gallery rifle. Viht. N320 is a good way to go for a 158 grain cast bullet.

"Used in the right way" is the key.

I have used HPWCs for bullseye shooting over light charges of Bullseye. I have also seen cracked forcing cones in revolvers from some nimrod over loading the round and leaving the skirt at the forcing cone for the next round to hit. Hornady's graphite coated SWC were popular for a while but they can make a mess of a gun when used incorrectly.

The Model 28 is a wonderful revolver. St Nicholas left a minty 6" for my (then) 18 year old son one Christmas and he learned handgun marksmanship with it -and later became a very successful small game hunter using it. The four inch are scarce as hens teeth and pretty snorty with full loads and the original grips! ~Andrew