Reloading data

Nick 53

Hi,

currently running a 6br Savage with 105 scenar L molly coated.

With MV 2847. Lowther Match barrel 1-8 28" long. 

Is there any way of getting a better MV or is the current MV OK. 

Thanks nick 

Nick,

That seems (to me) to be good MV with the 6BR. I'm using a 6mm Dasher at present with 105g Berger's and they are doing 2950+/- and seem to be quite happy doing so.

I'm using 4166 powder, do feel there might be a bit more MV to be gained but the current load is very accurate, again by my standards, so will not be chasing the next sweat spot.

T

I think 2850 is about as good as it gets.  My previous one was running around that, with n140 and 105 Amax.  I haven’tChrono’d my new one, but I’ve switched to n150,  though I’m getting heavy bolt lift and will have to drop down a few tenths.  
if it ever stops raining I’ll chrono it and let you know.  
What powder are you using?

Thanks guys for thoughts. I'm using RS 52 on my 90gn Molly and getting MV 3113. 

So I might try RS52 on my 105 scenar L molly just to see. 

Thanks nick 

I am currently load developing my factory Savage 6BR at the moment (with the assistance of The Gum Pimp on here) for my son to use in factory benchrest and the results so far are as follows:

Case: Lapua

Primer: Federal 205 (although, these may need to be changed, a few primers were holed)

Bullet: Berger 105 VDL

Powder: Viht N150

29.0grs: at barrel: 2753ft/s (this looked like over pressure (stiff bolt), but was actually too little powder)

29.3grs: at barrel: 2776, 2777, 2777 = 2776.5ft/s

29.6grs: at barrel: 2791, 2795 = 2793ft/s

31.2grs: at barrel: 2902ft/s

31.4grs: at barrel: 2932, 2938, 2931 and at 600 yard target with Shot Marker, 1955, 1946, 1951, 1961, 1948ft/s  

31.5grs: at barrel: 2921ft/s

31.7grs: at 600 yard target with Shot Marker, 1963, 1964, 1948, 1971, 1966ft/s

31.8grs: at barrel: 2943ft/s 

32.0grs at 600yard target with Shot Marker, 2005ft/s) pressure signs

32.1grs: at barrel: 2971ft/s pressure signs

Next test will be using: 31.2grs and 31.5grs (these didn't show pressure signs, produced the best group so now looking to optimise the group and will develop further around these loads).

These tested in my rifles, don't know about yours!

Nick - copy Geek above - generally most 6BR shooters with a c.30 inch barrel will be looking for 2950fps with a 105gn bullet.

If you want to increase your muzzle velocity - stop mollying your bullets!  Having said that - chase accuracy not velocity - though for 1000 yard benchrest it's handy to have both!

I feel a little barrel envy setting in.....I only have a 24 incher.  
I found an accurate load at 29.3 gr of N150, but I’m experiencing heavy bolt lift and also thought it was over pressure.  If your experience is anything to go by, Geek, I too may be using too little Powder.   
Lapua brass

CCI 450

105 Amax

8 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Nick - copy Geek above - generally most 6BR shooters with a c.30 inch barrel will be looking for 2950fps with a 105gn bullet.

If you want to increase your muzzle velocity - stop mollying your bullets!  Having said that - chase accuracy not velocity - though for 1000 yard benchrest it's handy to have both!

Thanks gun pimp.point taken re mollys but will look at Geek reply. Thanks. 

Going of geek load data I'm currently loading 31.2gn of viht 150. With MV 2847.

Given the replies on here, it might be worth tweeking the load following Geek 31.2 to 31.5 gn. 

Thanks everyone. 

3 hours ago, TJC said:

How long does a barrel last at that sort of velocity ? 

If you use it for competitive benchrest - i.e 5 rounds fired in 15 to 20 seconds - perhaps 1200 rounds before accuracy starts to tail off.  But, we shoot long-range benchrest every month  (about 30 rounds needed) so, with testing, about 400 rounds per year - the barrel will give you about three years competitive shooting.

20 minutes ago, The Gun Pimp said:

If you use it for competitive benchrest - i.e 5 rounds fired in 15 to 20 seconds - perhaps 1200 rounds before accuracy starts to tail off.  But, we shoot long-range benchrest every month  (about 30 rounds needed) so, with testing, about 400 rounds per year - the barrel will give you about three years competitive shooting.

Interesting. Thx

The Lothar barrel on my 6BR has been round the galaxy.............it was well used when I got it 7 years ago, and I've put a couple of thousand through it since.

According to the Shotmarker system, it managed a .49 MOA 5 shot group at 300yds at Bisley in July.

Pete

On 11/23/2020 at 7:43 PM, Woodlander said:

I think 2850 is about as good as it gets.  My previous one was running around that, with n140 and 105 Amax.  I haven’tChrono’d my new one, but I’ve switched to n150,  though I’m getting heavy bolt lift and will have to drop down a few tenths.  
if it ever stops raining I’ll chrono it and let you know.  
What powder are you using?

Hi woodlander, 

Please let me know the result. 

Thanks nick 

Something Different!

The wife and I shoot international 300 mt, not benched, but prone from a sling to ISSF rules.

We use Keppelers in 6mmBR from 1 in 8 barrels 24 ins bartleins. Our load is 107 gn SMK, 28.6 gn of Vhit 540,  2680 fps at the muzzle, shoots one hole groups at 300 mt, also tried for fun at 500 and 600 very successfully. The accuracy drops off a cliff at 2500 rounds. 

Have Fun

Robin

Pam 300mt.jpg

Nick

For what its worth, we have no interest in velocity what so ever, I only ever checked ours for interest after a couple of years because some one had a chrono on the range!

OK, we are concentrating on 300 mt, but our loads were developed for  accuracy, wind bucking, and low recoil (300 is a 60 shot  plus sighters event!).  I think Viht 540 is the reloading secret, I started using it years back when 140 was in short supply, and then discovered I was not alone in its "quiet" use. This year I've developed a .223 load with 540 with 80 gn SMK's in the 300 mt quest for  lower recoil, and the results with that are very impressive.

The print out below was the last 20 of a 60 shot 300 metre training shoot my wife did with her 6 mmBR  in wind with our 540 load, the small ring is 50 mm. it just shows what can  be done when you get the wind right and point the gun at the middle.

Have Fun

Robin

300 mt print.jpg