.22 carbines

brown dog

Idle musing (based on rewatching Spectre!) :

What MP5, or smaller, .22 carbines are out there?

(And why do the MP5s here have such long barrels? To meet US, rather than UK, regs?)

Quite struck that a fun  .22, with a 12" barrel could be built along these lines:

20201018_202950.thumb.jpg.43866e9cbb0eab16ead7150414685412.jpg

Check out the Grand Power Taranis (the 22LR version of the 9mm Stribog)

unfortunately, it also has a long barrel. Maybe due to the stocks fold and it has to be over 600mm folded......or something

40 minutes ago, Roy W said:

I have a 12.5" barrel on my BAR22. I want a longer barrel.

If that appeals to you (best of both worlds) and they are an easy swap, I'd be happy to

😊 thanks, but no - my BAR shoots like an anshutz! 

I fancy a little tiny carbine for no particular reason

That Taranis looks pretty good!  Can't spot price anywhere?

I think they’re around the £900 mark which seems steep but they are supposed to be pretty good.

Scott at Caledonia Classic Arms imports them along with Oto at Cotswold Classic Arms .

not sure about the compact bit, but as you need a long barrel and a stock think these are nice, handled one the other day and saw it shoot - very nice:

https://www.gunfellas.co.uk/gsg-stg-44-german-made-schmeisser-semi-auto-rifle-22lr-595-p.asp

all metal and same weight as the original

20 minutes ago, terryh said:

not sure about the compact bit, but as you need a long barrel and a stock think these are nice, handled one the other day and saw it shoot - very nice:

https://www.gunfellas.co.uk/gsg-stg-44-german-made-schmeisser-semi-auto-rifle-22lr-595-p.asp

all metal and same weight as the original

An impressive replica, I've handled one, and the mp40, but both a bit too 'holocaust' for me to be able to actually enjoy owning one.

I believe UK law requires section 1 firearms to have a minimum barrel length of 12" / 300mm and a minimum overall length or 24" / 600mm. That is the reason for the mock silencers / shroud on the MP5 .22lr that we can have here. Both A4 with fake mod and the SD varient are available secondhand.The long barrel pistols are legal due to meeting the above lengths with a rod/coat hanger although they are treated differently by the police to normal .22 semi-autos.

Some options to look through, Walther G22, S&W 15/22 with collapsible stock and 12" barrel, Pietta PPPS50, Anschutz MSR RX22, Kriss vector barrel cut to 12"

Matt

16 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

We have a Walther MP5 with a short barrel and fixed stock. If it had the collapsible stock it would need the longer barrel with the fake moderator to make the legal length.

It is a joy to shoot.

gamer_rifle_mp5.jpg

Perfect!   Was that a 'stock' item, or was the barrel chopped?

2 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

The model with the fixed stock comes as pictured. If it has the collapsing stock it needs the longer barrel.

I think the longer barrel might also fit the American market which I believe needs a 16" barrel.

Cool.   

Yup, my instinct on the long barrel versions were that they're 4" longer than reqd for UK

9 hours ago, Mark II said:

What about the kriss vector with the 12 inch barrel 

It looks seriously long and 'un-carbine'  in UK configuration - I think the design has the barrel too far forward to work with anything longer than a pistol-length barrel. (Plus, when it fell out of the fugly tree, I think it must have hit every branch on the way down! 😂 If that was an ergonomic sacrifice, I'd respect that, but it also looks 'un-ergonomic', like a newborn giraffe, to my eye - I think the designer must have single-issue-obsessed about bore axis height to the exclusion of every other consideration😳 ) 😊

3 hours ago, brown dog said:

It looks seriously long and 'un-carbine'  in UK configuration - I think the design has the barrel too far forward to work with anything longer than a pistol-length barrel. (Plus, when it fell out of the fugly tree, I think it must have hit every branch on the way down! 😂 If that was an ergonomic sacrifice, I'd respect that, but it also looks 'un-ergonomic', like a newborn giraffe, to my eye - I think the designer must have single-issue-obsessed about bore axis height to the exclusion of every other consideration😳 ) 😊

It is rather an aquired taste😊 shame we can't have the 45acp, does anyone know if the walther mp5 is a solid barrel or a skinny one in a liner.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:55 PM, SeaMonkey said:

Bit of an eye opener, one on Gunstar, like new £900!! I’ll pass I reckon 😑

Bid me on it then 🤨

I've only had about 200-300 rounds through it because I cannot shoulder it, I'm 6'6 and so I have to use it like a pistol, which it is clearly not made for!