7 saum powder choice

Hi

In the process of getting a 7SAUM barrel made up and playing with Q.L and some serious internet crunching I am down to 2 powder. N165 or RS70.

N165 nice cool burner and should see me get 2870 fps with 180 eldm.

RS70 should see nearer 2980 with the same bullet but it's double based.

Many have had great results with both so open to anyone who has some experiance as really can't decide.

Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stan,

When I had a 7mm SAUM I had best success with H4831sc under the 180g Bergers. Was running well north of 2900. What about the ‘RL’’ powders - RL25 perhaps?

But my guess is N165 would be as you say cool but slower. Down to you re which powder - how many rounds are you hoping to get out of the barrel?

Regardless, real nice cartridge the SAUM, think it is one that’s a bit underrated IMHO

good luck

T

So far I've used H1000 and N165.

Both really good and kind on barrels so far..

As H1000 isn't reach compliant and dried up so I now I use N165 and wouldn't change back..

It's slightly faster and you can tell as it's snappier.. shoots the 184gr hybrids superbly.

You don't say how long your barrel is...?

I've had 180gr ELDM's blow up and not make the target in matches so I've stopped using them in matches...!!

very accurate bullets though...!!

My 284 shoots them great too at 160fps slower

13 hours ago, Stanivey said:

Hi

In the process of getting a 7SAUM barrel made up and playing with Q.L and some serious internet crunching I am down to 2 powder. N165 or RS70.

N165 nice cool burner and should see me get 2870 fps with 180 eldm.

RS70 should see nearer 2980 with the same bullet but it's double based.

Many have had great results with both so open to anyone who has some experiance as really can't decide.

Thanks

Looking at the velocities you have given am I right in thinking you will be using a magazine?  Your N165 data is slow if it's single feed, you can certainly get to 3000 fps and beyond with N165 with a long and correctly chambered barrel, normal for F class.

Powders that work in the SAUM

H4831sc

H4350

H1000

IMR 7828ssc

All of the above are REACH compliant so probably not of much use to you,

N165

N160

RS 62

RS 70

I have no experience of using RS 70 or N160 but I'm informed they both work well. My first choice would always be H4831sc after that it would be N165.

Thanks gents for your replies.

I am planning on a barrel length in the region of 27" and will be happy to single feed as it's on a Tikka T3 long action.

It's mostly for hunting and occasional long range plinking.

I would like to get what life I can out of it hence why N165 was suggested as should be the kindest.

Sadly it's REACH only powders now so that rules out some great options 

18 hours ago, No i deer said:

So far I've used H1000 and N165.

Both really good and kind on barrels so far..

As H1000 isn't reach compliant and dried up so I now I use N165 and wouldn't change back..

It's slightly faster and you can tell as it's snappier.. shoots the 184gr hybrids superbly.

You don't say how long your barrel is...?

I've had 180gr ELDM's blow up and not make the target in matches so I've stopped using them in matches...!!

very accurate bullets though...!!

My 284 shoots them great too at 160fps slower

The very bullet i had in mind was the 180eldm as it shoots so well in my 6.5 and did in the previous 7mm.

I have heard about the blow ups and certainly is cause for concern not that I experienced it myself in the rem mag with the 180eldm.

May be something to do with longer barrels of shot strings perhaps...who knows

20 hours ago, terryh said:

Stan,

When I had a 7mm SAUM I had best success with H4831sc under the 180g Bergers. Was running well north of 2900. What about the ‘RL’’ powders - RL25 perhaps?

But my guess is N165 would be as you say cool but slower. Down to you re which powder - how many rounds are you hoping to get out of the barrel?

Regardless, real nice cartridge the SAUM, think it is one that’s a bit underrated IMHO

good luck

T

Yes the Reloader powders are very good also. 

So many good powders have needed to be cut out due to the daft E.U regulations and non REACH compliance.

Regarding how many rounds I would like to try and get 2000 as won't be using in matches and don't need ultimate match accuracy for my requirements 

Thanks

That would depend..

Shooting strings of shots will get the barrel hot..

The odd shot it will probaly last forever...

My current 1 in 9 twist barrel has done I think 1630 shots and must be nearing the end of its life..

The worn barrel may have contributed to the ELDMs blowing up 🤔. Never had any hybrids not make the target..!!

I only shot 3 or 4 matches with them and the last 2 I had blank targets..

Dropping a point hurts... 5 points is total disaster..

If You checkout accurate shooter there's plenty of info on them blowing up, usually happens before 300yds....

2k may need some tlc and N165 for sure then to get there.

Yes I have had a fair read up on the blowing up bullets and not something I want to happen on its way to a deer so may have to opt for the ELDX. 

Shame as the eldm is an excellent hunting bullet

I've not tried them for hunting but I've been a big fan of the amaxs...

6.5 cal 140gr and the 7mm 162grs. I've nearly got the 7mm 162gr ELDX's to shoot nice.

Shot this 5 shot group with 180gr ELDM's a few days ago with my 284 off a bipod and bean bag thing

20200524_233649.jpg

No I did not miss the target Justin 😴

Justin has used about 1500 of the 180gr ELDM's in his 284 and he's not had any blow up that's why he suggests I missed the target..

I was shooting V's and 5's at 300 and 600yds at the time I had the blank targets..

I've never had a blank target before I used the ELDM's.

After the bullet didn't make the target at 600yds in the last match I got 2 other shooters to watch me shoot off the last 8 cartridges watching for another blow up. All V's and 5's none blew..!!

I've put several hundred of them through my 284 without a problem..

Some shooters have run them at 3200fps in there 280 noslers without a blow up and some say string shoot in there 284s and they'll blow up 🤔.

It's very random occurrences.

Maybe inconsistent jacket thicknesses 🤔.

That is fantastic shooting and a group to be proud of !! Such a shame as you say in the back of your mind is the possibility of a blow up.

I have 250 on hand so may as well see how I get on with them and cross that bridge if I get to it.

Funny how Justin has had no problems.

Must be a batch issue and hopefully something Hornady are looking in to as they have a great bullet there !!

Our bullets are from the same lot number or most of them I think..

Justin read off 2 different lot numbers. He had several boxes off me to top up his stash after my blow ups 🤔.

Is your chamber being throated from the ELDM's..?? 

They have a long bearing surface similar to scenars. 

If it's being reamed with I think is .220 freebore reamer the 180gr eldm will be in the donut area as they are in mine which was throated for 184gr hybrids. Fine if you haven't any donuts.

They like to just kiss the lands..

Mine are set 1 to 2 thousanths in on both my saum barrels when I tried them and with my 284 so I can't see why they wouldn't for you..

Justin's are seated the same or was.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:54 PM, No i deer said:

That would depend..

Shooting strings of shots will get the barrel hot..

The odd shot it will probaly last forever...

My current 1 in 9 twist barrel has done I think 1630 shots and must be nearing the end of its life..

The worn barrel may have contributed to the ELDMs blowing up 🤔. Never had any hybrids not make the target..!!

I only shot 3 or 4 matches with them and the last 2 I had blank targets..

Dropping a point hurts... 5 points is total disaster..

If You checkout accurate shooter there's plenty of info on them blowing up, usually happens before 300yds....

Didn’t you miss the target Neil? Justin has never had any ELDMs blow up and he’s shot a lot of them and won a lot with them. You may have been nervous? A tractor may have appeared in front of the backstop and got you all excited 😆 😂. Don’t worry we all miss the target, some more than others... 

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Who ask you too butt in 😁.

Don't you worry Tom I didn't miss..!!!

He'll get some blow up sooner or later 🤣😂. It's just a matter of time...!!!

If you missed at 300 yards then I’d really start to worry. Have you been to specsavers in the past decade? If it’s too late then I’ve got a white stick for you😉😂

Hi Neil - that's really annoying and sorry to hear that! Good on you though for being open about the misses - there's so much hype and B.S. on the internet that it can make mere mortals feel a bit despondent (like those super long range hunts where every shot is a kill). 

Hope you're well mate!

2 minutes ago, Dr.T. said:

Hi Neil - that's really annoying and sorry to hear that! Good on you though for being open about the misses - there's so much hype and B.S. on the internet that it can make mere mortals feel a bit despondent (like those super long range hunts where every shot is a kill). 

Hope you're well mate!

Just friendly banter between friends. Nothing personal 😂

... and to answer the OP. My vote goes to n165, at least for a 30-32 inch barrel. You might want a slightly faster powder for a shorter barrel, but others on here are better placed to say.