Shooting on private land.

martin_b

Guys I have the standard conditions on my FAC for a target shooter. I also have a friend who owns several hundred acres of land and disused sand pits within walking distance of my house. I already do a bit of pigeon shooting on his land, but whats the procedure  if i wanted to do accompanied target shooting in one of his old quarries.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have a closed ticket and the land has not been passed then no you you can’t shoot it with your FAC sec1 .

i have just noticed your ticket is for target shooting only . In that case no your to have to speak to your FEO / Licensing  dept , Also keep in mind recreational shooting is off limits until restrictions have been lifted . So all is to play for ! 

always remember, whatever your license says you allowed to do , is ALL you can do . 

Cheers, Land is cleared for Deer and Vermin ( and even the odd cormorant) shooting and i assume target shooting as well as he has a "zero range" the gamekeepers use .  I'll see if I can get hold of the FEO and see what he says.

image.png

1 minute ago, martin_b said:

Cheers, Land is cleared for Deer and Vermin ( and even the odd cormorant) shooting and i assume target shooting as well as he has a "zero range" the gamekeepers use .  I'll see if I can get hold of the FEO and see what he says.

image.png

Like I said if ALL you have is a target shooting condition at a home Office approved range  Blah blah you your have to speak to your licensing dept . 
shouldn’t be a problem as long as your a good enough reason for whatever your asking for 👍

Just now, One on top of two said:

Like I said if ALL you have is a target shooting condition at a home Office approved range  Blah blah you your have to speak to your licensing dept . 
shouldn’t be a problem as long as your a good enough reason for whatever your asking for 👍

Will do, cheers

1 hour ago, One on top of two said:

If you have a closed ticket and the land has not been passed then no you you can’t shoot it with your FAC sec1 .

i have just noticed your ticket is for target shooting only . In that case no your to have to speak to your FEO / Licensing  dept , Also keep in mind recreational shooting is off limits until restrictions have been lifted . So all is to play for ! 

always remember, whatever your license says you allowed to do , is ALL you can do . 

Define recreational shooting..?

Sikamalc on stalking directory in deer stalking general has written an article on this subject being most stalkers are classed as recreational stalkers and in only certain circumstances would be ok..

It's worth a read if your unsure 👍

7 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Sikamalc on stalking directory in deer stalking general has written an article on this subject being most stalkers are classed as recreational stalkers and in only certain circumstances would be ok..

It's worth a read if your unsure 👍

I’m not unsure . 
Your the one who asked the definition of recreational shooting ? 

2 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Many FACs I've seen recently have the approved range condition changed to something like "on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim" since no one approves civilian ranges any more.

But if anything goes wrong and it isn't built to a suitable standard don't expect to get let off with a warning.

It sounds like none of us should be going out shooting unless you own/run or live on a farm. Not sure there is any other exceptions...

I am still working but not sure for how much longer as we're running out of materials fast because most merchant's are closed 🙄

37 minutes ago, No i deer said:

It sounds like none of us should be going out shooting unless you own/run or live on a farm. Not sure there is any other exceptions...

I am still working but not sure for how much longer as we're running out of materials fast because most merchant's are closed 🙄

Not true.  If you are employed for vermin control, be that a professional gamekeeper or not, and you can show good reason, then how can restrictions apply?  You would have to be sure of your good reason and it would have to stand up in court.  An example is someone who undertakes fox control for a farmer who cannot do that himself and is experiencing issues and lost lambs or is in threat of losing lambs during this year's lambing season.  Food production is an essential activity and so is anything that supports it.  Too many sanctimonious arm chair warriors spouting BS on this across forums.....meet those conditions, check with your licensing department and have it recorded, plus advise local plod of when you intend going out so that they are not called unnecessarily to reports of shooting and you are acting within the law.  The Coronavirus Act 2020 is available online for those who have not yet read it.

1 hour ago, VarmLR said:

Not true.  If you are employed for vermin control, be that a professional gamekeeper or not, and you can show good reason, then how can restrictions apply?  You would have to be sure of your good reason and it would have to stand up in court.  An example is someone who undertakes fox control for a farmer who cannot do that himself and is experiencing issues and lost lambs or is in threat of losing lambs during this year's lambing season.  Food production is an essential activity and so is anything that supports it.  Too many sanctimonious arm chair warriors spouting BS on this across forums.....meet those conditions, check with your licensing department and have it recorded, plus advise local plod of when you intend going out so that they are not called unnecessarily to reports of shooting and you are acting within the law.  The Coronavirus Act 2020 is available online for those who have not yet read it.

Thank you 👍

I just couldn’t be assed anymore 

but for the record 

I am game keeper , in fact I have been the keeper on the estate for 12 years now , and paid by the estate. 

I run it all and have a considerable financial interest in it too . 

I’m also paid by two other estates for all the crop protection  , I supply all the bird scarers / Gas guns  and bangers and cover the maintenance too . Also moving them to the vulnerable areas as and when needed , 7 days a week .
and if that does not work I will shoot the fields as per current DEFRA general license conditions. 

during lambing season I will also be doing predator control . which those that do it or have done it will know  is a full on job and with NO room for mistakes or idiots . 

at drilling times I jump on the machines and help drill , ( which is what I’m busy doing tomorrow ) 

harvest time Upto game season I’m  Nearly full time With everything going on . 

I also own my own land , I have stables and horses . 

I should be covered 👍 

I belive  the above qualifies me as  one of the so-called key workers .... your welcome 👍

Well that’s half of my income haha 😂 

as for the other half , Im a partner in small building firm with few great lads doing what we have done for the past 30 yrs  and thats farm maintenance  also one off houses , and extensions  ect ect , However being a partner affords me the luxury of just helping out as and when which in turn allows me to do what I love the most ... that would be the farm / game keeper / crop protection side of things . 

9 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Thank you 👍

I just couldn’t be assed anymore 

but for the record 

I am game keeper , in fact I have been the keeper on the estate for 12 years now , and paid by the estate. 

I run it all and have a considerable financial interest in it too . 

I’m also paid by two other estates for all the crop protection  , I supply all the bird scarers / Gas guns  and bangers and cover the maintenance too . Also moving them to the vulnerable areas as and when needed , 7 days a week .
and if that does not work I will shoot the fields as per current DEFRA general license conditions. 

during lambing season I will also be doing predator control . which those that do it or have done it will know  is a full on job and with NO room for mistakes or idiots . 

at drilling times I jump on the machines and help drill , ( which is what I’m busy doing tomorrow ) 

harvest time Upto game season I’m  Nearly full time With everything going on . 

I also own my own land , I have stables and horses . 

I should be covered 👍 

I belive  the above qualifies me as  one of the so-called key workers .... your welcome 👍

Well that’s half of my income haha 😂 

as for the other half , Im a partner in small building firm with few great lads doing what we have done for the past 30 yrs  and thats farm maintenance  also one off houses , and extensions  ect ect , However being a partner affords me the luxury of just helping out as and when which in turn allows me to do what I love the most ... that would be the farm / game keeper / crop protection side of things . 

As you have explained you situation in full it's better understood so other shooters don't get the wrong impression thinking that it's still ok for you so it must be ok for them..

Being a paid gamekeeper wouldn't be considered as recreational. 

As been said many times never assume anything...!!

Thanks for shedding more light on this topic 👍