Which Calibre to start CF target shooting?

ColinBR

Hi all

I'm going to get into CF target shooting this year, and would like some input in which calibre I should be looking at for a first time CF shooter (shot CF before but not in a precision sense)

I have thought about something like the 6mmBr but would be interested in what others think. 

Thanks in advance

Colin,

Can I ‘assume’ that you are going to reload then as you have given a 6mmBR as an example cartridge (very nice cartridge BTW 😎).

My suggestions would be to first define what you want from the rifle i.e ‘what do you want it to do?’ - are you going to be shooting with a local club who’s normal ranges go to 600yards with the occasional trip to Bisley out to 1000?

Then sort your budget to cover rifle, scope and reloading kit, none of which needs to be extortionate to get you going.

Then define the rifles and scopes you fancy and get behind them if you possibly can (more important for the scope IMHO)

Lot of good factory rifles out there now but not many in 6mmBR - can only think of one.

You really do have a lot of options, see what is being used at your club?

Terry

Is that the Savage mod 12 F/TR? We have one with factory Savage 308 and 6BR barrels, plus a Bergara 6.5x47 barrel.

Pete

10 hours ago, terryh said:

Colin,

Can I ‘assume’ that you are going to reload then as you have given a 6mmBR as an example cartridge (very nice cartridge BTW 😎).

My suggestions would be to first define what you want from the rifle i.e ‘what do you want it to do?’ - are you going to be shooting with a local club who’s normal ranges go to 600yards with the occasional trip to Bisley out to 1000?

Then sort your budget to cover rifle, scope and reloading kit, none of which needs to be extortionate to get you going.

Then define the rifles and scopes you fancy and get behind them if you possibly can (more important for the scope IMHO)

Lot of good factory rifles out there now but not many in 6mmBR - can only think of one.

You really do have a lot of options, see what is being used at your club?

Terry

Hi Terry

Yes I will be shooting with the local club and out to 600 yards. They have a 200 yard range to get things started with also. 

I'm thinking of going down the semi-custom route with the likes of a tikka action. 

I already have a decent scope sitting there ready, so dont have that expense to worry about.

Colin,

By ‘semi-custom’ again I’m assuming you’re looking at having a nice barrel in the cal/cartridge you like with the ideal twist and profile fitted to a base rifle, so the 6mmBR (or possibly 6mm Dasher?)

at 600 yards with 100+ grain bullets it will be cruising 😎

T

2 hours ago, terryh said:

Colin,

By ‘semi-custom’ again I’m assuming you’re looking at having a nice barrel in the cal/cartridge you like with the ideal twist and profile fitted to a base rifle, so the 6mmBR (or possibly 6mm Dasher?)

at 600 yards with 100+ grain bullets it will be cruising 😎

T

Yes Terry you assume correct. I'd be looking at having a nice barrel to go on the action.

I'll speak to a gunsmith about having the work done. Not sure on what twist rate to go for with the 6mmBr yet though. 

2 hours ago, justin credible said:

A 6BR would be a very good choice for the distances you would be shooting.

A 6BR is very difficult to beat at ranges up to 300yds.

Thanks

Looks like my intial thoughts on what to go for were half decent. 

Just need to decide on how I want the rifle to look now. 

One possible consideration is if you want a mag feeder or not. It is possible to have 6br feed from a mag but they don’t generally work well with over 5 in a mag ( AICS mag mods) and factory offerings like a Blaser lrs2 have a less than optimal twist rate for target pills. 

A more “general purpose “ rifle like a Tikka T3 Tac A1 in 6.5 Creed would get you into a platform for around  £1700 that could be later customised when you have a better idea of your specific needs and wants. It is a perfectly good platform for CSR, PRL, Mc Queens etc out of the box  but could be sold with not much loss if your interest take you down a very equipment specific route ( like f class). 

I would avoid semi-custom or custom at the start. You tend to get less return for your money if you wish to sell it. 

Budget considerations for reloading?

If you just want to try it out and have access to a club rifle, you could start trying various calibres to see which you prefer shooting.

Reloading costs can vary a lot depending on calibre.  If this is an issue and you just want to practice skills, then the cheapest solution to 600 (but no further really) might be the humble .223 with tight twist (1/7 to 1/8 for up to 77/80grn bullets....80gr might be pushing it a bit for a 1/8).

If barrel life needs to be a consideration and you intend on shooting a lot, small calibre for charge column/case dia rounds such as .243 or 6mm CM will burn out a barrel in a half or third of the time that a .308 might carry on with acceptable accuracy for.

Middle ground might be 6.5 x 47 (ideal 600 yd cal), or any of the other available 6.5s or perhaps the 6mm br (2000 to perhaps 2800 rounds per barrel seems a commonly experienced lifespan if velocities are kept sensible and loads aren't too hot).

T3 is not a bad place to start.  Loads of custom chassis options, decent trigger.

Thanks guys

Lots of great info here for me to have a think about. As I expected, a bit of thinking time required before I delve in any further. 

Though I have got my heart set on a T3 action to start things off.