Hi, toying with the idea of having a go at F TR or some other long range target shooting.  Thinking of using a .308.

So what scopes do people use?  

I shoot field target air rifles and use a 50 mag on that and one of my .22lr has a 40 mag and even when shooting offhand I tend to leave them on full mag.

So I'm thinking high mag if it's up to 1000yds but what's man enough to handle the recoil?

Cheers Grifff

Yeh - quality scopes from March, Nightforce, Sightron, Vortex are all popular. 

Weight is always an issue with an FTR build so the lighter scopes are favored.  The Sightron and March are around 25 ounces, the Vortex Golden Eagle and Nightforce Competition about 29 ounces.

Magnification-wise,  8 - 32 would be the minimum but most shooters have the higher mag. range but probably use about 40 power.

If you're just toying with the idea, you won't want to fork out two grand on a scope but the 8-32 Sightron is about £800 new or £600 s/h.

Here's a screenshot of a Bisley electronic monitor taken a few weeks ago at 1000yds. The rifle is a 6.5x47 Tikka M595 shot off a home-made bipod and butt bag. No good for FTR, (wrong calibre, too heavy), but the scope is a 6-24 Sightron set at 14x................

Sorry, a bit got cut off..................my point is that the Sightron 6-24 would be a good scope for F/TR.

It has sharp contrasty glass, and is not too heavy.

DSCN2965 M 2 65.jpg

Have to agree with Vince , I've just had a Terminator and whilst it would be perfect for either FTR or Open it's just too heavy . It's heavier than an NXS by some margin .

Get yourself a Nightforce Competition and another 3 inches of barrel length  !

OSOK

I shoot Nightforce and Bushnell Elite Tactical.

Very high mag is not  ideal as it only takes a warm day and you'll find yourself winding it down to 18 to 20 times due to mirage anyway, not that we have to worry about that for much of the year in the UK, but when it does occur, it can be problematical.  It's not so much of an issue for FT air rifle shooting where distances are very limited but becomes more problematical when a few hundred yards or more out, and certainly by 1000.  I'd concentrate on the quality of the glass rather than on ultra high mags, but everyone's eyes are different so you're best advised to get a look through as many as you can before committing significant funds.  Re-Pete makes the point above that he shoots at 14x and that 6-24 is a good range which I would agree.  I rarely shoot much more than 18x at 1000. 

Grifff , I have a different view on the needs of FTR or F-Open in scopes . Your scope wants to have between 30x and 45x with an MOA based fine reticle which you can quickly make changes from without worrying about different target ring sizes .

My advice would be to set your scope to around 40x and test it at 100 yards with a windage markings on your reticle , by turning your zoom ring slightly you'll move the appropriate ash line over the equivalent mark that you've put on your test paper and then you will know where the reticle is calibrated for on your scope .

Do not assume that if it says on the box The ranging is exactly  22x & 42x for example it's right  !!!

I would also suggest that in a match once you set the zoom don't touch unless really have to , If you intend looking at other targets to confirm a wind call then use a seperate spotter by the side don't zoom down .

Mirage always seems to cause people to reach for the zoom ring but be prepared for a POI shift which most will put down to a slight condition change but it's more likely to be POI which at 1000 yards is magnified .

The higher mag will enable you to hold around the  ' v ' and ' 5 ' ring with more precision when conditions are very slight and on these days the top shooters will not worry about hitting the ' V & 5 ' but missing the odd one  !

Just my thoughts

OSOK

• 2 months later...

Archived