New 6mm

6.5 shooter

Thinking out loud more than anything I supose,

When I come to rebarrel my current 6mm rifle what should I go for again.

The new 6.5 creedmoor necked down to 6mm but then I came across this picture of the 6xc and 6.5 creedmoor side by side and it looks like the 6mm creedmoor has already been invented in the 6xc.

Only thing would sway me is the new 6.5 brass from lapua with small primer pocket....

77AC15F2-960F-41FC-9AE3-03EE1E07F53A.png

The 6XC is David Tubb's latest answer to the ideal 'accross the course' cartridge-and much development has gone into such a cartridge-which shoud be kept in mind-there are specific rifle and ammo desireablesin that shooting discipline.

That said,it does not mean the 6XC is not a good cartridge for somee other uses-it's essentially a shortened 243w formed by firing a 22/250 case in a chamber cut .132 short by the 243w reamer,and a 30 degree shoulder..Tubb claims it has 8 grains less capacity than the 243w 'but attains virtually the same velocities ". Seems a little unlikely to me,having both 243w and 250 Savage-the latter is definitely a bit behind the former...though a delightful shooting cartridge nonetheless. 3000-3500 rounds might be expected,and the usual minor maybe plusses for the 30 degree shoulder can be claimed...'shot out' here means 'losing points at 600yards,ok for 200y-probaly a bit better than lighter loaded 243w.

I think Tubb sells amm,maybe brass-or there is the alleged fun in making it-as with wildcats.I don't shoot 'accross the course'-just accross the moors and fileds,and not with a typical 'atc' rifle (AR derivative,or Tubb 2000) so I don't see any real gain over the 243w in the world I shoot in. But if I had a Tubb 2000 in 6XC i'd no doubt change my mind-or add the combo to the good things in life.

John MH shoots the 6XC and will have a deeper appreciation of its merits.It's a vey good horse for it's intended course-perhaps the best so far-as mild as the 250,with close to 243 performance (somehow-let's say 'efficiency').For the non competitor,especially the "off the shelf/easy availablity" option shooter-and Tubb says pretty much this-rather than aficionado/prudent reloader, it's not quite so appealing.but nice,and with a corresponding shooting platform,very nice.Spendy,of course,but X rated.

Ref :Tubb,D The Rifle Shooter 2003 edition

gbal

6xc over .243

Better barrel life

Lower recoil

Lower noise

Better accuracy

Better brass life

Less case stretch

Pull more chicks

More efficient

I have both for different purposes. .243 i shoot 55gn when lamping, 6xc with 105 amax for long range varmints, park deer culling and gongs

Speaking from a Creedmoor owner's perspective the CM is hard to beat and when the new Lapua small primer brass becomes readily available it'll be even better.

It's as accurate as the 6.5 x 47L and comes into its own with the heavier bullets, i.e 140 - 142 grainers. Whereas, in my experience, the 47 works best with 120-130 grain heads.

I've found it too easy to get loose primer pockets with Hornady cases if you get the pressures too high. We'll see how this pans out with the new Lapua cases.

Go interesting, get a 6x57 ;)

It has a unique name-and it came first but 244Rem owners need not feel outdone:

6x57 Mauser(6.2x57 RWS even more exotically) is the 1894 6.5x57 Mauser/RWS necked down itself from the 7x57 Mauser of 1892 (the 7x57 of course has endured as one of the great all round game cartridges).

The 6x57 Mauser is practically identical to the modern 244/6mm Remington,with only very minor shoulder angle variation;this 244Rem is the 257 Roberts necked down to 6mm,with the shoulder increased from 20"45' to 26";and the 257 Roberts was a necked down original 7x57 Mauser.

Almost certainly independently,and at different times,there was convergence to an near identical point-the 244 Rem was around in all but name 60 years before Remington got round to 'introducing' it. It/they are fine 6mm cartridges,however they came about (and Remington's change of name from the 1955 244Rem to the 1963 6mmRem-with a faster twist,to attempt a belated catch up with the 243W).

What's in a name?

gbal

Gbal, indeed, just think it looks kinda cool, not a .243W and with slightly better performance if loaded right

Fine...the 244Rem aka 6x57 is a fine cartridge,which edges the 243...as is the 6.2x57RWS-which sounds quite exotic !

Go for it,if that's your whim.

Of course,we might be ever so slightly naughty....

....and call it the 6x275 Rigby...now,to me, that sounds proper classy !

What fun :-)

gbal

Fine...the 244Rem aka 6x57 is a fine cartridge,which edges the 243...as is the 6.2x57RWS-which sounds quite exotic !

Go for it,if that's your whim.

Of course,we might be ever so slightly naughty....

....and call it the 6x275 Rigby...now,to me, that sounds proper classy !

What fun :-)

gbal

Or stay with quarterbore and get .257x275. That should cause some typos ;)

The XC is very close to the 6 Creedmoor as you point out. The Creedmoor will have small primer lapua brass that you can easily neck down. Makes it a no brainer in my book.

What you really need to consider the accessibility of the chamber you want. Does the gunsmith have one on the shelf or are you going to have the added expense of buying the reamer.

Or stay with quarterbore and get .257x275. That should cause some typos ;)

Indeed-I actually have a 257x275,but refer to it as my

"Roberts Rigby" ............ (though I may be doing dyslexics no favours,on reflection).

g

Archived