338 lap mag.

Dac9976

I have an MRAD and a TRG42. My 42 is a 1:12 twist and the MRAD a 1:10 so will shoot the heavier projectiles.

Both are great to shoot, the MRAD being lighter.

Hi Mike

Been looking at a AI AWSM for sale but it's a 1:11 twist rate which I think is standard for this rifle. Do you think this would limit the bullet weights to be used i.e. it will struggle with heavier bullets?

Danny.

I'm having one built.

John Carr action, unknown what brand of barrel as yet, 1:10 to run 300 grainers.

I'm having one built.

John Carr action, unknown what brand of barrel as yet, 1:10 to run 300 grainers.

Nice.

What made you go down the custom route?

Danny.

I'm having one built.

YES , must see this when its done , what action is it ? New intergrated rail job ? :)

I have an AW .338.

As with all AI's ..its superb.

Don't get hung up on the real heavyweight bullets. The .338 was designed to shoot the 250 grain bullet. When you get to 300,s you find they won't mag feed out of non CIP rifles usually.

A 1 in 10 twist can be marginal for the 300 grain too, a 1 in 9 is better.

I,ve always found the trade off in the heavyweights is a much slower velocity [obviously] and this is very apparent indeed at extreme range.

Used both weights extensively, in both my AI and my last custom Surgeon. I stick with the 250,s and the top speeds.

Rifles are a personal choice. I've shot 5 different Barratts, and every one of them was awful. The gun is too light and kicks you to death. Couldn't hit a thing with any of them.

My old surgeon still holds the Fly shoot record, and it was a heavy gun.

You need weight and a good brake or mod.

Have had an Aiawsm, DTA srs and currently have an AIAXMC. The DTA was more portable and easier to shoot from any position other than prone. I shoot better with the AIAXMC from prone as it is a big heavy lump. In 338 the quick change barrel, 10 round mag and larger receiver give it an advantage over the Aiawsm as does the 1:9.33 twist.

Tried 250g Scenars and 300g Scenars. I prefer 250 grain Scenars as it is rare that I get past 1km, which is where the 300 gainers start to shine if you can get the muzzle velocity . The 250g Scenars give less vertical on target at 1km for me. I think this is due to it being flatter shooting so the descent angle is less and less critically to variations in muzzle velocity.

Bergers would be the best bet I guess, but I have no reliable supply of these.

As a heavy build, for prone ELR, I would be looking at a 30" barrel, probably on a RPA Quadlite action.

I have an AW .338.

As with all AI's ..its superb.

Don't get hung up on the real heavyweight bullets. The .338 was designed to shoot the 250 grain bullet. When you get to 300,s you find they won't mag feed out of non CIP rifles usually.

A 1 in 10 twist can be marginal for the 300 grain too, a 1 in 9 is better.

I,ve always found the trade off in the heavyweights is a much slower velocity [obviously] and this is very apparent indeed at extreme range.

Used both weights extensively, in both my AI and my last custom Surgeon. I stick with the 250,s and the top speeds.

Rifles are a personal choice. I've shot 5 different Barratts, and every one of them was awful. The gun is too light and kicks you to death. Couldn't hit a thing with any of them.

My old surgeon still holds the Fly shoot record, and it was a heavy gun.

You need weight and a good brake or mod.

Food for thought Dave,thank you.

Had my first outing with FCSA today, very impressed. Well organised and very safe but also a really relax feeling to the day.

Didn't speak to anyone who didn't enjoy themselves today.....spot on.

Danny.

Nice.

What made you go down the custom route?

Danny.

A couple of things.

The biggest thing is that I'm perpetually skint, and crap at saving. So having a rifle bought in components and stored in bits with my rifle builder, until I can afford everything and have it assembled, works for me. It's actually working out cheaper for me, than say an AW, or DTA(try getting one now ;)). Do see the odd TRG come up for sale at reasonable prices, but they are predominantly running 1:12 twist tubes? Not what I want, so it'd be a compromise, or a re-barrel.....

I'm also after making something somewhat M40A5-esque, obviously on a long action, with a longer barrel, but McMillan A4, Surefire muzzlebrake, etc......

Short term I've got an HS Precision to chuck it in til such time I can afford the McMillan, and it gets me shooting while I wait....

A couple of things.

The biggest thing is that I'm perpetually skint, and crap at saving. So having a rifle bought in components and stored in bits with my rifle builder, until I can afford everything and have it assembled, works for me. It's actually working out cheaper for me, than say an AW, or DTA(try getting one now ;)). Do see the odd TRG come up for sale at reasonable prices, but they are predominantly running 1:12 twist tubes? Not what I want, so it'd be a compromise, or a re-barrel.....

I'm also after making something somewhat M40A5-esque, obviously on a long action, with a longer barrel, but McMillan A4, Surefire muzzlebrake, etc......

Short term I've got an HS Precision to chuck it in til such time I can afford the McMillan, and it gets me shooting while I wait....

Shooting keeps me skint mate, I know the feeling.

Sounds a good project. Will look forward to seeing the finished rifle.

Danny.

A couple of things.

Makes sense , coughing up £9600 for a rifle with no scope or mod is rather a lot in any ones book !!!!

https://www.sportingservices.co.uk/collections/rifles-1/products/maverick-41-338-lap-mag-rifle-system

If I had the cash I'd have an AI happily, I shot next to Sapper811 last month, and his AW is a beauty. As was the AX50 on show at Warcop today......

Sadly though, I am but a peasant, and have to make do with what I can afford and realistically justify ;)

If I had the cash I'd have an AI happily, I shot next to Sapper811 last month, and his AW is a beauty. As was the AX50 on show at Warcop today......

Sadly though, I am but a peasant, and have to make do with what I can afford and realistically justify ;)

You have my sympathy Grum, for on a Beat Keepers wages I know the feeling! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the twin to Baldies custom Surgeon 338.....low recoil as quite heavy....feels like a 'robust' 308 load.....could shoot it all day.

Brill with 250g Scenars but trying to get hold of some 300g Bergers to stretch past 1400 whilst still going a bit quick!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived