Considering a 6mm BR..

Small Deer and longer range plinking is the plan

Won't be a full custom, am aware it will probably fussy to feed from mag

But what Factory actions (size and make) are people using?

Anyone managed to get any of the Sako short actions (A1, S491) to work?

Am planning to run up to 105gr

yes I thought about 6.5s but that puts me in a bullet weight range I already have covered

would really like a sub .243 sized case that can shoot 105's

reading up there seem to be a lot of sako and tikka short actions being used from A1 - 75, L461, M55, M595 etc

its just the English roe deer ME limit on the 100-105 range I am now thinking may be a stretch with a 24" barrel

27-2800fps doable for a 105gr in a 24" barrelled 6BR?

Going by the Berger manual, 105 gr bullets in the 6 mm BR Remington at 2.200 COAL" and in a 24" barrel gives velocities between 2,646-2,748 fps max. If you load to 6 mm BR Norma COAL (2.441") then you can get near 2,682-2,802 fps. A longer barrel will give potentially higher velocities, plus the selection of powders such as Reload Swiss RS 60 or 62 should push that velocity range even higher.

PS A rather interesting fact came out while playing with the figures. It seems, at least for the data on the 6 mm BR Remington and BR Norma with their 105 gr bullets, that Berger's data is most likely computed using QuickLOAD!!! (I used the 105, Hunt BTHP 24528 at their BR Remington length 2.200" COAL and BR Norma length of 2.441" in the program.) There are a few loads that give slightly different velocities (10-20 fps), but this could easily be attributed to them using earlier QuickLOAD powder data, the book published in 2012, my powder data file from 2015. How very interesting and rather surprising, how naughty of you Berger :o

Tikka 590 action rebarreled 6mmbr feeds perfectly from 22/250 mag drops roe no problem all work was done by baldie had one on my ticket for 2 years before I took the plunge glad I did

I'm comfortably shooting 105g @ 2850 out of a 26in barrel so you should get there safely.

Mine is an RPA Quadlite, single shot so no feeding problems :D

Incredibly accurate round and a pleasure to shoot. I've shot mine accurately @ 800yds, @ 600yds its stupid accurate....

Theres one for sale on here that I'd buy in a heart beat if I didn't have 2 already....

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/31827-rpa-6br/

I have had two Tikka 595 in 6 BR.

The rifle built by Neil McKillop fed absolutely perfectly every time from a 22.250 mag.

So it can be done,

The other 6 br rifle - was a pain in the ass for feeding TBH.

What was the other rifle action out of interest?

I had a cooper single shot. Very accurate but i felt it lacked power/velocity. Didnt last long with me. A fast twist .243 or 6xc excites me more (have slot for 6xc at the moment for culling park deer, just need to find the donor)

looks lovely Gaz

out of my range am afraid

be interested in what twists ans barrel lengths people have gone for

don't really want a 26" if I can avoid it

prefer a 22 or 24"

only really need 2700-2750 with 105s which seems doable

looks lovely Gaz

out of my range am afraid

be interested in what twists ans barrel lengths people have gone for

don't really want a 26" if I can avoid it

prefer a 22 or 24"

only really need 2700-2750 with 105s which seems doable

Mines at 22 inch light varmint fluted kreiger

What's your price range

Gaz

Forgot to say loves the 105gr amax at 2750 taken crows rabbits out to 600 plus yards foxes at 500 and steel out to 1000 yards ? I'm giving up on the long range plinking side of shooting only reason for sale ?

Gaz

Forgot to say loves the 105gr amax at 2750 taken crows rabbits out to 600 plus yards foxes at 500 and steel out to 1000 yards I'm giving up on the long range plinking side of shooting only reason for sale

Gaz

You realise that you will have to change your username if you sell it......

Tikka 590 action rebarreled 6mmbr feeds perfectly from 22/250 mag drops roe no problem all work was done by baldie had one on my ticket for 2 years before I took the plunge glad I did

Hi there,

I've got one built by Dave (Baldie) on a Tikka 595 action and although I've got 3 and 5 shot 22-250 mags, I still find it inconsistent in feeding. Not too major, but enough to cause an issue if quick reloading for follow up shots, is required.

The rifle itself is way more accurate than I thought; but that's credit to the builder, rather than me.

Still very happy with it and wouldn't dream of being without it.

Great calibre.

Go for it; and enjoy!!!

Cheers. Paul

I got one built by dasherman , m590 feeds perfect , 25" 105 Amaxs @ 2720 , super accurate , perfect for longer range circa 700 on a good day , plenty of barrel life , id by gazez if i didn't have one already ;)

I should have my new Tikka 595 mag repeater in a little while(fingers crossed)

Tikka 595 22" tube 1-12

Mcmillan varmint

22-250mag

should get decent velocity with the 55g -65g bullets and the right powder (I had 3900+ with my 27" tubed br)

Ill let you know how it work:-)

Regards Andy

So I just ran a 6mm BR dummy round (105gr) through a Sako 75 .243 floorplate model action

chambers like a dream.
Can't understand what all this fuss is about
chambers from under the magwell clip, dropped in push feed, several times, fast and slow

seems much ado 'bout nuffink...

seems I may get a short action, floorplate, Sako 6mm BR afterall...

Archived