Tuned Scales

Brillo

A while back there was a topic about accuracy of beam scales and one of the posters suggested getting a tune job done by 1066 on here, maker of the Targetmaster trickler.

I contacted him (Allan) and he agreed, as a one-off, to tune my Redding scales for me.

I have to say his workmanship is first class and the difference it has made is amazing. They are now incredibly sensitive and will register a difference of one kernel of RS52! Unfortunately for others, he stressed that he doesn't have tome to do any more at this moment in time.

The downside for me is that I'm running out of excuses for fluffed shots.

Here is his YouTube video of the scales in action "https://www.youtube.com/embed/np2XyJlN3Js"

Needless to say I'm a very happy bunny. Many thanks Allan.

Concur,

Allan's tuning work + his Target master is a very nice combination, binned my electronic scale/dispenser set up after using it.

IMHO the only step up for me now would be a Prometheus 2 - which is not going to happen for a loooong time (if ever! :) )

T

I purchased a set of 5-0-5 scales from UKV a few weeks ago (not tuned) I have to say I was quite surprised by the accuracy when a bit of time and care is taken. I measured 4 loads of 47.3 grains and checked them on my A&D FX120i which will weigh a kernel of powder. Two of the charges were exact and the other two charges were two kernels over weight. That's pretty good going in my book, but far to slow for me.

Is a targer master that much quicker than spooning most of the charge and trickling the rest?

I have a set of 5-0-5 and home made trickler but want to speed things up a bit.

If I had to throw all my loading gear out bar one item....it would be the target master sat on the bench.

Without a doubt, the best bit of loading gear going. Completely foolproof.

Is a targer master that much quicker than spooning most of the charge and trickling the rest?

That (throwing most of the charge + trickling) is what you do with the TargetMaster. The cheapest / easiest accessory for the device is a set of Lee powder charge cups as you don't need an expensive powder measure. 1.5-3gn below the desired final weight is ideal. Google 'Target Master Trickler' and you'll find a raft of You Tube videos showing how it works as well as 1066's own website with embedded video.

The device does it maybe quicker than you can trickle, maybe not, depending on technique but more to the point once set up does it very precisely. It is more accurate and consistent than any of the electronic scales / dispensers combos. It's also a lot less work and eyestrain to throw / weigh / trickle 100 charges accurately than doing it the traditional way. That little light beam and a few electronic gizzmos make life a whole lot simpler.

Targetmaster has been on my wish list for over a year now but for some reason i still haven't ordered one.

That may have to change soon.

No doubt that tuning a decent mechanical scale can make a difference. Far more accurate and reliable than cheap electronic scales.

With regard to cross-checking with an FX120, I see some smart dude in the States has developed an add-on electronic board for the FX120 that essentially turns it into a dispenser. From the video I saw of it in action, it took very little time to top up a thrown charge. Might be the best of both worlds. I may well stump up for the add-on when they become available.

No doubt that tuning a decent mechanical scale can make a difference. Far more accurate and reliable than cheap electronic scales.

With regard to cross-checking with an FX120, I see some smart dude in the States has developed an add-on electronic board for the FX120 that essentially turns it into a dispenser. From the video I saw of it in action, it took very little time to top up a thrown charge. Might be the best of both worlds. I may well stump up for the add-on when they become available.

I'm on that wagon already and have one ordered.

As Laurie said that is what you are doing, but it speeds it up in the sense that you are not actually having to do it, I am seating the last bullet while the Targetmaster is trickling the next charge. It also makes the whole process more relaxed by taking away the fine judgement part, loading is much less tiring when using it than when trickling by hand.

I am lucky that Allan tuned my fairly old 10-10 scale. It is perfect now. I only load hunting ammo but still like to be as consistent as possible.

He turned my old scale that wouldn't zero properly into a precision instrument.

Excellent service from a skilled guy.

The target master is the best reloading accessory I've bought in ages. I throw a charge that's light from my lee powder measure, I've found that it's best to throw a charge that is just too light to raise the beam of the scale. Just hit the button then let the TM do its biz. :) loads faster than doing it by hand and with my iPhone set up on a tripod using the magnifying glass app I can quickly visually check the charge is bang on :)

Archived