Sako 75 action value

As above shot out sako 75

In 308

Thanks Lee

I would have said as a doner maybe £250. There was an A1 sako in 308 for sale near me for about £300 for a couple of years, stock was naff and it took ages to sell even at that money so I might be OTT. Somebody building a semi custom on a BR case or perhaps a 260 then its a cost effective way to go.

A

Barrelled action only ?

£250.

Tube still on thought they'd be more money in the 75 action so could be the way to go but t3 or 590 might be better option looking to put together 6mm br on budget Also availability of ppc mag could be an issue on the sako route

Lee

They will be more money Lee, miles more.

Its ok suggesting £250 but where exactly are these actions that can be bought for £250? I will take a dozen right now if anyone wants to sell.

As I said to you by PM, a well respected gunsmith recently quoted me £650 for a shot out but decent condition Sako 75 in .223 with stock and barrel attached. You only have to take a look on guntrader/gunstar to see you can't even get a Remy 700 for less that £300 and theres only one on at that price, all the others start at £400 upwards, even more for T3 or 595.

Three actions only, blued £250 to £300, stainless £300 to £350. One and four actions are worth more, up to £100 more. Shot out rifles have stocks that have a value and maybe scope rings and moderators, shot out barrels have no value. Tikkas and older Sakos are worth less. Sako 75 actions are the best factory action to build a semi custom from and will always hold these values. Shot out Remingtons have little or no value, they are not worth blue printing as the cost of this is never recoverable from a future sale.

Three actions only, blued £250 to £300, stainless £300 to £350. One and four actions are worth more, up to £100 more. Shot out rifles have stocks that have a value and maybe scope rings and moderators, shot out barrels have no value. Tikkas and older Sakos are worth less. Sako 75 actions are the best factory action to build a semi custom from and will always hold these values. Shot out Remingtons have little or no value, they are not worth blue printing as the cost of this is never recoverable from a future sale.

Makes sense to me.

Feeding 6 mm br as I understand requires ppc mag which brownel list about 120 I think ,any other down sides to going with the sako action in this cal ? Thinking 8 twist 70s for fox hopefully around 3400 mark 105 for playing?

Lee

Really ?

I,m making a good living out of doing just that.

I,ll have every rem you find for nothing..... :lol:

I will always pay £250 for ANY remington 700 action regardless of finish condition, providing its structurally sound. Same goes for tikka 595/695/590,s and T3,s. I,ve barrelled 2 x 590,s and a 595 into semi customs only this last week.Another one landed from a dealer yesterday to be converted into a 6mmBr.

Personally, I would take any of the above in front of a sako anyway. The reason ? There are no mags systems, and very limited stocks available for a sako aftermarket wise.

The last few Sako 75s Ive bought have been 250 each.

All shot out, all requiring replacement stock or refurb, reblueing action etc.

Someone who pays more may not be trade, but 250 is a fair price to pay in the trade for effectively a action which will require several hundred pounds of work to turn into a decent quality rifle

One of many mistakes I've made was to customise a Sako 75 in 243 Win. Wasted about 5 years getting it to shoot well. Bought a second hand remington and Bob's your uncle straight away.

Regards

JCS

Baldie

Surely taking a donor remy action and blueprinting it properly will put the cost of this action into the relms of your basic custom action that you offer. I take your point about aftermarket extras , but a sako 75 already has a metal bottom metal and mag. I do think a 10 round mag for a 75 would sell really well and we never personally suffer from a lack of stocks. Can there really be a better action for a small calibre like a TAC 20 than a Sako 75 1 action.

Really ?

I,m making a good living out of doing just that.

I,ll have every rem you find for nothing..... :lol:

I will always pay £250 for ANY remington 700 action regardless of finish condition, providing its structurally sound. Same goes for tikka 595/695/590,s and T3,s. I,ve barrelled 2 x 590,s and a 595 into semi customs only this last week.Another one landed from a dealer yesterday to be converted into a 6mmBr.

Personally, I would take any of the above in front of a sako anyway. The reason ? There are no mags systems, and very limited stocks available for a sako aftermarket wise.

Would it be fair to say any Sako action is a good basis for a semi custom build ?

Baldie

Surely taking a donor remy action and blueprinting it properly will put the cost of this action into the relms of your basic custom action that you offer. I take your point about aftermarket extras , but a sako 75 already has a metal bottom metal and mag. I do think a 10 round mag for a 75 would sell really well and we never personally suffer from a lack of stocks. Can there really be a better action for a small calibre like a TAC 20 than a Sako 75 1 action.

What would blueprinting a used action involve that you would not have to do on a new custom action? not much I would imagine.

What would blueprinting a used action involve that you would not have to do on a new custom action? not much I would imagine.

"If it's not a BAT ,it's not a BAT

Irrespective of condition,labour and VAT"

:-)

Google "accurising/trueing a factory (700) action" - there can be quite a bit to do !

It may well also be true that generally, spending on any action will give less performance return than on a premium custom barrel,but a custom action will be a better investment than any trued factory action (barrels are consumables,rather than investments.)

There may be a very few 'niche' exceptions....the early dinky little actions,( eg Sako ) may not have any counterpart in current custom actions,and have some nostalgic appeal,too especially in a small ,light varmint cartridge rifle. But that isn't all about £,or absolute performance.

It's a free (or expensive) choice !!

gbal

Can there really be a better action for a small calibre like a TAC 20 than a Sako 75 1 action.

I picked up a pristine 75 .222 about a month ago with the intention that one day it would be used for a 20Tac/Prac.

I love the appearance, the finish, the trigger, the stock and the double stack mag but the bolt slops about like a skinny wrist in a wizards sleeve which I find very disappointing. My 595 had a better fit and was smoother in operation and I would say the Sako is at best on par with my R700's in terms of bolt to action fit tolerance, apparently this seems to be normal?

A great little action though which I'm enjoying shooting, I just wish the bolt fit was better. :(

I've three Sakos: two 75s (RH I and LH IV) and a L691 (LH). The I is a varmint factory .204 and the other two are rebarelled and bedded only. Damn accurate all of them (albeit the 6.5x55 is a bit finicky to clean). I'd pay good money for a 75IVLH with a .473' bolt face,but can I find one? Can I heck....

No not much....

Put the action in a special jig in the lathe. Fit a custom made ground bar and indicate the raceway in.

Cut the receiver face true

Take enough out of the threads to true those up. Anything from 0.005" to 0.015" sometimes.

Cut the receiver abutments true.

Lap the raceway.

Cut the rear of the bolt lugs true.

Cut the front of the bolt lugs true.

Take a cut on the bolt nose, to make it round [they aren't ]

Aquire [or make ] a custom ground lug.

Cost of a s/h Rem action, fully trued up in this way ...750 quid

My basic Thor action.......975 quid.

No work required, simply fit a barrel.

No not much....

Put the action in a special jig in the lathe. Fit a custom made ground bar and indicate the raceway in.

Cut the receiver face true

Take enough out of the threads to true those up. Anything from 0.005" to 0.015" sometimes.

Cut the receiver abutments true.

Lap the raceway.

Cut the rear of the bolt lugs true.

Cut the front of the bolt lugs true.

Take a cut on the bolt nose, to make it round [they aren't ]

Aquire [or make ] a custom ground lug.

Cost of a s/h Rem action, fully trued up in this way ...750 quid

My basic Thor action.......975 quid.

No work required, simply fit a barrel.

So effectively you are saying its a pointless exercise as you still end up with a semi custom built rifle partly made from second hand parts?

No, exactly the opposite. A properly blueprinted Action is every bit as "true" as any custom action made, providing the gunsmith knows what he,s doing.

What i always say to customers is that if they already own a rem, its the cheapest route, or if they have access to a cheap donor.

The only downside is the resale value, as people have always percieved a blueprinted remmy to be worth less than a custom action.

In the real world however, of people in the shop actually spending money, the blueprinted remmy is as popular as ever.

I,ve got 12 brand new remington actions on order to do just this with.

Folk tend to lose their predjudices when it comes to getting their hand in their pocket..... :D

Archived